Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #1

AM I asking too little? my Boxster going on ebay...

Hey guys, I was wondering if I was asking too little $$$ for my boxster. I hate to see my baby go but here she is. Supercharged Boxster AM I asking too much? too little?

pinoyfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #2

I'm not interested as I love mine, but I just wanted to give you props, that's a nice looking Boxster and I bet its fun with that supercharger. I love the look of the interior.

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #3

I like your car, but it seems like it would be tough to get the money you've invested out of it. In my area, $29,000 will buy a 2000S with under 40k miles on it from CarMax. You should be able to do a little better from a private seller.

So, it will be up to an individual buyer to decide whether your car is more or less attractive than an unmodified car. For me, I would buy the 2000S and use the $5000 difference to make the modifications I wanted.

Also, your listing says the hardtop cost $4000. I think they were only about $3000 if purchased with the car. I recently bought a used one, and I think they are readlily available for $1200- $1500. A dealer offered me a new one for $2400.

Good luck with your sale.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #4

In general, EBAY is not a place to get a high price for your car UNLESS it is very unique and rare.

Otherwise, you are simply posting along with hundreds of others.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #5

"The chance of a lifetime?" Wow. Sell it!

You've got an NSX... That's cool! So are you keeping that?

If I didn't know you were posting this, I'd want to guess it's fake. I only say that because as an avid ebayer, I caught a red flag: Item location is San Fran. Plate on Boxster is PA... and I can't quite make it out, but the plates on the Acura owned by the seller look like NJ. Anyway, on to your question...

The more customized your car is, the smaller your market will be. Also, Brucelee makes a good point about getting a high price. It seems like eBay is good for leads, but not transactions.

The car's book value seems kinda high to me. 27k. My prediction is that the bidding will top out at just under 25k.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #6

One of the highlights of this demon machine is it's supercharged 3 liter motor.
How 'bout a picture of that?

In spite of all the hyperbole in the ad, I think this is going to be a hard sell.
Many people are going to look at it the same way I do ... as a $35,000 hand grenade with the pin pulled.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #7

Hi,

I agree with Ronzi on this one, a very tough sell. Typically, one can expect to recoup no more than 10% for aftermarket performance upgrades, but in the case of the Boxster, I suspect these will not recoup anything.

My guess, is that you'll get a top bid around $20k. That said, I see the listing already has 10 bidders and is at $15k+, so who knows. If this trend continues, I suspect it means you have some uneducated bidders. Best of Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #8

It looks like you spent a lot of time and money modifying your ride but unfortunately prevailing market conditions are definitely not in your favor. Some points...

* Edmunds TMV for the car is about $20,000 in a private transaction.

* Your buy-it-now price is between $6-15,000 more than the 90 other 1999 Boxsters in the state of California (Autotrader).

*...and between $9-20,000 more than the 24 other 1999 Boxsters on eBay.

As Ronzi indicated, your hyperbole (an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally) doesn't help the ad. Here's some constructive criticism.

I'd suggest deleting the following lines and references (with the reason):

* "...Was actually just detailed yesterday"
(sounds like John Lovitz "yeah...that's the ticket!")

* "...Car new was around 55K"
(are you sure about that?)

* "...is a real mans car"

*...I'd delete all mention of tires.
(Kumho Ecstas on a Porsche is not a selling point, and you spend the rest of the paragraph justifying it. Just don't mention the tires period, most ads skip them.)

* "OH THE TORQUE!"
(unless you're Colonel Kurtz, this just comes across as corny - actually you may want to replace the entire power/torque soliloquy with some dyno numbers or performance figures. A 2003 NSX with a manual does 0-60 in about 5 seconds and does about a 13.5 quarter...)

*"...Here is a chance to get a deal of a lifetime!"
(I'd suggest deleting both instances. Actual "deals of a lifetime" are seldom advertised as such)

Don't be shy about running the text of your listing through Microsoft Word spell-check. You have about 30-35 spelling and grammar errors (and that's not hyperbole!). You may say, why bother...but it undermines your credibility when your ad includes gems such as"...I am a porshce enthusiast ".

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 09-04-2006 at 11:13 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #9

Smile

Tough crowd!
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
Tough crowd!
Hi,

Yea, doesn't sound like there's too many potential bidders...

Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
Tough crowd!

Do you ever watch that show on HGTV where they have some real estate lady come through peoples' houses before they go on the market? She generally trashes the sellers and the property, but in the end her criticism makes the house sell for a lot more than it would have before.

There's a couple good and simple suggestions towards increasing your value, starting with tidying up the listing.

I would also say that unless you need cash, don't be in a real hurry to sell. That car may eventually appeal to someone who's looking for a car exactly like that, and that person may pay significantly more for it.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #12

the original owner of this car used to post on this site. About a year and half ago.
I'd say someone is going to get a great deal on a car with only 15K miles and plenty of oomph!

But the car has allot of mod work left to be done. Its missing Litronics, clear lamps, maybe painted bumperettes and a three spoke steering wheel. Also I don't think there is any aero treatment at all. A sleeper for sure. Strange that they skimped on tires the most important performance mod, after so much other perfromance enhancements.

btw, $40K in mods?!? who paid for that?!! If the car was aprox. $50K sticker and another $40K was spent, Mr. big bucks mod guy would have been better of taking his $90K to RUF.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
"...btw, $40K in mods?!? who paid for that?!! If the car was aprox. $50K sticker and another $40K was spent, Mr. big bucks mod guy would have been better of taking his $90K to RUF.

Hi,

You're absolutely right - it's called Obsession!

And this can be one of the issues with modding a car, once you start, there's always something more you want to do with it, where does it end?

Ironically, this can actually lead to disappointment or disastisfaction if the $$$ runs out or the enthusiasm wears thin.

And, You can't really rack up any appreciable miles, because your investment will go right along with it. Heavily modded cars are also very often low-milers as well. You try to sell the Car and realize what a bath you've taken. No one would consider buying a secondhand, heavily modded, high-mileage car for anything near the Blue Book value (they think it's either been beat, or they want to do the modding themselves).

Sometimes Learning takes place, but often it doesn't. These guys are the Idols of the Aftermarket...

Old 09-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
It is an obbsession. But to each their own. I've put well over $20K in mods to my car over 5years and I don't think im done yet. I have enjoyed every penny of it and I think thats what matters most.

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)

Last edited by TriGem2k; 09-06-2006 at 03:45 PM.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
It is an obbsession... I have enjoyed every penny of it and I think thats what matters most...

Hi,

You're 100% correct. You're doing it because it pleases you and you're keeping your car longterm (unusual for a heavily modded car).

Looking at the list in your avatar, I'd say you did more upgrading than actual modding. You used Porsche, or respected Porsche aftermarket products. These may actually be in demand if you ever sell the car. Drive On!!...

Old 09-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #16

I love the car.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyfiend
Hey guys, I was wondering if I was asking too little $$$ for my boxster. I hate to see my baby go but here she is. Supercharged Boxster AM I asking too much? too little?

IMHO the bore job reduces the value, the supercharger could as well depending in it's long term effects. It's a great looking car and I'm sure it's quite quick, good luck.
stucatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucatz
IMHO the bore job reduces the value, the supercharger could as well depending in it's long term effects. It's a great looking car and I'm sure it's quite quick, good luck.
Let me make sure I understand, you think if this place does your motor it will reduce the value?

http://www.tpcracing.us/

Are you serious?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #19

Why hasn't the original poster responded to this or the several other posts he placed here last several days ago? I think he posted his car for sale in every domain of the forum. Pinoy, come defend your car man!!

Last edited by Adam; 09-06-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #20

"Let me make sure I understand, you think if this place does your motor it will reduce the value?

http://www.tpcracing.us/

Are you serious?"

It all depends on the buyer. Personally, I would not buy any modded Boxster so I would to me, it would reduce the value.

To others, perhaps you, that would not be the case.

On balance, once rarely if ever, regains the value of these types of mods. It happens I suppose, but I have never seen or heard of it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote