Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

I forget how fun these cars are

I admit, I just like driving the speed limit. Well tonight I did the rear brakes and took out to test new pads. Anyhow, went to empty train station and got on it a bit American style though slightly rolling before I gunned it. Amazing how these car can go sideways with some gas. What a fun car. Yes not the fastest but certainly fast enough to get in trouble quick.
I've also noticed going to the track a few times to watch, the 986 holds it's own pretty well in competent hands. Impressive performance car and unique in appearance. Feel lucky to be part of the 986 club.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
I admit, I just like driving the speed limit. Well tonight I did the rear brakes and took out to test new pads. Anyhow, went to empty train station and got on it a bit American style though slightly rolling before I gunned it. Amazing how these car can go sideways with some gas. What a fun car. Yes not the fastest but certainly fast enough to get in trouble quick.
I've also noticed going to the track a few times to watch, the 986 holds it's own pretty well in competent hands. Impressive performance car and unique in appearance. Feel lucky to be part of the 986 club.
Yep, very much fun! Now, instead of watching at the track, Get ON the track and REALLY have some fun!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 AM   #3

Yeah I know. I'm working on it. My biggest fear is screwing someone else up.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I have the same kind of thoughts after driving mine. Some days I contemplate selling it since I don't drive it that much, but taking it out for a spin or autocross reverses those thoughts.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Yeah I know. I'm working on it. My biggest fear is screwing someone else up.
Go to a PCA event, you will most likely get another Boxster owner as your instructor that will know all about the car, and you don't have to worry about messing anybody else up, it will be 100% fun

If you ever come down to Roebling Road in Savannah (I think you are pretty far away though...) for a PCA HPDE event, let me know ahead of time and I will be your instructor and we will have a great time
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

The NE Region of PCA puts on some great HPDE events. I've been to Mont Tremblant with them twice and would be going to Watkins Glen with them in August if my engine wasn't currently being diagnosed for repairs. You can go to ClubRegistration.net and see what they have coming up.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

They just did a Race Night in America at Thompson. I went and watched, and think I figured out the etiquette. It might be a good place for me to start since it's not really a race. There was passing in certain sections of the track and on the straights you would just waved folks with faster cars by. No scoring or clocks.

I did drive on the track just to get a little bit of a feel. There was no passing, so i just tried to keep up with the car in front of me and follow his/her lines. It wasn't racing but it was still fun to drive around the corners at a little bit of speed. I was driving an late 90's Z3. Fun ride.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
They just did a Race Night in America at Thompson.
If that was a Track Night in America, I think you would be better off at a PCA HPDE - at Track Night in America, there are no instructors in the cars even for novices. For first timers, I don't think it gets much better than a PCA HPDE. I have seen a fair amount of novices ball their cars up at track night in america on youtube.

Here is an upcoming event at Thompson 8/24

https://clubregistration.net/events/signUp.cfm/event/9017

Quote:
For our third Vintage Day Event this year, we are scheduled to return to Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park. Steeped in racing history, Thompson is a wonderful track for both Vintage cars and new drivers to our Vintage Day Events.
Let me see if I can find out which group Boxster go in, it doesn't seem to be on this event page

OK 986 Boxster is in "Not as fast" and 986 Boxster S is in "A little faster"

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1040008-northeast-region-pca-driver-education-announces-vintage-days.html
Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If that was a Track Night in America, I think you would be better off at a PCA HPDE - at Track Night in America, there are no instructors in the cars even for novices. For first timers, I don't think it gets much better than a PCA HPDE. I have seen a fair amount of novices ball their cars up at track night in america on youtube.

Here is an upcoming event at Thompson 8/24

https://clubregistration.net/events/signUp.cfm/event/9017
AMEN and excellent synopsis, steved0x. PCA is wonderful for HPDE at all levels for safety but particularly so for novice and intermediate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Let me see if I can find out which group Boxster go in, it doesn't seem to be on this event page

OK 986 Boxster is in "Not as fast" and 986 Boxster S is in "A little faster"

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1040008-northeast-region-pca-driver-education-announces-vintage-days.html
LOL - if it's anything like regions I run with, everyone who SHOULD be A/I+ sign up to drive as A/I - ... yes you Mr. Chipped and Tuned 750HP Turbo S
Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
LOL - if it's anything like regions I run with, everyone who SHOULD be A/I+ sign up to drive as A/I - ... yes you Mr. Chipped and Tuned 750HP Turbo S
That would be one great thing about this event - none of those guys would be there :dance:
Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #11

DW - check out the autocross events at Fort Devens AFB - long & fast autos corses on closed runways. Typically 1:00 - 1:30 courses.
PCA, NESVT, BSCC, & Track Club are all great groups that get 8-12 runs per day in.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/US/
Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #12

Yeah, I completely agree with the above. If you are going to get on the track, take some sort of lessons, instruction, or whatever. The beauty of HPDE’s is they are all about learning and about driving Porsches of all types. Getting onto a track, with no experience, with a bunch of other yay-hoo’s has a real possibility of disaster. Do yourself a favor and get some instruction. It pays dividends both on the track and on the street.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote