Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Getting ready to lower engine

In a previous post it was suggested I use an engine lift to lower my 2.5L engine. I asked where do you attach the lift to and never got a response. With that said, is the bracket on top of the throttle body the correct place to attach the lift to?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

there is a porsche tool - a bar that straddles the engine bay opening. it has a chain that attaches to the point indicated on the throttle body; designed to hold the engine in place when transmission is removed.

probably strong enough, but i think most folks wrap the engine with webbing or chain and lift that way. you've got the car high enough that you might want to consider a lift table of some sort, or perhaps just fix the engine in place, remove the transmission, and roll an engine stand in there to connect directly to the engine while still in the car ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

I have no knowledge, but that bracket surely isnt strong enough to support a full engine lift will it?
Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

I used one of these:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200309403_200309403?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Engine%20Hoists%20%2 B%20Stands%20%3E%20Hoisting%20Accessories&utm_campaign=Torin%20Big%20Red&utm_content=144843&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKt5uzNqCuwCO34lfkCRc_ MurJ20OVk9SvV9GUgNNI_CkAlBFZ62e3phoCZG4QAvD_BwE

If the link doesn't work its at Northern Tool and its called the Torin Big Red Engine Support Bar. $99 and it worked great to support the engine from above.

Held the engine in the same method as is in this thread:

winter project

I am pretty sure the bracket was attached to the block, not the throttle body.

Dave
TX
2001S

Last edited by dsallean; 06-08-2018 at 11:22 AM.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Beginner

Garage
I used a hydraulic jack under a 3/4 in plywood cradle I made. Balance is an issue but I found working carefully there was little drama.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
In a previous post it was suggested I use an engine lift to lower my 2.5L engine. I asked where do you attach the lift to and never got a response. With that said, is the bracket on top of the throttle body the correct place to attach the lift to?

From where did you read about that? I'm curious.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
From where did you read about that? I'm curious.
Probably in the factory service manual which states that bracket is used to support the engine while the gear box is out.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
So am I the only one freaked out by the angle of the car on jack stands?

I have had mine +/-20" off the ground on several occasions. Using 'Liftbars' and standard jack stands. But, it is always level. Be ever so careful sir.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I had the same thought. Maybe its just me, but there is no way I'd get under that car.

I have a four post lift. Before I get under it, I always lower the deck onto the fixed stops on the posts so there is an actual mechanical stop holding the deck/car rather than relying solely on hydraulic pressure. Then I place tall jack stands under both ends of the deck to hold it up in case the mechanical stops fail. You can never be too safe under a car.

Flouese, kudos for attacking this job but please stay safe. If nothing else, do me a favor and throw some blocks in front of the front tires to keep the car from inadvertently rolling forward.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-09-2018 at 07:59 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I had the same thought. Maybe its just me, but there is no way I'd get under that car.

I have a four post lift. Before I get under it, I always lower the deck onto the fixed stops on the posts so there is an actual mechanical stop holding the deck/car rather than relying solely on hydraulic pressure. Then I place tall jack stands under both ends of the deck to hold it up in case the mechanical stops fail. You can never be too safe under a car.

Starter, kudos for attacking this job but please stay safe. If nothing else, do me a favor and throw some blocks in front of the front tires to keep the car from inadvertently rolling forward.
No, Inwrote it off as he gave it a good stability check and the photo makes it look worse the it is! Great shade tree mechanic pic for safety ad!

I dont see any choke under front tire, if you keep the angle you might add a chalk block for some extra safety.

Be safe brother!
Old 06-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #11

Oh... I’m with Stone on this one. I’d be really hard pressed to try to drop a motor at that angle. I use like 14 jack stands (kidding) when I’m under the car. That just looks a bit scary. Getting the engine aligned to get it back in would be very difficult too. Be careful under that!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #12
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Actually, I did respond to that question. I mentioned that there was a loop near the TB for that purpose.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:54 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp in pa View Post
probably in the factory service manual which states that bracket is used to support the engine while the gear box is out.
sa

. . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #14

I had mine up that high when I swapped my engine. Y'all are right, it is fairly unstable. I used stacked 2x8 slabs as insurance to catch it when it came off the jackstands Mine moved laterally. Several times, scared the heck out of me.

The other thing is that when the engine/trans is lowered to the furniture dolly, I reinforced mine with 3/4 inch plywood, it's very important to keep the assembly strapped to the dolly. Ratcheting motorcycle straps work really well for this.

There are two of the bolts that hold the trans to the rear of the engine on top. I used one of these to drop the engine with my cherry picker. You need something on the front of the engine, too, I used a loop of webbing around the power steering pump pulley and then hooked onto it with a second lift chain.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
+ 1 on this one, it looks like an accident waiting to happen...

Please lower the rear until the bottom of the car is parallel to the floor, you should have enough space, also will be way easier to reach from the top.

Please be safe...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #16
Racer Boy

At least put the wheels under the car so if it falls off the jack stands, it will land on those before crushing you. A friend of mine was crushed when his car cam off the jack stands. His funeral was very, very sad.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #17

My engine support bar finally arrived. Now my questions is; where do you attach it to? Do you use the piece on the throttle body (as shown in original post)? Is there a second attachment point?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #18

Quote:
My engine support bar finally arrived. Now my questions is; where do you attach it to? Do you use the piece on the throttle body (as shown in original post)? Is there a second attachment point?
I wouldnt attacth it to the throttlebody, that doesnt look like it will support the engine weight.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #19
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I am never getting under a car on jack stands. This is nuts!

Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I am never getting under a car on jack stands. This is nuts!

Jack stands are perfectly fine when used properly.

BIRD DOG's RULES FOR JACK STAND SAFETY
--------------------------------------------------

Don't exceed the weight limit of the jack stands.

Double them up. If one fails, no problem. They're inexpensive.

Keep the car level whenever possible.

Don't put the car up in the air any higher than necessary.

Place the wheels you remove under the rocker panels so that if it does come down, it will land on those instead of crushing you.

and...

When the car is safely up in the air, place your jack (the one that got it up there) underneath as another layer of protection. You want to place it at the closest jack point you can find as close to where you will be under the car, but where it won't interfere with what you are doing. Jack it up until it just touches the car. If you use a wheeled jack, that adds an additional bit of safety because if the car moves, the jack will move with it and keep at least that spot up in the air (and off of you).

More than one jack stand would have to fail, the wheels you placed under the rocker panels would have to magically fly sideways out from under the car, and your jack would have to fail in order for that thing to crush you. It could still theoretically come down, but at least it won't crush you.

Plus, when jacking up only the front or rear, use wheel chocks on the other two wheels. They are really inexpensive (like $7 for 2 at Northern Tool).

Dying from using jack stands automatically qualifies you to be a finalist for the Darwin Awards. Be safe! Don't let it be you!

Ok, that's my 2 cents. Please be safe!