Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Seat heaters

Has anyone added seat heaters to their boxster via one of the kits from an online retailer? I am eyeing one that is pretty cheap and comes with the buttons. I was thinking about getting one and installing an original heater switch (I have the dummy switch right now). I have to remove my driver's side seat cover anyways since I have a rip and want to get it reupholstered. I know this topic has been beat to death, but I am not talking about th $1000 option or replacing with different seats, just buying the kit and installing it under the original leather and wiring it to where the heater switch should be.

Thanks,

Old 05-31-2018, 04:11 AM   #2

The ones I am looking at are Dorman 628-040 Universal Seat Heater Kit from Amazon. I have tried to post the link a couple of times and it will not let me.

Thanks,
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-040-Universal-Seat-Heater/dp/B002U6IL9O
Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 AM   #4

Thanks, Starter. I figured it was that I had no posted enough or something. That is the one I am looking at, if anyone has any experience with it or something similar.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I posted on my website a few days ago about how I think you would wire aftermarket seat heaters to OEM switches without doing the full OEM install like Dennis Vogel's DIY. Basically, you just wire aftermarket heaters to the OEM switches and relays, and do the wiring yourself. The only part I am not sure about is the compatibility of the relays and the two stage heater functions (high, low, off), with whatever aftermarket heater elements you choose to use.

I have not tested it, but it was a project I had been very curious about for several years, and I was already reviewing the wiring diagrams for a different project so I took a few minutes to work on the heated seats. Again, no guarantees it would work, but take a look, it might be helpful.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I posted on my website a few days ago about how I think you would wire aftermarket seat heaters to OEM switches without doing the full OEM install like Dennis Vogel's DIY. Basically, you just wire aftermarket heaters to the OEM switches and relays, and do the wiring yourself. The only part I am not sure about is the compatibility of the relays and the two stage heater functions (high, low, off), with whatever aftermarket heater elements you choose to use.

I have not tested it, but it was a project I had been very curious about for several years, and I was already reviewing the wiring diagrams for a different project so I took a few minutes to work on the heated seats. Again, no guarantees it would work, but take a look, it might be helpful.
Rick,
Thanks, I will take a look. I was looking at the reviews for the one I posted and it "seems" rather straight forward. I would think it would not be "that" difficult, but who knows. I will take a look at your site and see what I can do in the next couple of months.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #7

I've done the "Dennis Vogel Install" and I think Rick's suggested procedure will work.

I recently bought a 2005 Mercedes C230 that had a torn seat cushion. When the upholsterer repaired the cushion, he inadvertently damaged the seat heating element. He replaced it with an aftermarket pad and I wired it into the system in a manner similar to the one suggested by Rick. The Mercedes has 3 heat levels and they all work fine,

You can check this thread on Rennlist for more information on seat upgrades: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/915206-upgrading-two-way-power-seats.html

Unfortunately, the document is too big to post here.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I've done the "Dennis Vogel Install" and I think Rick's suggested procedure will work.

I recently bought a 2005 Mercedes C230 that had a torn seat cushion. When the upholsterer repaired the cushion, he inadvertently damaged the seat heating element. He replaced it with an aftermarket pad and I wired it into the system in a manner similar to the one suggested by Rick. The Mercedes has 3 heat levels and they all work fine,

You can check this thread on Rennlist for more information on seat upgrades: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/915206-upgrading-two-way-power-seats.html

Unfortunately, the document is too big to post here.
Kevin,
Thank you, I will check it out. Where about do you live in VA?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #9

[QUOTE=TiberiusBoxster;571870] Where about do you live in VA?
/QUOTE]

Chesterfield County - Near Richmond

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote