Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #1

Removing roof

I am thinking that taking the roof and frame off a 2000 Boxster shouldn't be that hard. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking I need to:
Remove the aluminum part that covers the roof (Goes up and down). Remove bolts (nuts) at the cover end.

Pop off the plastic pivot pieces that are removed when doing the roof manually.

Remove two bolts that actually hold roof frame to car. Not sure where these are but I will find them.

I do not need to mess with the cables or motor that raises and lowers.

I couldn't find in my Bentley manual. Anything I am missing.

I am swapping in a painted roll bar. Figured this would make things a lot clearer.

Any suggestions for removing the sound proofing without destroying, please let me know.

I have to think this will take a bout 4 hours. Thoughts?

Thanks.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #2

Mostly correct. It's 3 bolts each side that hold the frame on, as well as a screw in the same area (maybe not present on some?). Just reach inboard of the push rods with the top in service position to locate the bolts.

Don't need to touch the cables to remove, they stay attached to the transmission drives, which you've untethered the top from when you popped off the pushrods.

If you want to remove the sound proofing foam too (you don't need to to remove the top only though) you'd need to first remove the v-levers from the transmission drives, and the plastic discs behind them, to get the foam free in that area. I've not removed the foam fully, but it just seems to have a bunch of those large plastic nuts holding it in place, should be pretty simple.

1 hour if you're going slow really (more with the foam I guess...), the mechanism in there's pretty simple really.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

I took my roof out last fall to put on my hardtop. Id be glad to help but I cant remember how I did it or how to put it back

I'm watching this thread with anticipation
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #4

if you are removing the roof just to access the roll bar then no need to mess with the foam - it is designed so as to provide access to the mounting bolts (iirc the front mounts are exposed and there's a foam wedge that is stuck in above the rear mounts).

you'll also have to get the seatbelts off. fyi - make sure they don't suck all the way in when dismounted and lock - real b!tch to unlock if they do that.

Last edited by The Radium King; 05-08-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: circumvent the censor!
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #6

I'll see if I can find out what the V Levers are? Maybe my diagram has.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #7

Well that's good. I tinkered with on Sunday and was able to see the studs towards the front pretty easy. I started working on the back but chickened out. I will take another shot at this weekend.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #8

I was just over at the Dealership because I needed some parts I couldn't find anywhere else. I asked one of the Techs about pulling the roof frame off and he made it sound like it was difficult and likely over 4 hours. I think he thought I was crazy for trying. My question is, would 2 people be enough to do this job. I am thinking my son and I can knock it off (normal strong teenager). He made it sound like I would likely bend something.

Thoughts? I am thinking maybe he is overselling so I have them do.

Not a chance!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The rollbar can be removed with the top/frame still installed, I picked up a used top that was still attached to the rollbar.

I've removed the top/frame in less than 20 minutes. Two people can easily lift it in and out. Be very careful not to damage the foam trays.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 05-09-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

So you can get to the four bolts in the back with the roof on? I took the rug out of the back and was unable to see the bolts towards the back. Seemed like too much stuff in the way.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #11

if you are swapping roll bars then the roof is going to have to come off the roll bar at some point.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #12

So the three bolts on each side of the roof go through the roll bar? I think that is what I am seeing. Remove those 6 and off it will come after releasing those plastic ball things.
Next question, how do I disconnect the speaker wire connector on the right side that is connected to the roll cage. There is a little tab that might lock it in place. I tried pulling towards side of car (doesn't seem to go any other direction) and tried sliding towards the back of the car. Can't go the other direction.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #13

Sorry, Do I need to take the roof cover off too?
Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #14

Se if Maurice's instructions help. He used to be the go to guy in the NE.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #15

Perfect. Thanks Mike. If nothing breaks, it seems pretty easy.

Any ideas for the plastic electric connector that is mounted through a hole on the right side of the roll bar. It is the wire connection for the speaker box behind the roll bar.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:39 AM   #16

Got it off and got new roll bar in. Thanks everyone for your help. I think I over thought it. Other than having to chisel off the electrical connector, it went pretty smooth.
You guys rule. Thanks again.!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 AM   #17