986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Removing roof (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72082-removing-roof.html)

DWBOX2000 05-08-2018 04:37 AM

Removing roof

I am thinking that taking the roof and frame off a 2000 Boxster shouldn't be that hard. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking I need to:
Remove the aluminum part that covers the roof (Goes up and down). Remove bolts (nuts) at the cover end.

Pop off the plastic pivot pieces that are removed when doing the roof manually.

Remove two bolts that actually hold roof frame to car. Not sure where these are but I will find them.

I do not need to mess with the cables or motor that raises and lowers.

I couldn't find in my Bentley manual. Anything I am missing.

I am swapping in a painted roll bar. Figured this would make things a lot clearer.

Any suggestions for removing the sound proofing without destroying, please let me know.

I have to think this will take a bout 4 hours. Thoughts?

Thanks.

oldskool73 05-08-2018 06:43 AM

Mostly correct. It's 3 bolts each side that hold the frame on, as well as a screw in the same area (maybe not present on some?). Just reach inboard of the push rods with the top in service position to locate the bolts.

Don't need to touch the cables to remove, they stay attached to the transmission drives, which you've untethered the top from when you popped off the pushrods.

If you want to remove the sound proofing foam too (you don't need to to remove the top only though) you'd need to first remove the v-levers from the transmission drives, and the plastic discs behind them, to get the foam free in that area. I've not removed the foam fully, but it just seems to have a bunch of those large plastic nuts holding it in place, should be pretty simple.

1 hour if you're going slow really (more with the foam I guess...), the mechanism in there's pretty simple really.

JBauer 05-08-2018 08:15 AM

I took my roof out last fall to put on my hardtop. Id be glad to help but I cant remember how I did it or how to put it back :rolleyes:

I'm watching this thread with anticipation :o

The Radium King 05-08-2018 08:30 AM

if you are removing the roof just to access the roll bar then no need to mess with the foam - it is designed so as to provide access to the mounting bolts (iirc the front mounts are exposed and there's a foam wedge that is stuck in above the rear mounts).

you'll also have to get the seatbelts off. fyi - make sure they don't suck all the way in when dismounted and lock - real b!tch to unlock if they do that.

DWBOX2000 05-08-2018 08:43 AM

Thanks for the response.

DWBOX2000 05-08-2018 08:44 AM

I'll see if I can find out what the V Levers are? Maybe my diagram has.

DWBOX2000 05-08-2018 08:47 AM

Well that's good. I tinkered with on Sunday and was able to see the studs towards the front pretty easy. I started working on the back but chickened out. I will take another shot at this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

DWBOX2000 05-09-2018 11:23 AM

I was just over at the Dealership because I needed some parts I couldn't find anywhere else. I asked one of the Techs about pulling the roof frame off and he made it sound like it was difficult and likely over 4 hours. I think he thought I was crazy for trying. My question is, would 2 people be enough to do this job. I am thinking my son and I can knock it off (normal strong teenager). He made it sound like I would likely bend something.

Thoughts? I am thinking maybe he is overselling so I have them do.

Not a chance!

Paul 05-09-2018 02:15 PM

The rollbar can be removed with the top/frame still installed, I picked up a used top that was still attached to the rollbar.

I've removed the top/frame in less than 20 minutes. Two people can easily lift it in and out. Be very careful not to damage the foam trays.

DWBOX2000 05-09-2018 02:55 PM

So you can get to the four bolts in the back with the roof on? I took the rug out of the back and was unable to see the bolts towards the back. Seemed like too much stuff in the way.

The Radium King 05-09-2018 03:29 PM

if you are swapping roll bars then the roof is going to have to come off the roll bar at some point.

DWBOX2000 05-09-2018 04:03 PM

So the three bolts on each side of the roof go through the roll bar? I think that is what I am seeing. Remove those 6 and off it will come after releasing those plastic ball things.
Next question, how do I disconnect the speaker wire connector on the right side that is connected to the roll cage. There is a little tab that might lock it in place. I tried pulling towards side of car (doesn't seem to go any other direction) and tried sliding towards the back of the car. Can't go the other direction.

DWBOX2000 05-09-2018 04:12 PM

Sorry, Do I need to take the roof cover off too?

mikefocke 05-09-2018 04:44 PM

Se if Maurice's instructions help. He used to be the go to guy in the NE.

DWBOX2000 05-09-2018 05:41 PM

Perfect. Thanks Mike. If nothing breaks, it seems pretty easy.

Any ideas for the plastic electric connector that is mounted through a hole on the right side of the roll bar. It is the wire connection for the speaker box behind the roll bar.

DWBOX2000 05-11-2018 02:39 AM

Got it off and got new roll bar in. Thanks everyone for your help. I think I over thought it. Other than having to chisel off the electrical connector, it went pretty smooth.
You guys rule. Thanks again.!

DWBOX2000 05-11-2018 02:40 AM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1526035200.jpg