Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

Need to double pull door handle after unlocking it

On my 2004 Boxster 986 I have to double pull the driver's side door handle after I unlock it. Normally from the inside if I press the unlock button on the dash near the AC vents I only need a single pull on the door handle to open the door. Now I need to do a double pull to open the door. I have the same problem from the outside as well. After unlocking the car using the remote key fob I have to double pull to open the door to get inside the car. Anyone experience this before? What parts do I need to order to fix this problem?

dchutinaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchutinaton View Post
On my 2004 Boxster 986 I have to double pull the driver's side door handle after I unlock it. Normally from the inside if I press the unlock button on the dash near the AC vents I only need a single pull on the door handle to open the door. Now I need to do a double pull to open the door. I have the same problem from the outside as well. After unlocking the car using the remote key fob I have to double pull to open the door to get inside the car. Anyone experience this before? What parts do I need to order to fix this problem?
my 986 has always done that.

Let me know if you find some parts to order.......

I think this is normal operation.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Definitely not normal...
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:16 AM   #4

Can you hear the door unlock when you hit the button on the dash? My wife's 2003 boxster has auto-lock and I hate it. I want to turn it off but I haven't found where you can do that using a PST2
Old 05-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Definitely not normal...
+1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Snoopy
Foghorn Leghorn
Mickey Mouse
Gavin Newsom
Road Runner
Homer Simpson
Clifford
Might Mouse
Eddie
Goofy
Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
+1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Snoopy
Foghorn Leghorn
Mickey Mouse
Gavin Newsom
Road Runner
Homer Simpson
Clifford
Might Mouse
Eddie
Goofy
You made me spit up my morning coffee!!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #7

Yes, I can hear the door unlock when I push the button on the dash. On the passenger side it doesn't do that. Passenger door can be opened with single pull once the door unlock button is pushed from the inside. Passenger door can be opened with single pull when entering car after unlocking using remote key fob. Driver's side door used to be like this. This is a new problem that has recently started to happen.
dchutinaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
1999 base

Garage
i hate to be the one breaking the news, but it will only get worse, up to the point you will not be able to open the door.
the only solution is to replace the locking mechanism.
i had the issue on my boxster passenger side, two months later the driver side started acting up, and at about the same time (how convenient) my 996 driver side got stuck to the point it will not open at all.
notice that if you push the door in words, it will open with no issue.
the problem lies in the electric motor that gets wick over the years, and cannot overcome the tension of the mechanism.
i spent many hours taking it apart cleaning and adjusting with no success.
lucky for me, on the 996 the door got stuck with the door cover off, so i managed to open it from the inside.
the frustrating part for me was that after reassembly, it seem to work fine.
with the door open i locked the striker with a screwdriver, and it worked flawlessly numeros times. did not work as soon as i shut the door.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Can you hear the door unlock when you hit the button on the dash? My wife's 2003 boxster has auto-lock and I hate it. I want to turn it off but I haven't found where you can do that using a PST2
Woody you have to have the IPAS code for the module under the seat to go and change all the wonderful things that the immobilizer does. I tried to access mine this weekend and I phoned Porsche to get the codes for mine and the service manager told me to go and see him when I go for my service this month.