Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Zombie

What would break the steering anti-theft mechanism?

On an '01 S standard shift.

Worked fine when loaded onto transport truck in CO for 1925 mile trip to SW FL. The trucker must have started and restarted it to shuffle cars as he made his way here. I cannot attest to its condition as I had a friend receive it here. He let some guy drive it a few miles. So three people operated it: trucker, guy who received it, and the old neighbor.

When I got to it the battery was dead and my guy was clueless as to why. A new battery from AAA, and it starts, but antitheft steering lock is disfunctional, and remotes (keys) won't lock and unlock. When inserting the ley into ignition, an unfamiliar spring-feel is felt when rotating to ON. And of course, no steering lock release. The warning gong alarm goes on upon opening door, and goes off when the enging is started.

It is at dealer who says two new keys plus new anti-theft mechanism will do it. $3,000.

JamesDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I'd try replacing the ignition switch first. https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=Ignition+Cassette+ Maybe that will fix it.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDean View Post
On an '01 S standard shift.

Worked fine when loaded onto transport truck in CO for 1925 mile trip to SW FL. The trucker must have started and restarted it to shuffle cars as he made his way here. I cannot attest to its condition as I had a friend receive it here. He let some guy drive it a few miles. So three people operated it: trucker, guy who received it, and the old neighbor.

When I got to it the battery was dead and my guy was clueless as to why. A new battery from AAA, and it starts, but antitheft steering lock is disfunctional, and remotes (keys) won't lock and unlock. When inserting the ley into ignition, an unfamiliar spring-feel is felt when rotating to ON. And of course, no steering lock release. The warning gong alarm goes on upon opening door, and goes off when the enging is started.

It is at dealer who says two new keys plus new anti-theft mechanism will do it. $3,000.
Gotta love dealers....... Yeah $3k sounds about right, of course an hour and a new $30.00 ignition switch probably will also.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #4

Ok, running the battery down shouldn't kill anything but the battery. $3,000 sounds a bit high for the cost of a battery.

Leaving the key in the ignition (even turned off) will run down the battery. Perhaps that's what happened...

If the top was left down and it was left in the rain, the immobilizer (aka anti-theft system) under the drivers seat could be damaged. You can have that fixed (and still use your original keys) for a LOT less than $3,000. ECU Doctors down in Florida will fix it for a flat fee (I think it's something like $875) and forum member Qmulus can do it for even less. Again, that's if your immobilizer was actually damaged.

But I would definitely start with replacing the ignition switch (plastic part behind where you insert the key). It's a cheap part and a DIY kind of thing, search the forum for info on the best/easiest way to do it and tool required...

If it's still not working right after you install a new ignition switch, then I'd bet that your immobilizer saw water.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

It would seem that the car saw a lot of force on the front wheels in shipment which caused the mechanical portion of the steering lock to be damaged.

Thus, the dealer is likely proposing to replace the electrical and the mechanical potions of the steering lock and provide two new keys. They keys need to be programmed along with the ECU and immobilizer. Plus installation of the mechanical portion of the steering lock with a new key tumbler. This could all easily add up to close to $3K at dealer pricing.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-03-2018 at 08:48 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
If it's the lock housing/mechanism, that would be 996-347-017-07 (about $238 from Sunset, includes ignition switch).

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote