View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
BirdDog

Ok, running the battery down shouldn't kill anything but the battery. $3,000 sounds a bit high for the cost of a battery.

Leaving the key in the ignition (even turned off) will run down the battery. Perhaps that's what happened...

If the top was left down and it was left in the rain, the immobilizer (aka anti-theft system) under the drivers seat could be damaged. You can have that fixed (and still use your original keys) for a LOT less than $3,000. ECU Doctors down in Florida will fix it for a flat fee (I think it's something like $875) and forum member Qmulus can do it for even less. Again, that's if your immobilizer was actually damaged.

But I would definitely start with replacing the ignition switch (plastic part behind where you insert the key). It's a cheap part and a DIY kind of thing, search the forum for info on the best/easiest way to do it and tool required...

If it's still not working right after you install a new ignition switch, then I'd bet that your immobilizer saw water.