Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #1

First trip to a porsche dealer in years

Yesterday I went to AUTO GALLERY to have a key programmed for my 986. This is a big fancy dealer in Woodland Hills near Malibu, Calabasas, Hidden Hills etc......brand new facility....

I try to avoid dealers......but you know I was treated really well and they solved my problem for $100 and did it right way.

I waited over in the lounge where a very attractive hostess got me cappuccino and cookies and nuts and water while I waited.

Large screen TV, workstations, expensive watches and sunglasses and books on display.....I was treated how I think I deserve to be!!!

I wandered over to the showroom and checked out a Panamera turbo hatchback for my wife.....Gee only $189,000 USD!!!

The Caymans were nice, but all in the $80K+ range.

When I told the sales person that I had 2 P cars and they were a 2003 Boxster and a 1973 911.......he knew I was a tire kicker and left fast.

The way I look at it I got my key programmed and had a lot of fun for my $100.

The mechanic liked my 986 and said it was in great shape and he gave me the sheet of security code settings and he reprogrammed my Tiptronic while he was doing the keys!!!!

GOOD DEAL!!!! VISIT YOUR LOCAL DEALER.....YOU MAY GET LUCKY TOO!!

MAYBE.....I don't get out enough!

1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner

Last edited by boxfix; 04-20-2018 at 02:17 PM.
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

Garage
At my local dealer today $79 for a track inspection.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

I hope my local dealer is decent.... but I'm wary, because they're part of a large group of dealerships who, single handedly, have managed to screw up basic service (let alone repairs) on my JEEPs, jaguars, Mercedes, and Audis.

Yeah.... I'm not holding my breath.

Stupid, basic stuff.... like lieing to me about services done. Lug nuts missing. Drain plugs stripped. Grease on my headliner. Last time they tried to sell me a reflash, but the tech didn't know what it was, or what it did, only that my vin required it... at a cost of $129.95

Yeah......

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

My local dealer is awesome. Was there yesterday. The sale guys and gals know not everyone is walking in and buying 100k cars. For the most part, the Porsche thing is a family. It's more owners that can be a bit snooty.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #5

Why does your tiptronic need reprogramming?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Why does your tiptronic need reprogramming?
I have no idea what he did, but it actually starts in 1st when you start from neutral and move to D. stays in gears longer and down shifts faster. The trans was new 10K miles before I bought it.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 AM   #7

Garage
Porsche of north Houston wanted 600 dollars to program a key refused to do it unless I buy key threw them 220 for the key head and 125 for a blade.No key cutting there.
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I hope my local dealer is decent.... but I'm wary, because they're part of a large group of dealerships who, single handedly, have managed to screw up basic service (let alone repairs) on my JEEPs, jaguars, Mercedes, and Audis.

Yeah.... I'm not holding my breath.

Stupid, basic stuff.... like lieing to me about services done. Lug nuts missing. Drain plugs stripped. Grease on my headliner. Last time they tried to sell me a reflash, but the tech didn't know what it was, or what it did, only that my vin required it... at a cost of $129.95

Yeah......

There's some great dealers and then there's crappy dealers. Salt Lake might have the worst dealer in the country. I rarely deal with people in Utah, but I've had two customers tell me stories about that dealer.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
Porsche of north Houston wanted 600 dollars to program a key refused to do it unless I buy key threw them 220 for the key head and 125 for a blade.No key cutting there.
WOW!! I bought the blade on eBay and the key head from our host Pelican. With cutting I had $200 in it plus the programming. So $300.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #10

I figure they are a business and I need to have realistic expectations. When I need parts, I start with Woody (when an a used part will work), then an on-line seller and then the local dealer. As a result, I tend to visit a dealer to buy inexpensive parts where the shipping cost would negate any savings from an on-line seller. I'm sure that the dealer can spot a price conscious person like me a mile a way and I don't expect them to offer to allow me to test-drive a $100,000 car.

I did have the car inspected at the dealer for a track day they sponsored and I found the service people to be very polite and helpful.

For you who are lucky enough to buy a new or used car from a dealership you should expect a top-notch experience since you are indirectly paying for the cappuccino and cookies.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
There's some great dealers and then there's crappy dealers. Salt Lake might have the worst dealer in the country. I rarely deal with people in Utah, but I've had two customers tell me stories about that dealer.
Honestly, most people in Utah, like other places I've done business, are GREAT people. But there is a culture at this particular group of dealerships that discourages customer service.

And now they've bought the local ferrari / Maserati dealership as well... they're literally killing my euro-car dealings.
Thank heavens for the internet.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
The dealer up here in Winnipeg has been great. Although I have not serviced my vehicle there, parts department is always helpful and prices are competitive with on line sellers after you build in shipping etc. They also work with the local PCA and host a variety of events. The first time I visited they took me on a tour of the service area. It was cleaner than a hospital operating room.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
Racer Boy

My one experience with a Porsche dealer was very good (Larson Porsche in Tacoma, WA). They programmed a key for my Boxster, and like others have said, the service department was spotless. The service advisor gave me a tour, which isn't the typical dealership experience. The facility was very nice, and the receptionist was a total knockout. Every car on the showroom floor was over $100K, so for those prices, they are going to give you a very positive experience.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #14

It’s a roll of the dice. The dealer in Melbourne tries hard but I wouldn’t trust them again with an older Porsche. Took the IMS bearing out of my 996 with a slide hammer and didn’t lock the cams. The good news is I called Porsche NA and they refunded the labor hours through gift cards. Find an Indy that will do that.

The dealer in Rochester NY is outstanding. I was getting error code SAI. Two indies quoted me a ton of money to fix. Went to the dealer and he told me that SAI rarely ever go bad. He told me to go home and check my vacuum lines. Sure enough it was fixed.

Last edited by Clueless; 04-21-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Misspelling.
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
It’s a roll of the dice. The dealer in Melbourne tries hard but I wouldn’t trust them again with an older Porsche. Took the IMS bearing out of my 996 with a slide hammer and didn’t lock the cams. The good news is I called Porsche NA and they refunded the labor hours through gift cards. Find an Indy that will do that.

The dealer in Rochester NY is outstanding. I was getting error code SAI. Two indies quoted me a ton of money to fix. Went to the dealer and he told me that SAI rarely ever go bad. He told me to go home and check my vacuum lines. Sure enough it was fixed.
YUP.....I have become a vacuum line expert. Had a bad vacuum canister and a main fitting that fell out of the manifold and a few rotted pieces of rubber. High temp silicon lines and brass barbed fittings cured my problems.