Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

H&R Street Sport Coil Over Ride Height LOW

So I bought a set of these used from a forum member last year. I installed them over the winter and just gave the vehicle a test drive. During the install I was concerned about the right height in the front being too low and it definitely is. I’ve got it cranked all the way up to the maximum height and I even put an extra thick rubber shim/compensator on the top between the strut mount and the spring. Other than changing the springs any suggestions on increasing the ride height 1/2 to 1 inch? And if changing the springs is the only option anyone familiar with the correct spring to use?

‘11 958 S
https://dergarage.com
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #2

Are your front brake rotors backwards? That's the 2nd one I've seen like that and now it's got me wondering if mine are the ones that are backwards
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Are your front brake rotors backwards? That's the 2nd one I've seen like that and now it's got me wondering if mine are the ones that are backwards
The disk doesn't really care which direction it rotates, but it does look a little odd. Is this a right caliper mounted on a left wheel? I don't have my Boxster right here, but it looks like a bleed nipple at the bottom.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe

Last edited by Anker; 03-31-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
The disk doesn't really care which direction it rotates, but it does look a little odd. Is this a right caliper mounted on a left wheel? I don't have my Boxster right here, but it looks like a bleed nipple at the bottom.
I think I see the bleed nipple on top, I always thought the front rotors had directional vanes and the backs didn't.

With regard to the car, it does look really good lowered like that though
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:55 PM   #5

I’m pretty sure those vanes in the front rotors are direction specific. Every single brake rotor (maybe the solid discs are an exception) I have ever seen listed are L R with different part numbers. The holes should sweep in the direction of rotation. And as mentioned, the stance does look cool, which is a bummer because driving over any bump would be challenging! I’m thinking springs are the only way to fix that correctly. As you purchased them used, the springs just might be dead. Or the compression dampening is shot.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 AM   #6

Shocks were “lightly used” but my testing before mounting showed the damping in compression and rebound is good. Springs rarely go off, despite the Internet lore suggesting so. I do think spring replacement is the only fix since adjustment isn’t getting the job done. If there is no prior knowledge on this i’ll have to contact H&R - I was hoping someone else had done a spring swap.
‘11 958 S
https://dergarage.com
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRacerX View Post
Shocks were “lightly used” but my testing before mounting showed the damping in compression and rebound is good. Springs rarely go off, despite the Internet lore suggesting so. I do think spring replacement is the only fix since adjustment isn’t getting the job done. If there is no prior knowledge on this i’ll have to contact H&R - I was hoping someone else had done a spring swap.
Depends on the springs. Springs will sag over time, probably not as much of an issue for the reletively light front end of the Box, but the stock springs on my Jeep had sagged almost 2” from stock. So it can happen... or, whomever had them just wanted their car dumped and the springs are unusually short?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:36 AM   #8

Garage
I bought a set of Yellow speed racing coil overs .When I went to install them thought I had the same problem .So I made a drawing of the lower bracket that has 1.0 inch of additional thread they agreed to make them for 50 bucks a piece . They were for 52 mm shock body with a 1.5mm pitch what are yours?

gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote