Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
Years ago I worked in a GM service lane and saw quite a few vehicles come in where the Dex-Cool gelled up and created all kind of cooling system issues. Simply anecdotal evidence but unless they've re-formulated the product that would be the last coolant I would consider.
Maybe customers were topping off with the green stuff (silicates precipitating.) Plus, I suggest that no formulations are static, things do change. Dexx is a standard (I believe by GM) and different brands may be and probably are slightly different formulations.:dance:

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
rggav

Pentofrost SE O'Reilly sells it

I bought pentofrost SF 1.5L at O'Reillys. Auto-Haus said OK for Boxster.
RG2000S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #23
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Here is a topic I have never seen discussed. Has anybody used a 'flush chemical' prior to refilling? I am going to guess the OEM fluid group hasn't. What about the Prestone faithful? Prestone makes a 'flush and cleaner.' Back in the day when the earth was flat, I always used a flush on my cast iron blocks before replacing the anti-freeze.

Most threads/videos speak to flushing once or twice with distilled only.

Last edited by rexcramer; 03-21-2018 at 07:49 PM.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #24
On the slippery slope

Garage
Yes Porsche coolant is expensive, but really do you want to risk problems for maybe less than $100 difference????
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:27 AM   #25
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Here is a topic I have never seen discussed. Has anybody used a 'flush chemical' prior to refilling? I am going to guess the OEM fluid group hasn't. What about the Prestone faithful? Prestone makes a 'flush and cleaner.' Back in the day when the earth was flat, I always used a flush on my cast iron blocks before replacing the anti-freeze.

I know that Mercedes has a citric acid flush. If the directions are followed exactly, it works well for breaking down gunk. Some forum posters claim it's not as strong as the Prestone flush, for what it's worth.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post

Unless you want to replace your water pump, I would suggest against it. We only use flush chemicals in the case of an intermix, other wise just flush it with clear water.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #27

The previous owner of my 01 had an ongoing relationship with a garden hose. When I pulled the engine, I noticed a lot of scale in the water pump housing and other coolant connections to the engine. I'm not going to use a flush chemical, but will (as finances permit) either buy new radiators or have them boiled out at a radiator shop. The replacement engine and new water pump have no scale--the previous owner of my engine did his/her due diligence in that regard.

You have to pull coolant hoses off the front of the engine anyway, it's a good time to evaluate the hard water deposits.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I know that Mercedes has a citric acid flush. If the directions are followed exactly, it works well for breaking down gunk. Some forum posters claim it's not as strong as the Prestone flush, for what it's worth.
For that matter, one could use white vinegar & distilled water as a flush. Probably a 50/50 mix and drive it for a day would do. The stuff in a coolant system is water & acid soluble, shouldn't be any oily or greasy residue.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #29
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Thanks for all of the input. Should've thought of vinegar myself. I use vinegar, once a year, on my tank-less water heater. Works great. I am over-due for a coolant flush and fill. I am going to drain the system and see how crusty it is inside and then decide.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #30
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Coolant is cheap. Engines are expensive.

You bought a Porsche. Pony up.

There are plenty of Miatas out there.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #31

Garage
I replaced several years ago when I replaced my water pump, engine mount, and thermostate. Used the stuff at Walmart for Porsches/German cars. When I added a center S radiator the coolant was fine.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Have any of you used a non Porsche antifreeze/coolant? If going non Porsche, what is commonly used? I can get Zerex and Prestone products around here. Not sure which type of each brand is used in a Porsche. Thanks.
Pretty easy. Porsche uses Glysantin G30 (OAT) for the M96 engines Glysantin / BASF is the OEM supplier for Porsche coolant. So search for an OAT coolant that fits the ingredients of / compatility with Pentosin G30.

G30® | Glysantin®

Glysantin G40 (SiOAT) is not compatible with the engines and definetely not recommended.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Have any of you used a non Porsche antifreeze/coolant? If going non Porsche, what is commonly used? I can get Zerex and Prestone products around here. Not sure which type of each brand is used in a Porsche. Thanks.
If you haven't yet, then visit Pedro's site. Lot's of good info. The attached is specific to your question.

Coolant/Antifreeze
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG2000S View Post
I bought pentofrost SF 1.5L at O'Reillys. Auto-Haus said OK for Boxster.
Some people on the other forums say this is the same as the Porsche Bottled product. I been using it for 5 years not issues. Also sold at Advanced Auto.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #35

I've got the 100% certified P-car stuff in mine. Replaced at 95k miles and now have 134K. I'm pretty sure its kept my IMS from failing...it should at $30/gallon.

I used the P-car stuff and figured I'd never have to replace it again. I've kept my car way longer (10 years) than I thought I would as it has been bullet proof and a blast. I've got about 50k miles more to go before I have to address again. No idea what I'll do next time but I'll lean toward the P-car stuff as worring about the IMS is enough for me!

PS. I don't worry about the IMS...my car owes me nothing.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote