Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

Garage
Fit issues with Topspeed test pipes?

Hi there,

I bought the Topspeed test pipes and am in the middle of installing them and have a question. The passenger side is installed and went in with no problems, but I’m having trouble with the driver’s side. The headers and muffler are stock, but for some reason I’m having trouble getting the test pipe to connect to the U pipe that leads to the muffler.

I haven’t tightened the bolts on the flange that connects to the header yet, but I’m not sure where there’s any play in the system to help align this. The shorter extension piece is clamped down, but I believe it’s pushed all the way in so I’m not sure that that can help with this. Any idea about my next steps? If there is an installation page for these, I couldn’t find it.

I reached out to the seller on eBay this morning, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Last edited by Pepik; 02-28-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: My wording was not the best...
Pepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

I had to cut about an inch off of the smaller connecting pipe that came with the test pipes to get it to install. I took it to tire kingdom and they cut it for me and I tipped the guy $5, it only took about a minute...
It didn't look quite the same as in your picture though, it was too long where yours looks like it doesn't reach, but that may just be the picture.

If you were to loosen the muffler or the manifold you could probably fit it, but cutting the piece is much easier, at least for me.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #3

If your pic is accurate then it looks like you have two issues: pipes not in alignment and being too short . Is that correct ? Or is the concern just alignment ? If I remember correctly from doing mine this is a two piece test pipe and one of those pieces is " adjustable " for the length . For the alignment it's not unusual to have to use a ratchet strap to persuade exhaust pipes to line up . Leave everything a little loose and get everything lined up and start tightening . I start at the headers and move back to the muffler . Good luck .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:21 AM   #4

I had to chop one side of mine, bend it then reweld it as it touch the ARB.
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

You may have seen my video on this in the DIY section of this forum. I found that connecting the U section first then, as rfuerst mentioned, I coaxed the triangular connector into place with a strap or a “big stick”. If necessary, the muffler can adjust a bit as well.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?

Last edited by NewArt; 03-01-2018 at 04:18 AM.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks everyone -- I loosened one nut on the muffler (I'm not sure that did much), and then just muscled it into alignment. I was a little nervous about putting that much stress on it, but it sounds like it's not that uncommon.

Tonight I can button everything back up and take her out tomorrow, so excited!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepik View Post
Thanks everyone -- I loosened one nut on the muffler (I'm not sure that did much), and then just muscled it into alignment. I was a little nervous about putting that much stress on it, but it sounds like it's not that uncommon.

Tonight I can button everything back up and take her out tomorrow, so excited!
It took a lot of fiddling to get mine into place. Sounds like you got it

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote