Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
KronixSpeed

2006 BoxsterS, Z4, Viper, Corvette, Elise, SLK, 350Z, CarreraS

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=1949&page_number=1

Hey, Road&Track has a really good article about the best all-around sports car for 2006. The 2006 boxster came in second place to the corvette. really good article, i liked the magazine version better, it shows the track page in full detail. meaning that it shows which cars were best in each part of the track....really cool.

i thinkkkkk i'll take the boxster.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 AM   #2

Looks like an old test. All cars are 2005 (the Z4 is 2004). But interesting and good read, nevertheless. 5 out of 8 editors picked the Boxster S as their favorite and it all but spilt the first place with the Corvette (only because of price). Best slalom speed and shortest breaking distance for the Boxster S, too. Nice to get yet another confirmation of how I feel about the car.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #3

i'd take the ELISE!!!
E36/7 BMW Z3 2.8L Roadster
1999 Porsche Boxster
krn986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #4

The Elise is the better track car, but you couldn't drive it more than 50 miles without feeling like you went 12 rounds. That car will punish you on normal roads.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
KronixSpeed

you know thats one car i'm dying to drive.....elise. i've driven all of the following cars, but not the elise. i've only seen 2 in toronto driving. still havent seen one parked. very cool looking.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #6

This looks like an old article. Also, the results are suspect since the 987S lost on price alone and it was up against a Corvette coupe, not the convertible. (Interesting, too, that the 987S beat out the C6 on handling, while, today, there's a lot of talk about the Cayman beating the 987S because it's a coupe and, thus, more rigid.)

About the time this story appeared, I was comparing the 987S to the C6. The C6 convertible was coming in at around $64K -- no bargain -- and dealers were not willing to budge on price. I was able to get a well-optioned, custom-ordered 987S, including nav, for a discounted price of $57,290. I know others who have done better. A comparable C6 convertible at this price wouldn't have included nav and I'm not sure you could even get the power top ($1995!). So, apples-to-apples, the Porsche wins on price and, thus, the contest.

Don't even let me get started on the build-quality comparisons. Go over to the Corvette forums and read about the squeaks and rattles, the tops that fly off and are being recalled, etc., etc. Except for pure horsepower, there is no contest.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
boggtown

Just imagine if they had used the new m roadster and the new zo6, or even the amg mercedes. I would like to see those results.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #8

Good point. My guess is that the Boxster comes in third on that one, behind the Z06 and the M. The M moves ahead based on price.

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote