Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
Porscheectomy

For the folks who've driven both the 986 and 987

I've read that the difference between the 986 and 987 is everything from a huge improvement to not very noticeable. I'd like to get the impression of some of you who've driven both. Is there a big difference in the feedback, handling, overall quality? Is there more of a difference between the non-S versions because of some suspension changes than between the S versions? What have you experienced?

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #2

The suspension (PASM in particular) is the most significant improvement, in my mind. The overall ride quality is more refined as well, but then again some would prefer the more raw feel of the 986. It's slight, but noticeable.

They do both feel like Boxsters - you aren't getting out of one and into another and feeling like they are totally different cars - both have the same 'on rails' feeling, both have tremendous handling because of the mid-engine layout, and the steering is what always sets Porsche apart, and both have the same great steering feel.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
bmussatti

More leg room, for taller drivers, in the 987 for sure!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #4

Reading about the differences is good, but once you do some research you really need to go down to a dealership and drive them...base and S, 986 and 987. One drive is worth a thousand words.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #5

Garage
Differences between our old 99 and the 06 base..

Styling:
Didn't think I 'd like the 987 when it first came out but now that we'v had it a while I prefer the 987 styling a a bit more aggressive; I really like the glass window even if it is a bit smaller.

Interior:
More leg room, head room, more comfortable seats. Both radios seem equally bogus.
987 materials seem more expensive. Interior style seems more japanese than traditional Porsche--not necessarily bad. Functional if a bit bland.

Performance:
Gee, where do you start--better steering feel, brakes, defiantely more HP, better shift linkage, sweet exhaust sound, better ride quality, less road noise, stiffer chassis. The PS2's have softer sidewalls which I think slows the steering response a bit but provide a more comfy ride. A tire with a stiffer sidewall--Yoko Advan Neova, Kumho Victoracer --should cure that.

In a phrase: More refined and powerful (as you'de expect)
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #6

I have not driven a 987 but if someone would be willing to loan me theirs for the weekend I would be more than happy to give my comparison.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #7

I agree with just about everything that MikenOH has to say.. The 987 is a dramatic improvement over the 986 in just about every way to me..

Overall 'feel' of the car is much nicer.. smoother all the way. The interior finally matches the price tag.. most of the plastic parts are gone and it looks much more refined. The body style changes are subtle, but once you get used to the more aggressive stance it's awesome.

I traded my 2003 986 on a 2005 987 and don't regret it for a split second.

/b

prOk is offline   Reply With Quote