Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Convertible top converted to manual but light won't go off

Hello all,

I have a 2001 986 that I converted the top to a manual operation. It works great and I can have it opened/closed faster than the auto operation. However, the top light is on and it won't go off. I tried holding the closed button for a few minutes but that didn't do anything. Any thoughts on how I can get the light to go off?

Thanks,
Bryan

BryPorscheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryPorscheGuy View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2001 986 ... Any thoughts on how I can get the light to go off?

Thanks,
Bryan
The switch that activates the warning light is in the left side roof transmission. Just jump or short the wires in the connector. Brown-Black to Brown:

Here's my old post:
Stuck Convertible Top - Manual operation...
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 AM   #3

Great! Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

When you say the "switch is in the left side transmission", do you mean behind the transmission? I pulled the transmission off the drivers side but I do not see the switch anywhere around or behind it. I don't think it's actually inside the gearbox since there are only a few 22awg wires going to it. Where exactly is this switch located?
Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

I got it. I didn't realize it was actually the 22awg wires going to the transmission that was in your photo. I jumped the brown and brown/black wires and the light went out. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by BryPorscheGuy; 01-20-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

The wires connect to a micro switch which is a top position sensor. In the movement position, it's open--so that the motor runs and the dash lite is lit. At either end of the tranmissions travel, it closes. You want to fool the system into thinking that the top is either open or closed all the way. So you jump the connector as shown below.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #7

Hey guys,

I'm having any issue here and I'm a little confused. My top dash light won't go out when I put the top up and clamp down the shell but it turns off when the top is totally down. What is the issue? I can't find any transmission sensor and I'm a little confused by "jumping or shorting it". How do you do it? This light is driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated!
djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:31 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw8282 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm having any issue here and I'm a little confused. My top dash light won't go out when I put the top up and clamp down the shell but it turns off when the top is totally down. What is the issue? I can't find any transmission sensor and I'm a little confused by "jumping or shorting it". How do you do it? This light is driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated!
Jumping the pins only applies to manual tops. Probably a bad idea if your top is still powered. You either have a bad transmission micro switch, or one of the top latch switches.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw8282 View Post
Hey guys,

There are microswitches in the latch. Seems like one of those switches is your problem, or a couple solder joints within that latch.

A forum member posted this great video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xntJKWZpFac

I wish I could remember his username. Someone please remind me so I can give him proper credit.

EDIT: The forum member who posted the video is TTGator.

Last edited by piper6909; 12-07-2020 at 10:08 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #10

Dj could also have a transmission starting to go out. Mine did that for a while before it finally failed. The left side where the switch is located could have a gear problem while the right has enough push to get the top to the point where you can close it. At least with mine it started working erratic jerking and such. It took mine about a year to finally go once the light quit working as it should
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Jumping the pins only applies to manual tops. Probably a bad idea if your top is still powered. You either have a bad transmission micro switch or one of the top latch switches.

Hey Particle,

Checking things out. Went over the latch switch and it looks ok. I check for a B-pillar switch which my model (2002 Boxster S) doesn't have. Can anyone confirm this? From what I read, this switch sends a signal to the relay that the top is closed. I'm still not sure what the top transmission switch looks like. I did a search and haven't come up with a photo...
Old 12-05-2020, 04:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
There are microswitches in the latch. Seems like one of those switches is your problem, or a couple solder joints within that latch.

A forum member posted this great video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xntJKWZpFac

I wish I could remember his username. Someone please remind me so I can give him proper credit.
Hey Piper,

Thanks for the Vid! It's ironic, I discovered this guy this week. He has a lot of good stuff on his channel. I check the latch and there was a little corrosion but working. Funny, it only had one switch, the one that drops the windows. Again, mine is a 2002 Boxster S.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Dj could also have a transmission starting to go out. Mine did that for a while before it finally failed. The left side where the switch is located could have a gear problem while the right has enough push to get the top to the point where you can close it. At least with mine it started working erratic jerking and such. It took mine about a year to finally go once the light quit working as it should
Hey Ben,

Interesting stuff. This sounds like my issue because it makes a different noise than what I'm used to on the side of the transmission. It's kind of stuttering slightly to close. Thanks! Is the transmission switch located on or close by?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #14
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I think that the change in the design was in the 2000 model and later.
The 2000 and later models have one switch in the latch, a different relay module, and the transmissions are different with the 'B-pillar' microswitch internally rather than on the B-pillar.

Here's a copy from an old post that shows the transmission and microswitch location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post

Last edited by 78F350; 12-05-2020 at 07:13 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I think that the change in the design was in the 2000 model and later.
The 2000 and later models have one switch in the latch, a different relay module, and the transmissions are different with the 'B-pillar' microswitch internally rather than on the B-pillar.

Here's a copy from an old post that shows the transmission and microswitch location.
Awesome..I'm going to look into this later. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #16

That second picture shows the internal switch. The white plastic gear is the one that fails. Mine was literally cracked in half it will still work because it’s packed in there so tight. On mine like I say it was a gradual failure. First the light would not go out. Then it started making noise and jerking a little. Eventually I quit using it for fear of the top getting stuck halfway when I was not home. I took it apart last winter and fixed it. It has worked better than ever since. The write up in the 101 project book has some good photos. I also found a video online. If do decide to take it apart be sure and mark everything with a felt pen so you can get it all back together the same way.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #17

My car is a 2002 s
Old 12-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #18

Quote:
That second picture shows the internal switch. The white plastic gear is the one that fails. Mine was literally cracked in half it will still work because it’s packed in there so tight. On mine like I say it was a gradual failure. First the light would not go out. Then it started making noise and jerking a little. Eventually I quit using it for fear of the top getting stuck halfway when I was not home. I took it apart last winter and fixed it. It has worked better than ever since. The write up in the 101 project book has some good photos. I also found a video online. If do decide to take it apart be sure and mark everything with a felt pen so you can get it all back together the same way.

Well, I have all the symptoms of what you're stating. How did you manage to fix the cracked gear? I'm not sure if I would do a rebuild but I am curious to see the video if you don't mind posting it...I appreciate the help!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #19

I bought 2 new gears on eBay and replaced both sides. They came in a set. I think you can buy metal gears but I figured Porsche made them plastic as sort of a weak link to start with the videos I found just by googling replacing boxster top transmission or something like that. It’s been a while and I turn 63 tomorrow so I don’t recall details like I once did . It’s not that bad of a job. The 101 project book does a pretty good job of describing how to remove replace and time the transmissions. The video I found was about taking them apart and putting them back together.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:12 AM   #20
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
I bought 2 new gears on eBay and replaced both sides. They came in a set. I think you can buy metal gears but I figured Porsche made them plastic as sort of a weak link to start with the videos I found just by googling replacing boxster top transmission or something like that. It’s been a while and I turn 63 tomorrow so I don’t recall details like I once did . It’s not that bad of a job. The 101 project book does a pretty good job of describing how to remove replace and time the transmissions. The video I found was about taking them apart and putting them back together.
Happy Birthday!