Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #41
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Well I guess we successfully high jacked this thread with LED flasher talk.
Sorry..
My further researched turned up some interesting facts about 12V LED flasher relays..
Some interesting items I discovered: (What happened to the good ol days..)
Traditional flashers for filament bulbs can not work in LED circuits, therefore they have introduced a LED flasher units with Failure Detection (load sensitive) and without Failure Detection (non-load sensitive). International regulations requires the Failure Detection of a lamp for vehicles driven on public roads.

The flasher warn the driver by increasing the flash rate of the direction indicators lights or by switching off an indicator light on the dashboard (trailers).
They have developed custom LED Flasher units for small OE manufacturers of Hybrid/Electric cars.

The failure detection is available also on hybrid indicator circuits fitted with LED and traditional filament bulbs.

You have two options:
Option 1.

Since it appears your purchased a (load sensitive) 12V LED flasher relay, it will require a load resistor across the LED bulb on each side. (Left & Right) The load resistor will simulate a 21 watts bulb and the LED flasher relay will work just fine.

The inherent problem with load resistors - They get hot, hence the heat sink enclosing the resistor is in. They should not be placed close to plastic or carpet. Now it may not present too much of a heat issue when installed as turn signals, given the turn signals duration. Emergency flasher is another concern..

Option 2.
Purchase a (non-load sensitive) 12V LED flasher.
So far every non-load sensitive LED flasher relay has a 4th wire coming out of the top of the relay to be terminated to ground, This negates the simple plug & play of the 3 pin relay into the car fuse box.

It appears the Aussie's have addressed these issues since they have strict flash rate requirements. ADR13
When searching for non-load sensitive 12V flasher relays I found the majority of suppliers are in Australia.

Disclaimer:
I cannot validate that the (non-load sensitive) 12V LED flasher relay will work or not in the P-car.
In theory, it should..

T

EFL-3 12V LED flasher test with a 12V LED with a integrated resistor. (load-sensitive)

FYI:
I was able to test this relay on a non-integrated resistor LED but didn't capture it on video.
The effect was a real dim LED, with a extremely dim flash. Not bright enough to function.

Last edited by tony_fury; 10-27-2012 at 06:54 AM.
tony_fury is offline   Reply With Quote