Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #1

Help, Deamber side markers

Okay, so I changed the marker over to clear from amber and I hit the turn signal and the light doesn't blink.....should it? If I turn on the lights the yellow light comes on but it doesn't blink if I hit the turn signal. I checked the other side and it doesn't blink either but the light works. I turned on the old vette and the side markers blink with the turn signal.....hmmmm.....anyone, thoughts?! Did I miss a connection?

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #2

Sounds like normal operation. On MY99 anyway, sidemarkers don't blink, they just light with the parking or headlights. The 'Vette blinks to make it easier to target...
pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #3

thanks for the info

I was on another board and some guys there relayed the same message....so it appears all is well and they look great
Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #4

Hey pauldee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldee
Sounds like normal operation. On MY99 anyway, sidemarkers don't blink, they just light with the parking or headlights. The 'Vette blinks to make it easier to target...
are your the original amber lights that don't blink? or did you deamber as well?

also is there anyone out of the 30 some odd people that have viewed this post that can chime in if their blinkers flash a little help guys! just go to the garage quick and check it out.....especially f you have an 05.....
Old 08-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #5

My side markers (amber) don't blink with the turn signals-06 base987
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #6

No, the side markers do not blink!!!!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #7

woo hoo

thanks a lot guys for helping me out! it is the oddest thing that they don't blink at leasdt to me but so be it.....
Old 11-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #8

987 Side Marker Change - How hard?

I just got a new 06' 987 in Seal Grey and the clear markers would definitly look better. I'm pretty technical and can certainly handle the change-out but what's involved? Looks like you need to remove the wheel well liner to get behind the light to release the lens. Is this a hassle or am I mistaken and everything can be done from the outside? A quick overview of the process would help from one of you guys who has done this.
tomk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk17
I just got a new 06' 987 in Seal Grey and the clear markers would definitly look better. I'm pretty technical and can certainly handle the change-out but what's involved? Looks like you need to remove the wheel well liner to get behind the light to release the lens. Is this a hassle or am I mistaken and everything can be done from the outside? A quick overview of the process would help from one of you guys who has done this.

Tomk17, you do not need to remove the wheel well's liner!. It takes about 3.47 minutes to pop-out & pop-in per sice. Pull the edge of the amber lens from the wheel forward towards the front bumper, disconnect the amber and then re-connect the clear, install in reverse order by setting the edge nearest the front bumper, and then pivoting back into place with the edge by the wheel well.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
I think there are pictures of the light change in your manual. Agree with bmuss- changed mine to clear in about 10 minutes!

Last edited by jeff; 11-09-2006 at 05:21 PM.
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #11

All you new "clear marker" owners need to go over to xenonmods.com and buy some silver bulbs to go in those clear markers to get rid of the egg yolk look.

I did it and mine are all nice and clear now.

BTW, if you have upgraded your tail lamps to red and clears, buy the rear bulbs too... and if you are planning to upgrade your rear lamps, order the silver bulbs now so you don't have to pay more shipping and handling later.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:36 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
You can get them to blink if you want to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
Okay, so I changed the marker over to clear from amber and I hit the turn signal and the light doesn't blink.....should it? If I turn on the lights the yellow light comes on but it doesn't blink if I hit the turn signal. I checked the other side and it doesn't blink either but the light works. I turned on the old vette and the side markers blink with the turn signal.....hmmmm.....anyone, thoughts?! Did I miss a connection?
You know, you can get them to blink if you want to, but it requires a little modification: http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996mods/sidemarkermod.html

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #13

Quote:
it is a little tricky but really easy to do.....okay you don't have to remove the well at all....there are instructions in the manual that tell you how to pop them out.....essentially you take a small flat head screw driver, inside the wheel well there is a little hole that the screw driver goes in.....you have to find the clip and pop it out with a little pressure.....it takes a lot less pressure than you would think, lining up with the clip is the bigger challenge.....I would do it this way, don't just yank them out, I think Mach Scnell just yanked them and had some problems afterward......really easy to do but to take pictures, the wife would have had to be woken up at 1:30 in the morning when I got off my lazy butt to do it.......

by the way, the manual says hold the screw driver perpendicular or 90 degree angle or something like that??? I found the clips but the screw driver was closer to flat against the wheel well

super 66
expert mechanic

Last edited by super66; 11-10-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
You know, you can get them to blink if you want to, but it requires a little modification: http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996mods/sidemarkermod.html
this link is not working for me. i am interested in doing this mod though. would love for my side markers to blink when turning. was it easy? any other link?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
Current:

I'm considering replacing my orange side markers with a clear set as well. Will this effect my factory warranty? I heard if you do anything yourself (like change tires, change the oil, etc...) you will lose the factory warranty.

Thanks in advance,

Justin
jrider36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #16
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
this link is not working for me. i am interested in doing this mod though. would love for my side markers to blink when turning. was it easy? any other link?
Try this link..
CHROME SILVER AMBER "CHROMIRROR" BULBS
Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider36 View Post
I'm considering replacing my orange side markers with a clear set as well. Will this effect my factory warranty? I heard if you do anything yourself (like change tires, change the oil, etc...) you will lose the factory warranty.

Thanks in advance,

Justin
That's the dealer trying to scare you to take your car in for service.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #18

Cool Side Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66 View Post
I have a Boxster S 2002 which has clear side lights and they blink fine.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
tony. sorry, you must have misunderstood me. i wanted to see the link on how to make your sidemarkers blink when you engage the turn signal. currently, mine does not.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #20

This is correct behavior for the Boxster. Threw me as we'll when I first removed and put my bumper back for radiator cleaning. On the 986 the side marker lights are running lights only and do NOT blink as turn signals.

mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote