Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #1

Remote Start

Hi All,

I took my Boxster into the local auto alarm shop to have remote start installed, and they told me that for my specific Boxster (2010), it is not possible to get remote start installed because of the ignition system.

Can anyone confirm if they have successfully installed remote start on their Boxster?

Thanks.

EnglishManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishManDan View Post
Hi All,

I took my Boxster into the local auto alarm shop to have remote start installed, and they told me that for my specific Boxster (2010), it is not possible to get remote start installed because of the ignition system.

Can anyone confirm if they have successfully installed remote start on their Boxster?

Thanks.
Hi Dan. welcome to the forum.
this is a 986 forum (Boxsters from 97 to2004), but I’ll try to help you out.
i never installed a remote start on a 987 or a 986 , but I’m familiar with the electrical system of the 986, and as far as i know the 987 is not much different. The two challenges you will have to face in installing a remote start (in any car), is overriding the original immobilizer, and make sure you disarm the alarm system, or the car will beep when you start it.
usually, this could be achieved, by using what is called "Data Module"
this is one of the leading brands:
https://www.amazon.com/Crimestopper-PASSLOCK-SL2-Passlock-Bypass-module/dp/B000VUGZ2G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513011736&sr=8-2&keywords=data+module+bypass
I checked few brands that I work with for you, but the only Porsche listed, is the Porsche Cayenne.
That means, that you will need to take the RFID pill out of one of your keys, and mount it next to the ignition key switch.
To override the alarm system, the installer will need to use a resistor on the unlocking command from the remote start module.
My installation manager sent me the attached PDF, that includes all the wiring information the installer will need for your car.
A good installer should be able to follow these steps with no issue.
You might also be able to find more information on, planet9 or renntech.org
Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2010boxter.pdf (145.8 KB, 199 views)
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
1999 base

Garage
looking at the instruction again, it looks like you might get by, with only leaving the transponder pill inside the car.

the installer will have to verify that, but if i read it correctly, the alarm will disarm itself if sensing ignition with the transponder present.
so it's even better, as you can disarm the alarm without opening the car.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
looking at the instruction again, it looks like you might get by, with only leaving the transponder pill inside the car.

the installer will have to verify that, but if i read it correctly, the alarm will disarm itself if sensing ignition with the transponder present.
so it's even better, as you can disarm the alarm without opening the car.
Thanks Meir, I will send this info to my installer however I don't think this is the exact solution. He was telling me that it was something to do with the ignition, and that some wires were sending a different voltage or ampage (I forget which one), and this unique ignition system is why he couldn't get it to work.

I'm not technical enough to know more than that LOL
EnglishManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishManDan View Post
Thanks Meir, I will send this info to my installer however I don't think this is the exact solution. He was telling me that it was something to do with the ignition, and that some wires were sending a different voltage or ampage (I forget which one), and this unique ignition system is why he couldn't get it to work.

I'm not technical enough to know more than that LOL
You are correct.
On the Boxster gen 3, the ignition switch is CanBus.
According to the PDF I attached, the feed to the ignition and starter, are done at the relay panel (driver side upper kick panel).
I’m sure the PDF will help him to figure it out, but if not, there are a lot of professional installers out there.
Good luck.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

I drive a manual 987.1 in the winter and I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago. Based on that research and contacting the top installers in the Chicago area I wasn’t able to find any solution for a remote start on a manual transmission 987 boxster. I had a viper SmartStart on my prior manual transmission 350Z and I miss it!
Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon View Post
I drive a manual 987.1 in the winter and I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago. Based on that research and contacting the top installers in the Chicago area I wasn’t able to find any solution for a remote start on a manual transmission 987 boxster. I had a viper SmartStart on my prior manual transmission 350Z and I miss it!
Don't you miss that 350Z I know I miss mine.

Tags
remote start