Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #21
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
+1 for driving on a 2x4 to get some extra height

I will also mention an alternative idea to jack stands, cribs. If you are not planning to remove the wheels, build a set. Mine are two stages, cost about $80 in 2x6's and an hour of time. I use them for oil changes when I don't want to mess with alternative jack points to get the car on stands.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post

If your car is too low for your jack simply drive over a piece of 2x4. One on each side will do.
Yea be careful with that. I've got a set of 4 - 2x12's with a 45 deg on each end so I can roll off. I use them to set a different car on to get a little space for (long explanation). Anyway I got the bright idea of placing them under the wheels of the Boxster to drive up on. Launched the two that had been in front of the real wheels about 40' out the back of the garage across the yard! Could have been a really bad day but escaped that one unharmed and a little smarter.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
+1 for driving on a 2x4 to get some extra height

I will also mention an alternative idea to jack stands, cribs. If you are not planning to remove the wheels, build a set. Mine are two stages, cost about $80 in 2x6's and an hour of time. I use them for oil changes when I don't want to mess with alternative jack points to get the car on stands.

and a fun game of jenga, life or death version.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #24
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There are about 40 3" screws in each section, I did not notice any movement in them when I lifted the car. Based on the information available online about crib designs, these can easily support a 986, or the foundation of a house.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #25
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
There are about 40 3" screws in each section, I did not notice any movement in them when I lifted the car. Based on the information available online about crib designs, these can easily support a 986, or the foundation of a house.
I may just replicate what you have done. I have a ton of 2 X 6's and deck screws left over from a deck I built and this looks like a great use for them. Do you happen to have the dimensions you used to construct these?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #26
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Here's a copy of the blueprint I made. The only tweak I would make, would be to make them a bit longer and use 2x4 instead of 2x2 for the ends. I predrilled the holes to avoid splitting any of the wood, and put 2 screws into each side of every board. They weight a lot, but you could also add some metal handles and edges if you wanted to get fancy.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #27

Garage
what weight do you estimate these will support 5-7 tons?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #28
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't have an exact number, but according to this a 3x3 crib built out of 4x4's supports 55,000 lbs. The 986 weights just under 3,000 lbs, and that is split between 4 points.

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-165/issue-9/departments/training-notebook/timber-cribbing-use.html
Old 12-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #29

Oh, yeah---lumber that's in good shape and assembled right (like in Rick's crib) will hold one helluva lot of weight. It's used to build house foundations!

I've for years used ramps made out of 2x8s. (Sorta wish I'd used 2x10s, although as constructed they have the obvious advantage of being lighter.) I've got a sloped driveway, so I back onto them for oil changes. Sometimes (as in this pic) I'll use a couple of my smaller ramps under the front tires to give a little more lift and to help accomplish a level car. (I should add that after this pic was taken I chocked a couple of the wheels before getting underneath the car.)

I've got 4 of those short ramps and use them to lift the car a little to be able to get the jack under it, or even if I'm just detailing the car (wash, wax, whatever)---just so I don't have to stoop quite so low to get the lower portions.

Marck makes a good point. I remember driving up on a separate piece of 2x8 or 2x10 one time (I don't remember why I wasn't using what's in the pic---maybe it was before I made them). But I over-gunned it a little and it fired outta there like it was coming out of a cannon! My dog was running around the yard---I'm super glad he was not behind the car at the time

I think the chunks of wood I have attached to the top level of the ramps helps some, plus (of course) it makes it less likely I'll back all the way off the tall end of the ramp.

Last edited by Frodo; 12-15-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:10 AM   #30

I work under the Porsche with jackstands. The only way my car is coming off those suckers is if there's 7.0 earthquake or if an A-10 from the air base crashes into my house. Neither is likely in Tucson.

My ramps are made by Rhino and came from Autozone for about $45. They are plastic and I believe made from recycled Coke bottles and water bottles.

I have a bunch of floor jacks, but for doing a lot of work under the Boxster, I drive it up on the ramps and then use a 12 ton air jack from Harbor Freight. And then put it on my 6 ton jackstands. My worksurface is 6" concrete, very level, btw.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
The only way my car is coming off those suckers is if there's 7.0 earthquake or if an A-10 from the air base crashes into my house. Neither is likely in Tucson.
I feel the same about my 2x8 wooden ramps in NE Ohio

That said, I have no reservations about working under the car on jack stands on those occasions when the wheels need to come off. That, of course, I do on a level stretch of driveway. But if I'm just changing the oil? Why waste time doing more than just backing onto the ramps? :dance:
Old 12-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #32
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Here's a copy of the blueprint I made. The only tweak I would make, would be to make them a bit longer and use 2x4 instead of 2x2 for the ends. I predrilled the holes to avoid splitting any of the wood, and put 2 screws into each side of every board. They weight a lot, but you could also add some metal handles and edges if you wanted to get fancy.
Thanks Rick, much appreciated!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
But if I'm just changing the oil? Why waste time doing more than just backing onto the ramps? :dance:
Totally agree to this. Just be sure you have a sturdy ramp. I do use ramps when changing oil.
There are those times when the wheels needs to come off and you have to work under the car. This is why I really these. The slots fit right Into the jackpoints of the Boxster and slots for jackstands. This ensures no slipping. As a secondary I leave my floor jacks under the liftbars to adjust height and secondary safety.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #34

Yeah, I'd love a set of those---they look amazing.

The only thing holding me back? My kid bought a plot of land and is planning on building a home in the not-too-distant future. And he plans a 3- (or 4-) car garage, with one of the bays having a built-in lift.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #35

That would be my dream garage but missing one thing. A lounge and a bar. 🤙
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #36

I'll suggest that to him..
Old 12-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #37
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I finally broke down and ordered a set. They are due the first week of January. I already have four jack stands. Watching the videos of them in use convinced me. The car goes up quickly and appears to be rock solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I finally broke down and ordered a set. They are due the first week of January. I already have four jack stands. Watching the videos of them in use convinced me. The car goes up quickly and appears to be rock solid.
Rex,
After you get them (if it's ok with you), I would like to swing by to check them out, as my car is pretty low but the idea seems like a good one...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #39
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Will do sir.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I work under the Porsche with jackstands. The only way my car is coming off those suckers is if there's 7.0 earthquake or if an A-10 from the air base crashes into my house. Neither is likely in Tucson.

My ramps are made by Rhino and came from Autozone for about $45. They are plastic and I believe made from recycled Coke bottles and water bottles.

I have a bunch of floor jacks, but for doing a lot of work under the Boxster, I drive it up on the ramps and then use a 12 ton air jack from Harbor Freight. And then put it on my 6 ton jackstands. My worksurface is 6" concrete, very level, btw.
As mentioned, Always have a safety backup, whether it's a jack, or the tires shoved under the car. Any single device can fail, even a jack stand, though rare. Do you want to be under the car when you experience a fluke failure ?

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote