Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

New shifter cables and short shifter

I had an issue not to long ago with the end of my shifter cable coming loose and only having 1st, 3rd and 5th. Fixed the cable temporarily and bought a new set of cables to install. (I would rather fix it properly instead of the jeri-rigged, silicone, fix-it job I did to get it working.)

I also have Ben's short shifter installed. Will the neutral alignment tool work with the short shifter? I thought I read somewhere that it might not. If not, how does one get it set up properly? Do I need to reinstall my old shifter with the alignment tool then transfer the markings over to reinstall the short shifter?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
I had an issue not to long ago with the end of my shifter cable coming loose and only having 1st, 3rd and 5th. Fixed the cable temporarily and bought a new set of cables to install. (I would rather fix it properly instead of the jeri-rigged, silicone, fix-it job I did to get it working.)

I also have Ben's short shifter installed. Will the neutral alignment tool work with the short shifter? I thought I read somewhere that it might not. If not, how does one get it set up properly? Do I need to reinstall my old shifter with the alignment tool then transfer the markings over to reinstall the short shifter?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
The answer to your question is yes and yes.
The alignment tool is not working with the short shifter.
It will be easier to follow the procedure you described.
Replace the cables and install the old shifter. Do not install the consule. Dive it for few days as you might need fine adjasments.
Once you are happy with the shifting, install the SS and repeat the process.
Only then put the consul back.
You are more then wellcome to ask me how I know
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks Meir. I was hoping there would be a shortcut.

I got pretty good at taking the console out and putting it back but I think I will follow your advice and leave it out until I get it dialed in to be sure.

dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote