Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Undercarriage piece hanging down - what is it?

Hello everyone,

Potentially buying a 2002 Boxster S and was sent this photo of the undercarriage. What is it? Should I be concerned? The car has been in storage for the last 2 years but has a detailed history up until that point.

Thanks!

Mitch

mltranmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

Garage
NEXT!!! Looks like the history part ending event. If that is evidence of the type of maintenance it received before it quit running.......errr stored, RUN.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

What is it? Also, if I could get it for $4000 should I still do it?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #4

Garage
Looks to me to be the rear plastic under panel has broken. It is hard to see in picture but there appears to be shoddy or collateral damage there and possible fluid leaking? My guess was some sort of accessory drive failure WP, belt pulley etc. Sitting takes a terrible toll on these cars. Even at $4k for the $$$$ you would need to spend to bring to proper maintenance you could easily eclipse a well cared for example.

PS: I think the old adage "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche" fits here.

Last edited by 911monty; 10-12-2017 at 09:11 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Looks to me to be the rear plastic under panel has broken. It is hard to see in picture but there appears to be shoddy or collateral damage there and possible fluid leaking? My guess was some sort of accessory drive failure WP, belt pulley etc. Sitting takes a terrible toll on these cars. Even at $4k for the $$$$ you would need to spend to bring to proper maintenance you could easily eclipse a well cared for example.

PS: I think the old adage "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche" fits here.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I want this to work but maybe not in my best interest.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltranmer View Post
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I want this to work but maybe not in my best interest.
I bought a cheap Porsche, an 01 Boxster base, low miles, $3200. In for a dime, in for $100 bills. I wish I'd taken my own oft given advise and taken it to a Porsche shop to have it checked out. It was in remarkably poor condition for a car with only 74,500 miles.

That broken panel is replaceable, but if I were you, I'd pay $100 or $150 for a Porsche shop to put it up on a lift and give it a decent inspection. Repair & replacement parts aren't necessarily spendy, if bought used. But they're not free.

Good luck!
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #7

I'm actually having it inspected tomorrow just to make sure. I'm very hesitant for good reason but definitely will not buy without an inspection by a reputable shop.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage

The plastic panel is not an issue to me. I've seen plenty of those broken and broke one or two myself. The spots on the floor under the car may be an issue. If it is a Rear main seal leak, or IMS seal leak, the transmission has to come off to replace/repair it. Many of us have done it as DIY, but not a good starting point for a beginner. Lots of labor cost at a shop. Good opportunity for a clutch and replacement IMS bearing though.
If the price is right, it would certainly be worth having a knowledgeable shop do a PPI and estimate on.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post

The plastic panel is not an issue to me. I've seen plenty of those broken and broke one or two myself. The spots on the floor under the car may be an issue. If it is a Rear main seal leak, or IMS seal leak, the transmission has to come off to replace/repair it. Many of us have done it as DIY, but not a good starting point for a beginner. Lots of labor cost at a shop. Good opportunity for a clutch and replacement IMS bearing though.
If the price is right, it would certainly be worth having a knowledgeable shop do a PPI and estimate on.
Haha, thanks 78F350...I was waiting for someone to comment on the spider web. You brought up something else I should mention. The clutch was replaced by a Porsche shop 7k miles ago and had an inspection at that time as well. I've attached the copy of the invoice. Wouldn't they have looked at the RMS/IMS at that point?

Edit: Yes, those are 3 distinct oil spots and engine is low on oil and light comes on when started. Oil was checked and it just covered the bottom 1/3 of the dipstick.

Last edited by mltranmer; 10-12-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The IMS cover and the updated RMS is on the invoice.

Last edited by tommy583; 10-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltranmer View Post
Edit: Yes, those are 3 distinct oil spots and engine is low on oil and light comes on when started. Oil was checked and it just covered the bottom 1/3 of the dipstick.
That ^^^^^^ is worrisome. The oil light should absolutely not come on when the car is running. Being on the bottom 1/3 of the dipstick shouldn't cause that. The oil.light comes on when oil pressure is Belo some low value like 8-10 PSI.

That invoice is impressive though, looks like a lot of stuff was take care of. I wonder why the oil leaks were not?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
The IMS cover and the updated RMS is on the invoice.
Well that makes me feel better...but still concerned about the oil light and leaking.