Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
My Creator Life

Very Happy with eBay LED Tail Lights.

I decided to try a reasonably priced set of eBay tail lights and over all it was a very good experience. First off, they looked exactly like the ones that were listed, always a huge plus! The build quality is very nice, on-par with the OEM pair I pulled out. And the fit was spot on. The lines matched up with the body and the lamps look like factory equipment once installed. The LED's are bright and the analog bulb placement and fit allow them to shine clearly and brightly. So my advice... If you're on the fence on buying one of these sets on eBay, you should... I placed a pic of the auction for my set here if you want a good seller. They were great.

MyCeratorLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #2

I've always liked those, they are my favorite of the aftermarket tail.lights, they look great on your car!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

I've done the same and the car just looks so much more up to date.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
WALDMEISTER

Garage
thumbs up! They look really good.

Talking of LED lights. I tried a 3rd brake light (LED version)...man, was that super bright! Waaaaay too bright, probably blinding anyone looking right into it...anyone else ran into the same problem?
Old 07-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

Garage
Uh oh. It's very rare something after market catches my eye. But I quite like these. I also love the spoiler lip?

Did you dip the oem one or is that a part.... I feel like that would look good on my speed yellow car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

Good-bye!

I like the "auf wiedersehen" spoiler message. I have a "PORSCHE" decal on there now, but I've been toying with the idea of changing it to "wassergekuhlt!" or "...is a TWO-syllable word!"
Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
I like the "auf wiedersehen" spoiler message. I have a "PORSCHE" decal on there now, but I've been toying with the idea of changing it to "wassergekuhlt!" or "...is a TWO-syllable word!"
Thanks!
It's mounted a little too high, though, so I might replace it. Right now I'm waiting for new letters to spell "LEMON" instead. That's what my daughter has named the car.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #8

Garage
I have had the same set from the same seller for several years now, excellent quality and they have held up well.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
My Creator Life

BIGJake111, Thanks!!! The Spoiler is from the factory. What I did was head out to PepBoys and I grabbed some Carbon Fiber tape. The brand is WrapTech Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap. Whats great about this wrap is that it's made of a thick weaved material. I applied the strip on my spoiler over a year ago and it hasn't faded or pealed off yet. One of my jobs in collage was wrapping cars, and I can say this wrap is on-par with the best wrap material I used on the job. The sell it in many different sizes... I'm sure you can find many other applications for it once you pick some up!!! Thanks again buddy!!!
MyCeratorLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I have had the same set from the same seller for several years now, excellent quality and they have held up well.
That's good to hear from someone who has had them a few years as my previous headlight and taillight purchases from Ebay had leaky seals after a short time (less than 2 years)
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #11
I am No. 1348

Garage
I would love to see a video of the brake lights and the blinkers in action; to see how bright they are and also how the brake light illuminates.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #12

I think there is a mod somewhere to get more of the LEDs to light up during brake light activation.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #13

Garage
The brake lights are VERY bright ! The turn signal is an OEM standard turn signal bulb so no difference from stock. To make the fog lights come on with the brake lights, I connected the fog light to the brake lights on the left side and then ran a wire to the right side, so now both LED's come on for the brakes. It is not perfect though. On the first press of the brake pedal, only the brake lights come on. On the second press and subsequent presses, both the brake lights and fog lights come on. I tried resistors but that did not fix the problem. Others on this forum have also tried to fix this quirk including taking it to a mechanic to no avail.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote