Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Does brand of IMS make a difference?

So it looks like I am going to give in and replace the IMS before I sell the Boxster. That said, does it make any difference which brand I pick to install? I am tending towards a roller bearing version i.e. Vertex or MB but don't want the brand to put off potential buyers.
I don't have anything against LN since I have one in my 996 but it kind of feels like a scam the whole 5 years or 50k miles thing.....
Thoughts?

Nedlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

Any of the roller or ball bearing retrofits are going to have a defined life span, so they will have to be replaced at some point. Regardless of their advertising, roller bearings units also have no more load carrying capacity than a quality ball bearing unit, so they actually are no stronger or resistant to wear. LN has also recently increased their suggested replacement for their ceramic hybrid bearings to 75K miles.

If you want to get away from having to look at retrofits and maintenance items, consider the IMS Solution, which is an oil fed solid bearing, and is a permanent, life of the engine retrofit. We are doing more of them than ever now that the Solution is available in a dual row design as well.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #4

I'm on original bearing and from what I can see I'll just replace it with a new one from Porsche. It would seem to me that the OEM has more unfailed miles than all the other systems combined and is a fraction of the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:11 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
I'm on original bearing and from what I can see I'll just replace it with a new one from Porsche. It would seem to me that the OEM has more unfailed miles than all the other systems combined and is a fraction of the price.

Do you mind sharing the statistic that you are quoting? Or is this purely conjecture?
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:09 AM   #6

Does brand of IMS make a difference?

Purely conjecture but I believe there are many more out there with non failed bearings than failed. The web lends itself to the doom factor. I have read lots of threads etc and the max % I have seen for failed bearings is 20% but from majority of articles it seems even 10% may be on the high side.

So even if we take 20% then that's 80% running on OEM bearings with no problems. Based on that info I'm going to speculate that the miles on OEM bearings is substantially greater than the third party ones, so for me I think I'll take those odds and install a new OEM bearing when the time comes to change the clutch.

I could be totally wrong and if I am then the jokes on me but until then I've decided to enjoy driving and working on the car as worrying about all the what ifs don't help.

Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not suggesting anyone follow it, it's just the route I've decided to take that works for me.

Last edited by Traco; 06-24-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post

Hopefully, you are aware that the only IMS bearing you can buy from Porsche is the third design oversized unit, and it only comes pre installed in a shaft and will require total disassembly of the engine to install it.

Good luck.....
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #8

Didn't know that so guess my options have been severely limited now. Just thought it'd be possible to buy the OEM part but there you go. "Every day is a school day!"

Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Just...

...stop worrying and buy the "IMS Solution" and start enjoying life.

I did.

I do.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Guys...
If you're going to respond to the OP, at least read post #1.

He's considering doing this to make it easier to sell, not for his own peace of mind. Any LN product is going to cost more than he will get in return when it sells (unless he installs it himself).
I think your best option is to keep trying to sell it as is.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

So the OP wants to create the widest possible audience and the least resistance on the part of the buyer.

The best known brand name is LN. The kit cost is in the $700 range but by the time an experienced mechanic does the job, the bill often climbs to $2k.

Will the OP recover that when he sells? Probably not. But it may sell faster and for a bit more compared to a car that didn't have the replacement.

An alternative is price the car $1k below what it would sell for with the IMS replaced. Hope someone not knowledgeable buys it at that price. If someone knowledgeable comes along and wants a PPI, have them pay for the PPI and if the PPI includes a filter drop or even a pan drop, the buyer is welcome to make his choice of IMS bearings and pay for it himself/herself. The OP will have contributed to the cost of the IMS but not had the risk of doing it and then not recovering the cost.

As a buyer, I'd rather buy that way because then I'd know that the replacement was done as a preventative measure and not after the original had contaminated all the oil passages and ground down all the other bearings.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...stop worrying and buy the "IMS Solution" and start enjoying life.

I did.

I do.

That's what my 996 is for....
Old 06-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
So the OP wants to create the widest possible audience and the least resistance on the part of the buyer.

The best known brand name is LN. The kit cost is in the $700 range but by the time an experienced mechanic does the job, the bill often climbs to $2k.

Will the OP recover that when he sells? Probably not. But it may sell faster and for a bit more compared to a car that didn't have the replacement.

An alternative is price the car $1k below what it would sell for with the IMS replaced. Hope someone not knowledgeable buys it at that price. If someone knowledgeable comes along and wants a PPI, have them pay for the PPI and if the PPI includes a filter drop or even a pan drop, the buyer is welcome to make his choice of IMS bearings and pay for it himself/herself. The OP will have contributed to the cost of the IMS but not had the risk of doing it and then not recovering the cost.

As a buyer, I'd rather buy that way because then I'd know that the replacement was done as a preventative measure and not after the original had contaminated all the oil passages and ground down all the other bearings.
The issue is buyers don't want the hassle or to have to pay. They want the job done and not have to worry. Problem is that LN have cornered the market to the point that people see anything else as inferior. Personally i have a problem paying so much for a bearing.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Nedlands.....

...if your bearing blows out in West Texas, at 2am, 150 miles from the nearest town, and food and shelter, and your wife is sitting next to you, and it's raining, and coyotes are howling, and 18-Wheelers are blowing by you, and strange, scary looking people are stopping to "help" you, how much money would you pay to NOT be in that place?

Just buy the "solution" and stop worrying.

You folks are looking at these cars all wrong. If you want cheap fun, buy a Miata.

:ah:
Old 06-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

And another thing....

..."Cornered the market"? Really? A low volume car that is 20 years old? Really? WHAT FREAKING MARKET?????

You think there is enough money in THAT pool for more than a couple of companies to actually engineer, test, and market and support a freaking bearing that a lot of folks don't even THINK they need?

What color is the sky in your world?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
..."Cornered the market"? Really? A low volume car that is 20 years old? Really? WHAT FREAKING MARKET?????

You think there is enough money in THAT pool for more than a couple of companies to actually engineer, test, and market and support a freaking bearing that a lot of folks don't even THINK they need?

What color is the sky in your world?
Well they made about 340,000 986/996 units combined. Granted, that includes turbos and gt3s that don't have the IMS issue but I would imagine those cars are a small part of the total. I wouldn't say its like the market for a honda civic but I certainly wouldn't call it low volume. They made a ton of these things.

OP, here is the most cost effective bearing if that's what your after. Claimed to be good for 40K. Costs $185

Pelican Parts IMS Bearing Retrofit Kit - PelicanParts.com
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Just buy the "solution" and stop worrying.
Still refusing to read, eh?

He's not worried. He's trying to expedite the sale of his car.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Well.......

......if nobody buys the darn thing, if he invests in the solution, he can drive her in peace.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The conundrum is price. If the Solution costs thousands to have installed (even the basic ceramic coated LN is going to cost $2k min installed), and it only gains him $1k on the sale price, it's not worth it.

Better to just drop $1k off the sale price and try to sell as-is, IMO.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
+1
And replacing the IMS just before sale will make some potential buyers suspicious. Personally, I'd rather buy a known good car and replace it with my choice of bearing.

Last edited by 78F350; 06-25-2017 at 03:57 AM. Reason: typo
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote