Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
boggtown

Need Advice on Rims

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-PORSCHE-GT5-SIL-STAG-WHEELS-BOXSTER-968-911-996-C2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43959QQihZ007QQitemZ 170007024134QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQtcZphoto

I am considering buying these wheels and I would like any input from you guys. What do you think of them, do you think they will fit without problem, quality of the wheel, etc. Thanks for your help and dont go buying them all because I want a set.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:03 AM   #2

It's hard to judge quality since they don't give a brand name. Also, you might want to ask them the weight of the wheels. As you probably know, heavier weight wheels can change handling and put some extra stress on suspension. Other than that, they're nice looking wheels at a good price.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
KronixSpeed

Hey those are my rims................

Well as far as weight goes, they weight about 25lbs rear and 23lbs front. I get soooo many compliments on them. Only because they are very simple and not like all the rims on the market..flashy. The rear lip is crazyyyy. You will need 7mm spacers for the rear, and a 275 rubber on the back. I'll post some pics. Ohh n when they get dirty and brake dusty...they become dark grey and look really good. When clean they glare.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #4
KronixSpeed

--------------------------
Old 07-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
KronixSpeed

ohh and brand name. they seem to be a copy of the axis hiros. i have called axis in california to see if they make this rim for a porsche boxster, and they say no. somthing fishy going on. the real axis rims have a logo imprinted on one of the spokes "axis". if you go into any car magazine and look for a car rim company, you will see these rims under the axis rims. visit the website axis.com. i bought them anyways i really liked the rim. i actually prefer that the rims don't have an imprint that says axis. the only thing that i didn't like was the middle cap. they are like a bolt of some sort, but have seen the same bolt style on many cars. i super glued my porsche middle caps to the rim, had to be pushed in. you might not like this procedure, so check the middle caps out before u buy them. if they dont give u a pic, tell me and ill take a pic of the bolt for you, and you can see what it looks like.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
boggtown

Thats great you have those, I may not have yellowbrakes (getting mine painted or powdercoated red within a year or so) but my car is black so I am very confident that I will buy them. Sure I would like to see the bolt, but how hard was it to super glue the crests in the middle, did you have to break the back prongs off or did it just slip in there too loose and you had to secure it? They also said they recommended a 265/30/19 tire on the rears, do you think its worth it to get the 275's?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
KronixSpeed

only problem with the 265 on the back was, that they told me that the 10.5 width of the rim would need a 275 tire. so you would be stretching the 265 to put on the 10.5 rim. no matter what put the 7mm spacer on the back. it touches when the car is lifted, but when you lower the car back to the ground the rim does not touch the inside strut. the 7mm spacer is just for a little extra room between the strut and the rim.

the porsche crest caps didnt have to be broken, i just bent the back clips and secured it into the middle of the rim. then so that it wouldnt fly off, i put super glue around the back inside. i guess when i need new tires i will just have to punch them out, and re-do the process of glueing them back in. i've been driving like this for 4 months with it super glued, and its been solid. i've drivin at some pretty high speeds and they are still on and very secure. only problem is that they stick out alitte, about 2mm, not really a big deal. worst comes to worst, ive gone to the local honda performance shop and bought aftermarket middle caps that fit on any rim. i was going to paint them, but then just tried to secure my porsche crest caps.

i'll take a picture of the bolts that come with the rim and the ones that i bought from the local shop. this might help in explaining far better.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Depending on the rubber used even a 275 may look stretched on a 10.5" wheel. I have 18X10s and use 285/30/18...

Definitly wouldnt reccomend a 265....
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
boggtown

Awesome, thanks guys! I am also ordering some tires from tire rack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP) I havent really heard of the brand but they are number 1 in their catagory. Just making sure but 235/35 in front 275/30 rear. BTW how much is an average mounting and balancing cost?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #10

These are Jaz Heros

These wheels are Jaz Hero wheels check these photos at:

///Users/Phaze/Desktop/boxster%20pics/2001%20Porsche%20Boxster%20-%20Atilla's%20Porsche.webarchive.

Sorry I don't know how to turn that into a link
reflex58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #11
KronixSpeed

hey, okay i also bought these general tires.....i for one wanted to test them out, as i dont really race the car or will ever track the car. for normal street driving and some crazzyyy driving on the streets, these tires are very good. seems also like the tread hasn't even been touched in the 4 months 5000km. noise with these tires i really haven't had a problem, they don't seem to be too noisy. tread design i like a lot. nice looking tire in the 19inch, low profile, and looks aggressive. i did buy them to save money also, and really think that i bought the right set.

however, my next set will be a better set for sure. just to compare the quatily to another type of tire. see if i was missing anything. other then that, the tire is solid and comes with the M+S. i know you really shouldnt be puting this kind of tire on a performace car. but with 225 hp, i don't see a problem. now if it was a 911 with 300h.p...i probably wouldnt buy these tires.

hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
KronixSpeed

Hey Bogtown

check these rims out............

http://cgi.ebay.ca/19-PORSCHE-GTS-STAGGERED-WHEELS-BOXSTER-996-C2_W0QQitemZ180004918023QQihZ008QQcategoryZ43959QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
boggtown

those rims are sweet, but too expensive for me. besides, i'd hate to have such a recognizable wheel (ssr gt3) and have to say they are not. Well I guess great minds think alike. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
KronixSpeed

yes they are more pricey....i still like the axis hiros, that i have. sorry i messed up the website address. its not axis.com....try axiswheels.com and look at the axis hiros. they have applications for the 350z but not the boxster for some odd reason. they even show the center caps/bolt.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #15

I love the SSR GT3s, but I'm not sure why one would buy the imitations when you can get real ones for not a lot more money.

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote