Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Reminds me of a wheeler dealers episode where Edd was working on an Audi TT (I think that's what it was) where a couple of gears had disappeared. When he opened the tranny up he found a piece where a pin had sheared off. It was in the tranny, hadn't chewed up the gears. Part was not available but he extracted the remainder of the pin and fashioned a replacement pin.
I own a TT and in the tt community it is known as the "Edd mod". Weak little rivet that breaks replaced with a bolt. Lots of owners have done it while doing the clutch to avoid the infamous breakage.

bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #22
VII

Alrighty, so an update today for those interested. I looked online and found I could order the pins for $22 each for a Boxster but there was differences in years and such. I tried looking for Passat and A4 transmission parts but had a difficult time finding anywhere selling bits like I needed so I took a trip to the local Upull.

There I found a 1999 Passat and a 2002 A4 Quattro. The Quattro has a different transmission but I just wanted the pins and they were so much easier to access than the Passat's. I got them out, found they were labeled KXA1 ALU when I need KXA ALU. I went to the Passat and finally got those pins out and side by side they look identical. The lady at the counter didn't even make me pay so it saved me about $90 after shipping and such.

I'll try to get these in tomorrow and see how they fit. Then I need a selector shaft seal, some fluid and I'll be set to bolt it all back together.

VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:52 AM   #23

Sorry to bump an old thread, but a question: does anyone know if these pins are what provide side-to-side tension for the selector shaft? It looks like they might contain springs?

My 5 speed transmission doesn't "center" as snappy as I'd like. Some of it, I'm sure, is in the shifter/cables/linkage. But I'm wondering if the problem is also [partially] internal to the transaxle, and am trying to figure out what the centering mechanism is.''
Attached Images