Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #1

Window Tint

I was apprehensive (and lazy) about my limo tint on my side windows (put on before I bought the car) but removed it last night.

If any of you are leery of doing this on one of your cars, it comes off easily by using a razor blade to peel back one corner and then just pull slowly and firmly in a downward direction.

Now I have not tried this technique on a rear window with defroster wires in the glass, but I bet with some windex spayed along the edges as it's peeled off it would work just as well.

I gotta say that the car both looks and feels different inside without that tint on the windows. The interior cabin seems 2x bigger now and I don't have that goldfish bowl feeling any longer. Should have done it the first weekend I had the car two years ago!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #2

Consider it a mod! WOOT!
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
fab

you just convince me NOT to do mine.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #4

I love my tint... I get nothing but compliments. If you have a glass rear window that you can tint, I think it looks great.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
KronixSpeed

Thumbs up

i think tints is the number one thing you do to any car. totally changes the look of the car. the boxster window being small, look even smaller with tints. n takes away a lot of heat. i open the window and pure heat comes down on you. close the window and it's not as hot.

i love my tints.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #6

I'm thinking that if I'd had a legal tint I would have liked it... but my tint was limo black.

Illegal and dangerous... with the windows up at night, I've had three or four near misses with pedestrians and the side of my gate and garage. I simply could not see out of them to navigate safely. I can see why they're illegal for front windows.

I'm with you though... ANY car I buy get tint on the windows the first week of ownership. Houston's known as "sauna city" for a reason!

Interesting observation: I rarely see convertibles with dark tint on the windows. Looks odd with the top down to lots of other convertible owners as well I guess.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I'm thinking that if I'd had a legal tint I would have liked it... but my tint was limo black.
Ah Randall, you ol' timers and your eyes... Actually, limo tint may be kinda dark. I'm the next step up from limo. I love it. C'mon, this is Texas, we need it as dark as we can get it!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
KronixSpeed

okay then randall you win...lol...i guess limo tints can be dangerous, looks aside. i just like the way they look on the car...lol. make the car look real mean.

i have legal tints and they aren't that dark at all. but i would also take them off, if they were dangerous, because i couldnt see.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #9

Oh dude, don't misread my thoughts on dark tint... it looked WICKED on my boxster from the outside looking at the car and I felt like I owned a batmobile or stealth fighter jet! The whole removal decision was about safety, legality and passing my inspection.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:23 AM   #10

Talking

Nothing says " I am from the hood" like a nice dark tint job.

That and really really big rims!

IMHOP!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to subgraphic
For stubborn tint:

you need 1 blk trash bag, 1 blade,1 spray bottle filled with amonia, 1 mid day sun.

Cut the bag to roughly the shape of the window, spray the amonia liberly on the tint, place bag on tint, pressing all bubbles and wrinkles out... leave in sun for 20 min.

Remove bag, spray again, scrape. It will come off like tissue paper.

edit: sorry about typos.. Im sleepy//
subgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #12
boggtown

I would consider 20% tint. I have it on my black boxster and it looks close to limo tint, but from inside its not near as bad. plus, you can barely see through it from the outside, so its almost legal... at least in missouri, here its 35%. Ive had no problems with cops or inspections.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #13

If you think you are going to have trouble with an inspection, just drop the top and roll the windows down. At least it worked for me, here just south of Dallas. I have illegal tint and love the look both from the inside and the out.

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #14

I have been going back and forth about tint. It's gets really hot here, but I'm not sure I'm convinced. I bought a tan interior to help with the heat. Can one of you guys post a picture with the tint?

By the way, I was at a promotion party last night and got hammered. I spent the night at my buddies house and woke up feeling pretty rough. Got in the Box, drove 30 miles home and feel like a new man. I love that car.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
boggtown

I have a black boxster with gray interior. heres a pic, but keep in mind the sun is directly glaring at the window, any other time it would be impossible to see inside of it without being 2 feet away and standing perpendicular to the window. sorry for the quality, I might take some pics with MY camera later.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I have been going back and forth about tint. It's gets really hot here, but I'm not sure I'm convinced... ...Can one of you guys post a picture with the tint?
It's only 986, but:

This is not limo. It's the next step up, maybe 20%?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #17

Jeph, you need to take off you EZ Tag, spray it flat black and re-apply it to the windshield so it disappears. Then it will be as stealthy as your dark tinted windows.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #18

Jeph, that is a mean looking ride. I think I am going to tint...not quite that dark though. Is your ride lowered or are those 19s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph

This is not limo. It's the next step up, maybe 20%?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:04 AM   #19

5% limo...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:39 AM   #20

Thumbs down

From a pedestrian's or motorcyclist's point of view, tinted windows are lethal. When entering an intersection at the same time as a car with tinted widows, you have no idea if the driver sees you. The only reason I could understand tinting a window is if you live in a very hot climate and it keeps your car cooler, and even then I wouldn't do the driver's window.

Anyway, have a blast tinting your windows but give a thought to the people on the other side of the glass. And, oh yeah, how do you think a cop feels approaching a car he can't see into?