Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Headlight fitment

My passenger side headlight assembly was tilted back more than it should of been. The top was fine but the hole for the headlight washer was about a 1/4 of an inch above the washer nozzles. I thought it was a big job to adjust the housing but after searching the forum I realized it supposed to be fairly easy. It took me quite a while to finally get it what I call perfect. Later I thought check to see if the lights work. Now none do ☹
I didn't unplug the main connector wires.
I was wanting an opinion. I hate to take it out again. Would it be easier to remove the inner fender liner and see what happened under there?
Thanks in advance.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
You could look from inside the fender but it is easier to pull the light out. Remember, litronics have 2 plugs to connect, one should just slide in when the light is placed back but there is another at an angle that need to be inserted manually.

Looking from inside the fender will confirm if the 2 sockets get connected right but removing the liner entails taking your wheel off and removing several expansion rivets and at least one nut.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks
What's bugging me is I didn't unplug the one and the other should of connected when I slid it in.
Just wonder if it could be anything else.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The headlamp's female socket connection pushes into a plastic post with a male plug. That plug sometimes comes loose from the post or the post cracks, and therefore won't allow the headlamp socket to connect. Happened to one of my plugs that came loose from the post. I had to buy a new clip to properly reattach the male plug to the post, and then the headlamp connection worked fine. Take the headlamp out, look into the headlamp tray, and you'll see what I'm talking about. If the plug or post in the back presses back with your hand, then you know the problem.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #5

Your right the stationary plug that is hooked to the bracket has come loose and fell out. Doesn't seem to want to stay attached. Is the bracket very much? Hard to replace?
Another problem. In the pic below, there us a tube that is supposed to be attached to the plug under the wiring that is broken away. What is that? It seems to be hollow. With the inner fender open up are all these part accessible? If so I could hand plug in the plug. Depending on what the tube is.
Just trying to figure how bad this is going to be.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It looks like the yellow clip (shown on the post) has broken. You can get that at the dealer for cheap. This yellow clip secures the plug to the post. The yellow clip pulls right out. You insert the plug into the post, and then use the yellow clip to secure it. That should solve your problem. I'm not sure what that tube is, as I've never seen that disconnected or laying out there in the open. You can alternatively just get behind the fender lining, and just manually press in the plug into the headlamp if you want, and that would work too, but then you'll have to do this everytime you take out the headlamp. You are lucky that the post itself has not broken, cause if that broke, you'd need a whole new headlamp tray.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

It looks this hose was connected to the male plug under the wires and has broken off. I'm 90% sure of this. Anyone out there have any idea what this us? It's equipted with the Xenon headlight pkg.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #8

Xenon headlight breather tube i guess. I imagine its is important?

Last edited by JBauer; 05-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Maybe it's part#23 from the diagram below (breather tube) like you said. Can you just reconnect it?
Boxster 986 (1997-2004) - Headlamp, Litronic

Old 05-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #10

I think its been broken off and glued back on. I don't see how I could of broken it because of its location behind the plug.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:18 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
The breather tube just slides over a small tube in th back of the plug. It is a friction fit.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

The good news is the clip isn't broken just not engaged ��. The bad news is the tube from the connector to the hose is broken off in the hose ��
What are the consequences, if any of the hose being unhooked?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The breather tube is not important. I opted to seal mine off years ago.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #14

It's always bugged me how the sprayer nozzles don't fit flush in the headlight assemblies. At least mine don't.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
It's always bugged me how the sprayer nozzles don't fit flush in the headlight assemblies. At least mine don't.
Mine was a 1/4 too high but I kept playing with it and now its flush. I guided the rear of the lamp up as I was putting it in and got it pretty flush.