Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #41
03S

Just removed those tabs on my 03. No holes in the top but dimpled. The tabs unscrew and the top goes up and down just fine. I know they are there for a reason but they can easily be reinstalled.

03S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #42
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Anyone want to buy some genuine factory Porsche top frame tabs? They are in excellent condition, and I'll sell em to you for a great deal!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
I may be wrong, but you might want to consider removing the other tab as well. If you leave one tab there, when the top is folded, the other side may be tilted, and cause something in the frame to not sit right. I'd keep both sides on an even plane. JMHO. You can always return both tabs if you want in the future. Oh, and after removing the tabs, I also removed the tape. There's no reason to have any additional stiffness in the fabric while it's moving up and down, and no longer anything pressing on it.
Removing the second tab is under considerable. As for the tape, I think I will leave it on. As I mentioned, I already have a hole in one side and the other side is showing significant wear
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #44
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Makes sense to keep the tape on if the area is worn out. Good luck, and hope this makes your top last longer.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:35 AM   #45
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Removed the tabs from mine a few nights ago. Haven't put the top back down again but will do that soon.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 AM   #46

At a guess I would think the tab is there to align the other bow above it when it's closed and to stop it pinching the roof itself.
Looks like it causes more problems than it solves.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:48 AM   #47
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think it does that as well as keep the whole top frame from moving laterally when cornering hard, which could potentially pop the plastic caps off the ball joints. We'll see what happens after these are off long term, but so far I'm just glad there's no more bumps in the fabric. Those tabs were pressing so hard against the fabric that the rubber backing behind the fabric was stretched out. It was bound to rip through sooner or later.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #48
I am No. 1348

Garage
Is this issue specific to the 2003? I don't seem to have this problem on the 2004. I guess you have to remove the interior liner to view the tabs. Mine seem to be flat and smooth. I'm curious what the difference is.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #49
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Is this issue specific to the 2003? I don't seem to have this problem on the 2004. I guess you have to remove the interior liner to view the tabs. Mine seem to be flat and smooth. I'm curious what the difference is.
You don't have to remove the headliner to see the tabs. All you have to do is take your hand and pull it away from the roof fabric, and look in between. You'll then see it. I don't think it's only a problem specific to the 03, as the 04 top is the same. Also, there's someone with an 04 top that I know has the same problem. Mine also didn't exhibit this problem for the first several years I had it. It only recently came up as a problem about a year ago. I think over time, the location of the roof mechanism shifts a little so that the frame folds in a way that when fully down, allows the tabs to press hard against the fabric. The longer you keep the top down, the more pronounced the bumps are after you put the top up.

If you're not seeing the problem yet, then don't do anything, I say. Once you start seeing the bumps, then you know what you can do.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #50

I don't have those bumps or wear marks on the top of my 2003 which I've owned from new. But after the first winter I had my hard top on, 3 winters ago, my top developed some different wear marks on both sides a bit higher up. I think the marks developed from the top being folded down for such a long period, I never had them before I got the hard top.

Chuck W, Gunter is also dyslexic. He believes Excellence Was Excepted. I think he also designed the glued-in coolant pipes on the GT1 block!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #51

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Side question here:

For the past theee years I have been trying to figure out where to hook the strap hopefully this is the right spot
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #52
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
That's not the right spot actually. If you look right near there, but a little more inward and UNDER the top, you'll see a plastic tab/hook where the strap should hook onto.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 AM   #53
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
That's not the right spot actually. If you look right near there, but a little more inward and UNDER the top, you'll see a plastic tab/hook where the strap should hook onto.
I put mine there as well, a bit easier to get attached than on the corner as I did prior.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #54

Garage
Don't see it on my 2004 S top.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Don't see it on my 2004 S top.
Look under the bottom edge of the black surround piece under the back of the top, under the window where the canvas ends. If it hasn't come loose, there is a piece of Velcro glued on that - not sure if the part is metal or plastic. The strap runs along the bottom of that part from the driver side to about 3/4 of the way to the passenger side and is attached to the Velcro. It was only on 2003 and 2004 glass window tops.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Side question here:

For the past theee years I have been trying to figure out where to hook the strap hopefully this is the right spot
That strap is supposed to go UNDER the side of the top, so that it can be hooked onto the locating tab on the front of the convertible top frame.

When you are done with it, it gets unhooked and then gets folded over onto itself and be stowed by pressing it onto the velcro section that is located under the rear main bow.

Your other situation (relayed to me by Boxtaboy) with the top binding on the back of the roll bar hoops looks like it may be alleviated by relocating the entire frame a tiny bit back by loosening the 3 bolts on each side of the frame (and one possible phillips head screw).

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #57

Garage
Have to admit that all along I've been using the strap in the same way as Schoir. You learn something every day
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #58

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir View Post
That strap is supposed to go UNDER the side of the top, so that it can be hooked onto the locating tab on the front of the convertible top frame.

When you are done with it, it gets unhooked and then gets folded over onto itself and be stowed by pressing it onto the velcro section that is located under the rear main bow.

Your other situation (relayed to me by Boxtaboy) with the top binding on the back of the roll bar hoops looks like it may be alleviated by relocating the entire frame a tiny bit back by loosening the 3 bolts on each side of the frame (and one possible phillips head screw).

Regards, Maurice.

Hey Maurice,

Thanks for the info. The problem I am having is the glass window did not want to fold down so the rest of the top started binding against it. Removing the two tabs seems to have fixed it. I'll try take a video it's hard to explain how it binds properly
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #59

BEWARE. After reading this and having the same wear marks I have just removed the said tabs. I then tried the roof a couple of times and the white ball socket on the end of the hood strut broke and shot off.
Can't be sure it related but it's hell of a coincidence.
I now need to spend £70 for a replacement oem strut, however I see on ebay you can get a metal replacement socket only for £25. I think it must be an aftermarket product and not oem.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:18 AM   #60
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Do not use the metal ball socket. These items were made of plastic for a reason - to break if there was undue pressure on the strut - saving you from even worse damage. Buy the aftermarket plastic ones. I suggest buying a few so you have an extra on hand. Also do not operate the convertible top electronically until the socket is replaced - that strut will poke a hole in your foam drip tray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote