Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2023, 06:24 AM   #1

Key/Fob Question

I've recently purchased a 1997 Boxster (my first Porsche). It came with a standard key and the small valet key. Both keys start the car, no issues at all. Neither key will turn when inserted into the keyholes in the doors and the buttons on the fob do not lock/unlock the doors. The light on the fob does light up and I've replaced the battery in the fob, just to make sure it's at full strength. When I asked the previous owner about it, he said it had been like the whole time he's owned the car (about 3 years) and he just never locked it. I don't know, but I'm guessing someone had replaced the ignition at some point and not the door locks. Is that a reasonable assumption? What would I need to do to get the fob to lock/unlock the doors?

Thanks

ecruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:39 AM   #2

Sort of in the same situation so I don't have an answer for you. When I got my Boxster the single key was in a 944 fob (with the led flashlight) and no remote locking. It does unlock the doors and start the engine. I have purchased a used Boxster fob, but need to have it programmed, presumably by a dealer.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #3

Does the key work in the center console lock? If not, then the ignition was probably changed. If it works in the center console, I would put that in the door.

The fob either isn’t programmed to the car (and without the programming code can’t be) or has gone thru the wash and doesn’t function other than lighting the led (this is the case with mine).
elav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elav View Post
Does the key work in the center console lock? If not, then the ignition was probably changed. If it works in the center console, I would put that in the door.

The fob either isn’t programmed to the car (and without the programming code can’t be) or has gone thru the wash and doesn’t function other than lighting the led (this is the case with mine).
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The keys do not work in the center console either.

Are the only options to either, live with it the way it is or start from scratch? New ignition, door locks, fob, etc? Is that even an option on a 26 year old car? I'd rather not leave it unlocked, if I could avoid it.

Last edited by ecruz; 07-21-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:39 AM   #5

The issue with "starting from scratch" will be the cost. One of my coworkers purchased a spare key from Porsche and if I recall correctly, it cost him close to $300. That was several years ago, and I expect the cost is higher now. If you have to buy several components, I expect that the price will cause sticker shock. There is no harm in asking the dealer, but make sure your sitting down when they tell you the cost.

If I was in your situation, I would consider contacting a locksmith to determine whether the door lock can be modified to work with the key you have. On my car, only the driver's door has a keyed lock. I'm not sure whether earlier cars had a keyed lock on the passenger door. This may be the least costly option. However, it won't be as convenient as having remote locking and unlocking.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #6

1997 boxster base no remote for door lock only lock with key in the door the button on the keyis only a light for held at night
JacquesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:17 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
The issue with "starting from scratch" will be the cost. One of my coworkers purchased a spare key from Porsche and if I recall correctly, it cost him close to $300. That was several years ago, and I expect the cost is higher now. If you have to buy several components, I expect that the price will cause sticker shock. There is no harm in asking the dealer, but make sure your sitting down when they tell you the cost.

If I was in your situation, I would consider contacting a locksmith to determine whether the door lock can be modified to work with the key you have. On my car, only the driver's door has a keyed lock. I'm not sure whether earlier cars had a keyed lock on the passenger door. This may be the least costly option. However, it won't be as convenient as having remote locking and unlocking.

Good luck.
I'd much rather incur the ridiculous expense of having a device that remotely can lock and unlock my doors than the inconvenience of taking an extra 1.27493 seconds to use my key. /S

First world problems, lol.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesB View Post
1997 boxster base no remote for door lock only lock with key in the door the button on the keyis only a light for held at night
OK, that makes things a little simpler. Now I just need to figure out how to get the door lock to work. Like I mentioned, the key doesn't work in the door or in the console. So I'm guessing the ignition has been replaced at some point.
Old 07-26-2023, 03:21 AM   #9
New Boxster S owner

I’m curious is you have the transponder pill in your key or if it’s duct taped under your dash somewhere. If so, you might be able to sort out keys without reprogramming.
madtown986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #10

Bring the center console and door tumblers to a locksmith to get them re-keyed to the ignition key
elav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elav View Post
Bring the center console and door tumblers to a locksmith to get them re-keyed to the ignition key
I wondered if something like that was possible. Thanks for the reply