Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
1998 Boxster

Pre-lube?

It's been mentioned in some threads the importance of pre-lubing, or pre-oiling a motor after having done major work. Can anyone explain what the process is, or suggest a place to find information on the process? Thanks.

rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

It has been mentioned (by me!) and was refuted by Jake. So I accept it is not a good idea.YEMV.
He saved me from making this mistake on a newly rebuilt engine. Pity he no longer Posts here.Invaluable advice.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

Garage
This IMO is a hold over to american engines. It was and is a very good practice IF it can be done. American iron such as chevy had the ability to remove the distributor drive shaft, grind the cam drive gear off and use the shaft to spin the oil pump, WITHOUT spinning the motor over. This pumped oil through the galleries to the rotating assembly bearings, crank, cam and piston rod and finally to the valve lifters. This ensured an oil film to all components before firing the motor.
Unfortunately this is not possible with the Porsche motor. To prime the Porsche motor you have to spin the rotating assembly with the starter until oil pressure comes up. The downside to this is the pistons have now travelled up and down their bores dry. This introduces greater wear to the rings and bores of the cylinders. In fact some manufacturers do this to seat the rings on a new engine.

Last edited by 911monty; 04-27-2017 at 03:37 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

Note -if you can find Jakes comment IIRC:
In this situation rotate the M96 ONLY with the Fuel Pump relay removed ! Do not pre-fill the oil filter
On a rebuilt engine you will have lots of oil/prelube/assembly lube on vital parts and the oil pump may have been filled with Vaseline also.
On a used engine there will be oil residue all over and at least 1+ pint can't be drained w/o removing the Bank 1 Timing Chain Tensioner anyway.

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-27-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
1998 Boxster

I know there are lots of you guys that have done major internal work on there cars. Can anyone else share their thoughts on initial start up procedures? Has anyone used the process of pumping oil from a pressurized reservoir into the engine through a port such as the opening where the oil pressure sensor screws into?
Old 04-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

The few of us who have rebuilt an M96 are much less credible sources of advice on this than Jake Raby. If you Search to find his responses to a similar(ineffective) proposal I made you may learn a little more than in my previous Post.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:41 AM   #7
1998 Boxster

Gelbster, thanks for your input. Haven't had any luck searching the topic with key words. I must admit, I'm not very skilled at using the search tool.

my engine has been apart for two years. I had the heads and valves redone. I'm excited to have it back together and hope to turn the key later today for the first time.

Again, I have read on various sites about the importance of pre-oiling...pre-lubing....priming the oil system prior to initial start-up. None of these terms have resulted in any relevant posts.

What I have picked up along the way is that I have two options for pre-oiling the system:

The first, (and easiest) - remove the fuse to the fuel pump; crank the engine for several seconds and repeat this procedure a few times in order to build oil pressure. I have read that this approach poses potential risk to the internal components that are dry while awaiting oil to circulate.

The second - utilize a pressurized holding tank containing several quarts of oil. Connect the tank with a hose to the engine via an inlet such as the port used for the oil pressure sensor; force oil from the pressurized tank through the entire engines oil passages, creating complete lubrication and oil pressure to all vulnerable components of the engine.

Anybody! Please chime in if you have knowledge that might be helpful on this topic. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Your First system is what is recommended by experts(not me). The assembly lube you used will protect the bearings in this period. Don't overheat the starter motor.
After 2 years sitting ,I hope you changed all the fuel and the fuel filter and purged all the fuel lines.The old gas will have gelled.The filter baskets in the injectors have a mesh size that will plug with any gelled fuel and maybe the fuel pressure regulator also.Once the engines stalls with gelled fuel it is very tedious to remove it.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
1998 Boxster

Thanks. I did add fuel stabilizer. But, I suppose it's benefit must expire with time. Do you know of an easy way to drain the tank?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah rah 986 View Post
Thanks. I did add fuel stabilizer. But, I suppose it's benefit must expire with time. Do you know of an easy way to drain the tank?
The usual method(Search) is to jumper the fuel pump relay with a harness that contains a fuse and a MOM switch. Very tedious.