Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: cape breton
Posts: 65
transmisson oil weights?

i changed my transmission oil to the recommended syn-tech 75/90, but now it is stiff in the mornings until it gets warmed up. is there a lighter option?

i have no idea what fluid was in it in the first place, or miles on it, but it was smooth shifting regardless of temperature.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Ireland
Posts: 112
transmisson oil weights?

Give it a bit of time. I just did mine with 75/90 but 1-2 is a pain when it's cold. However when warm it's much better and crisper with the new fill. Researching the oils I did see some comments where new oils can take some miles to settle down and that shifts can be heavy untill then. Like it needs to get mixed and beaten around a bit so that it's gets to its regular parameters. No clue about the science but give it a few hundred miles before you change just in case.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Traco
_________________
Older but no wiser.
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
i changed my transmission oil to the recommended syn-tech 75/90, but now it is stiff in the mornings until it gets warmed up. is there a lighter option?

i have no idea what fluid was in it in the first place, or miles on it, but it was smooth shifting regardless of temperature.
Most likely, the oil you drained was the factory oil. I don't know who "recommended" that oil, but I would suggest you do a search on the topic as Porsche is well known for using a unique gear oil that is manufactured to their specs, which no one in the aftermarket offers. You might be surprised at how many attempts at using aftermarket gear oils end up in our shop to be switched back to the factory fill due to shifting issues, noise, etc.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S.California
Posts: 2,011
One such oil-spec meddling fool was me.
In cahoots with a very smart German expert on the Forum , I was convinced we could find a better/cheaper oil for the 6 speed . Impressed by our geekish knowledge of the most obscure aspects of tribology we conducted an Internet research project of epic proportions.
Result - zero.
The Porsche spec was the best and in view of the probable repercussions,using substitutes like I almost did - may have been very expensive.
You will always find snake oil anecdotes about 'superior' substitutes. But 2 of us learned to hang back and let other fools go first,second,.......
And I hate paying the Porsche tax - except when it is worth it.
And yes, cough , I am rebuilding a 6 speed now .
The 5 speed and Tip may be more forgiving?

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-16-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
One such oil-spec meddling fool was me.
In cahoots with a very smart German expert on the Forum , I was convinced we could find a better/cheaper oil for the 6 speed . Impressed by our geekish knowledge of the most obscure aspects of tribology we conducted an Internet research project of epic proportions.
Result - zero.
The Porsche spec was the best and in view of the probable repercussions,using substitutes like I almost did - may have been very expensive.
You will always find snake oil anecdotes about 'superior' substitutes. But 2 of us learned to hang back and let other fools go first,second,.......
And I hate paying the Porsche tax - except when it is worth it.
And yes, cough , I am rebuilding a 6 speed now .
The 5 speed and Tip may be more forgiving?
Believe it or not, the five speed also uses a unique product that is actually different than that of the six speed, and is made by an obscure division of Shell to Porsche specs.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 366
I'm pretty frugal on many things but after reading people's issues with other oils I ponied up and bought the Porsche transmission oil. Some things aren't worth messing with.
__________________
DD summer/winter: 2000 Boxster S
DD spring/fall: 914-6 w/ 3.0L SC Dual Webers

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,242
Garage
Anyone want to buy some Swepco 201 ? Only used 5 miles.
__________________
2000 S Speed Yellow LN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle&,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. Fabspeedsport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: cape breton
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Most likely, the oil you drained was the factory oil. I don't know who "recommended" that oil, but I would suggest you do a search on the topic as Porsche is well known for using a unique gear oil that is manufactured to their specs, which no one in the aftermarket offers. You might be surprised at how many attempts at using aftermarket gear oils end up in our shop to be switched back to the factory fill due to shifting issues, noise, etc.
i really hope it was not original, 170000 km and i have no maintenance records for the car so i googled and came up with syn teck 75/90 . nearest Porsche shop is 5 hours away.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #9
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,197
Garage
You don't have the InterWeb where you live
I have a porsche dealer 3 miles away
I only go there on Sundays to salivate
I buy all parts on the line
All my reading here influenced me to use factory stuff
Drill the hole in plate it makes it so easy
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
i really hope it was not original, 170000 km and i have no maintenance records for the car so i googled and came up with syn teck 75/90 . nearest Porsche shop is 5 hours away.
Then buy it online or over the phone. Sunset Porsche is one of the cheapest sources/
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,022
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Most likely, the oil you drained was the factory oil. I don't know who "recommended" that oil, but I would suggest you do a search on the topic as Porsche is well known for using a unique gear oil that is manufactured to their specs, which no one in the aftermarket offers. You might be surprised at how many attempts at using aftermarket gear oils end up in our shop to be switched back to the factory fill due to shifting issues, noise, etc.
+1 Been there, done that and JFP is 100% right on this one. In the case of Porsche manual transmission fluid, as they say, there is no substitute.

OP, you may want to see if Porsche of Halifax will ship you the OEM fluid.

Last edited by paulofto; 04-17-2017 at 05:51 AM.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tannersville PA
Posts: 471
I found the Porsche stuff on Ebay....99.00 for 3 bottles shipped. That was as cheap as I coud find. Seemed to be a good value.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 99
3 bottles of redline 75w90ns. Gearbox worked great after that.
__________________
2001 Boxster S (SOLD)
1991 Nissan Silvia "K"(Forgotten somewhere in Canada)
1989 240sx (Track car)
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: cape breton
Posts: 65
is red line 75w90ns the actual porsche brand? if it is i will order some.

skid plate hole is done so it's not like a lot of work to swap oil.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page