986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   transmisson oil weights? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66182-transmisson-oil-weights.html)

madmac 04-16-2017 04:07 AM

transmisson oil weights?

i changed my transmission oil to the recommended syn-tech 75/90, but now it is stiff in the mornings until it gets warmed up. is there a lighter option?

i have no idea what fluid was in it in the first place, or miles on it, but it was smooth shifting regardless of temperature.

Traco 04-16-2017 05:57 AM

transmisson oil weights?

Give it a bit of time. I just did mine with 75/90 but 1-2 is a pain when it's cold. However when warm it's much better and crisper with the new fill. Researching the oils I did see some comments where new oils can take some miles to settle down and that shifts can be heavy untill then. Like it needs to get mixed and beaten around a bit so that it's gets to its regular parameters. No clue about the science but give it a few hundred miles before you change just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JFP in PA 04-16-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmac (Post 533972)
i changed my transmission oil to the recommended syn-tech 75/90, but now it is stiff in the mornings until it gets warmed up. is there a lighter option?

i have no idea what fluid was in it in the first place, or miles on it, but it was smooth shifting regardless of temperature.

Most likely, the oil you drained was the factory oil. I don't know who "recommended" that oil, but I would suggest you do a search on the topic as Porsche is well known for using a unique gear oil that is manufactured to their specs, which no one in the aftermarket offers. You might be surprised at how many attempts at using aftermarket gear oils end up in our shop to be switched back to the factory fill due to shifting issues, noise, etc.

Gelbster 04-16-2017 07:54 AM

One such oil-spec meddling fool was me.
In cahoots with a very smart German expert on the Forum , I was convinced we could find a better/cheaper oil for the 6 speed . Impressed by our geekish knowledge of the most obscure aspects of tribology we conducted an Internet research project of epic proportions.
Result - zero.
The Porsche spec was the best and in view of the probable repercussions,using substitutes like I almost did - may have been very expensive.
You will always find snake oil anecdotes about 'superior' substitutes. But 2 of us learned to hang back and let other fools go first,second,.......
And I hate paying the Porsche tax - except when it is worth it.
And yes, cough , I am rebuilding a 6 speed now .
The 5 speed and Tip may be more forgiving?

JFP in PA 04-16-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 534002)
One such oil-spec meddling fool was me.
In cahoots with a very smart German expert on the Forum , I was convinced we could find a better/cheaper oil for the 6 speed . Impressed by our geekish knowledge of the most obscure aspects of tribology we conducted an Internet research project of epic proportions.
Result - zero.
The Porsche spec was the best and in view of the probable repercussions,using substitutes like I almost did - may have been very expensive.
You will always find snake oil anecdotes about 'superior' substitutes. But 2 of us learned to hang back and let other fools go first,second,.......
And I hate paying the Porsche tax - except when it is worth it.
And yes, cough , I am rebuilding a 6 speed now .
The 5 speed and Tip may be more forgiving?

Believe it or not, the five speed also uses a unique product that is actually different than that of the six speed, and is made by an obscure division of Shell to Porsche specs.

patssle 04-16-2017 09:14 AM

I'm pretty frugal on many things but after reading people's issues with other oils I ponied up and bought the Porsche transmission oil. Some things aren't worth messing with.

BYprodriver 04-16-2017 11:46 AM

Anyone want to buy some Swepco 201 ? Only used 5 miles. :D

madmac 04-16-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 533993)
Most likely, the oil you drained was the factory oil. I don't know who "recommended" that oil, but I would suggest you do a search on the topic as Porsche is well known for using a unique gear oil that is manufactured to their specs, which no one in the aftermarket offers. You might be surprised at how many attempts at using aftermarket gear oils end up in our shop to be switched back to the factory fill due to shifting issues, noise, etc.

i really hope it was not original, 170000 km and i have no maintenance records for the car so i googled and came up with syn teck 75/90 . nearest Porsche shop is 5 hours away.

kk2002s 04-16-2017 04:15 PM

You don't have the InterWeb where you live
I have a porsche dealer 3 miles away
I only go there on Sundays to salivate
I buy all parts on the line
All my reading here influenced me to use factory stuff
Drill the hole in plate it makes it so easy

JFP in PA 04-17-2017 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmac (Post 534047)
i really hope it was not original, 170000 km and i have no maintenance records for the car so i googled and came up with syn teck 75/90 . nearest Porsche shop is 5 hours away.

Then buy it online or over the phone. Sunset Porsche is one of the cheapest sources/

paulofto 04-17-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 533993)

+1 Been there, done that and JFP is 100% right on this one. In the case of Porsche manual transmission fluid, as they say, there is no substitute.

OP, you may want to see if Porsche of Halifax will ship you the OEM fluid.

achillies 04-17-2017 07:22 AM

I found the Porsche stuff on Ebay....99.00 for 3 bottles shipped. That was as cheap as I coud find. Seemed to be a good value.

WorkInProgressK 04-17-2017 07:31 AM

3 bottles of redline 75w90ns. Gearbox worked great after that.

madmac 04-17-2017 08:01 AM

is red line 75w90ns the actual porsche brand? if it is i will order some.

skid plate hole is done so it's not like a lot of work to swap oil.