Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Garage
Water leaks. What else is new?

Starting to get thoroughly annoyed with the design of this car. Spent 7 hours yesterday cleaning out the front and rear drains and replaced the whole carpet. I know my drip trays have some tears in them, so put the car cover on. Come home from work and the cover has blown off during a thunderstorm. Check the passenger side carpet behind the seat...wet. AARGH! What a bad design this is. How they thought relying on foam to keep water out of the interior made sense, I don't know. Somebody should fashion new trays out of carbon fibre and we can call it a day. Not one of Porsche's finer engineering moments. Here endeth the rant.

If I replace my drip trays and my drains are clear, is there anywhere else that I have to worry for leaks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

The drains must be clogged somewhere. Inside the rear deck that hides the top when down. I use nylon line to make sure they are clean from top to bottom. This is usually where the water comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
mmassey0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmassey0125 View Post
The drains must be clogged somewhere. Inside the rear deck that hides the top when down. I use nylon line to make sure they are clean from top to bottom. This is usually where the water comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Do you mean the main drain hole towards the rear of the car in the foam tray? If so, those are clear. I have a feeling there is a tear up near the hinge point for the roof, amongst other tears. The vehicle is on a slight incline meaning the water should be running to the main drains, but I think it's getting diverted by a tear further up. I ordered a new set of drip trays, so hopefully that will cure the problem.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Project Addicted

I use an air gun to blow the drains clear. I too had a read in the foam pan that we fixed with a glob of silicone.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Do you mean the main drain hole towards the rear of the car in the foam tray? If so, those are clear. I have a feeling there is a tear up near the hinge point for the roof, amongst other tears. The vehicle is on a slight incline meaning the water should be running to the main drains, but I think it's getting diverted by a tear further up. I ordered a new set of drip trays, so hopefully that will cure the problem.

the holes you are talking about are marked in red in this pic.
the drains mmassey0125 is talking about are marked with the green arrow, and are located on the clamshell channels.
a bit hard to find, but you can get to it when the top is in service position.
Attached Images

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
the holes you are talking about are marked in red in this pic.
the drains mmassey0125 is talking about are marked with the green arrow, and are located on the clamshell channels.
a bit hard to find, but you can get to it when the top is in service position.

Thanks Meir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk