Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
Water leaks. What else is new?

Starting to get thoroughly annoyed with the design of this car. Spent 7 hours yesterday cleaning out the front and rear drains and replaced the whole carpet. I know my drip trays have some tears in them, so put the car cover on. Come home from work and the cover has blown off during a thunderstorm. Check the passenger side carpet behind the seat...wet. AARGH! What a bad design this is. How they thought relying on foam to keep water out of the interior made sense, I don't know. Somebody should fashion new trays out of carbon fibre and we can call it a day. Not one of Porsche's finer engineering moments. Here endeth the rant.

If I replace my drip trays and my drains are clear, is there anywhere else that I have to worry for leaks?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 42
The drains must be clogged somewhere. Inside the rear deck that hides the top when down. I use nylon line to make sure they are clean from top to bottom. This is usually where the water comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
mmassey0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmassey0125 View Post
The drains must be clogged somewhere. Inside the rear deck that hides the top when down. I use nylon line to make sure they are clean from top to bottom. This is usually where the water comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk


Do you mean the main drain hole towards the rear of the car in the foam tray? If so, those are clear. I have a feeling there is a tear up near the hinge point for the roof, amongst other tears. The vehicle is on a slight incline meaning the water should be running to the main drains, but I think it's getting diverted by a tear further up. I ordered a new set of drip trays, so hopefully that will cure the problem.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Project Addicted
 
jcslocum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 623
I use an air gun to blow the drains clear. I too had a read in the foam pan that we fixed with a glob of silicone.
__________________
______
Jon
1966 912, 1976 911
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,581
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Do you mean the main drain hole towards the rear of the car in the foam tray? If so, those are clear. I have a feeling there is a tear up near the hinge point for the roof, amongst other tears. The vehicle is on a slight incline meaning the water should be running to the main drains, but I think it's getting diverted by a tear further up. I ordered a new set of drip trays, so hopefully that will cure the problem.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
the holes you are talking about are marked in red in this pic.
the drains mmassey0125 is talking about are marked with the green arrow, and are located on the clamshell channels.
a bit hard to find, but you can get to it when the top is in service position.
Attached Images
 
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
the holes you are talking about are marked in red in this pic.
the drains mmassey0125 is talking about are marked with the green arrow, and are located on the clamshell channels.
a bit hard to find, but you can get to it when the top is in service position.


Thanks Meir!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page