Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #1

Racing PC Games

So I randomly decided to buy a steering wheel set for my PC (Logitech MOMO), so I could do some racing on the computer. Does anyone have recommendations on good games to get? I'm looking for something with a sense of realism, not a street racing game with cops etc.. Would be especially nice to have one with the option to drive Porsche.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #2

See if you can find "Need for Speed - Porsche unleashed" by Electronic Arts. My 19 year old Midshipman has it and it looks great. He also spent a ton of time in HS playing F1, 2000 by the same manufacturer. If you like open wheel, the sim is fantastic. Both are a little older (circa 2000-2001) but still are a couple of the best driving sims I have seen. Lots of Web resources still resell these titles I'll bet. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdancd816
See if you can find "Need for Speed - Porsche unleashed" by Electronic Arts. My 19 year old Midshipman has it and it looks great. He also spent a ton of time in HS playing F1, 2000 by the same manufacturer. If you like open wheel, the sim is fantastic. Both are a little older (circa 2000-2001) but still are a couple of the best driving sims I have seen. Lots of Web resources still resell these titles I'll bet. Good luck and have fun!
I bought "Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed" for playstation from a video game place by the house for $5. It is fun, lots of different models, but the graphics are a little dated. I know it is also available for PC.

The BEST driving game is Gran Turismo for PS2. They have the Boxster and 911. I don't know if it is available for PC, but it is awesome !
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #4

I have one of those I seem to recall live for speed or something like that pC based. GT3 is pretty darn good in the difficult modes and I use to play the
F1 2002 by EA.
and of course there is Grand Prix legends which has a cult following.
Kind of retro but very difficult more sim like than arcadey.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
I bought "Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed" for playstation from a video game place by the house for $5. It is fun, lots of different models, but the graphics are a little dated. I know it is also available for PC.

The BEST driving game is Gran Turismo for PS2. They have the Boxster and 911. I don't know if it is available for PC, but it is awesome !
Take it back,Forza Motorsports is the best racing game ever hands down. It has almost every 100% Porsche imaginable,993 GT2,996 GT3,Carrera GT,356,Boxster,73' RS,Porsche LMP,and the best part,you can put a GT2 engine in a Boxster(or a Carrera engine,or you can supercharge the "S" engine).......MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA there are so many options.
But if you want more then a variety or Porsches no problem,there a butt load of other cars and manufacturers. Man I sound like a nerd.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #6

Alright, you made me google "Forza Motorsports" since I never heard of it.

Only available for X-Box. Guess I will have to rent one and compare...

Nick
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:09 AM   #7

I'm still running on F12k2. I wish they'd come out with an update.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #8

Forza rules. It was super hard but felt rewarding when you got something right. I'm sure like me you tricked out the Boxster with a GT2 engine and gave it like 600 HP? That little baby could dust an Enzo.

I was a little disappointed with Project Gotham 3. I thought it was too easy compared to 1 and 2 (which was easy compared to 1) and did not focus enough on the "style" part of the game which was supposed to be its hallmark. Also, I thought the style challenges were simple. I beat most of them on Gold on the first try.

Oh well, Forza 2 for the 360 will be out this holiday season. Cross your fingers.

Anybody played the "Need for Speed: Unlimited" Demo. Its awesome. They are trying to make a MMO game for driving. The entire island of Oahu is mapped out with over 1000 unique miles of road.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #9

THe Forza game was in an issue of Popular mechanics where they took a pro driver around Road Atlanta and then had him drive the game and he said it was the best he's ever seen. He was posting very similar lap times as a "pro gamer" so it was interesting.
Too bad you just can't go somewhere to play these game for an hour. Spending
$400 on a console, game and wheel is crazy. That's two month's worth of autocross or a weekend at the track. I gurantee you the game will not be as much fun.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #10

But you can play over and over, especially when there's three feet of snow outside
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #11

I have the same MOMO steering wheel for my PC and have the same question. Forza is great for the Xbox and Gran Turismo is great for PS2.

I played a game call TOCA Racing Simulation on my Xbox and is even more realistic than Forza. I know that they make one for the PC, but no Porsche in the car lineup.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #12

TOCA is a better sim than Forza?
really? is TOCA a PS2 title?
I read that Forza had the best whatever you call it model. of any
racing sim, better than GT3.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #13

Great video... Gran Turismo 4 vs real life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTQijdc3SI&search=top%20gear%20nsx

BTW: I easily beat Jeremy's time on GT4 in the car on that track.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Last edited by Porschekid; 06-28-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #14

Thanks for all the input. So far I ordered GTR FIA Racing which seems to be rated highly. I'll see how that goes.

Also came across a preview for a game that is coming out later this year that looks really cool. They actually mapped out the whole island of Oahu, just like the real thing and you can challenge people online to races. Here is the link:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/testdriveunlimited/news.html?sid=6146102&mode=previews

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to yfei
"nfs Pu"

"Need for speed - Porsche Unleashed" is my favorite racing game. It leads me to be a real porsche owner of boxster (although my favorite cars in the game are 1995 GT, and 1998 GT1).
The graphics is very nice, the physics is the most realistic of all the 'Need for Speed' games. I bought a pack of need for speed 3 ~ 6 for $20 (Porsche Unleashed is need for speed 5). Right now in Fry's and best buy there is a pack of need for speed 4 ~ 7 also for $20.
And the musics in this game are excellent (porsche sound)! I burned the sound tracks to CD and play in my car every day.

Forza is rated as the most physics correct racing game. but Xbox and xbox 360 have no force feedback wheels. Don't know what microsoft is thinking... Both PC and PS2 have force feedback wheels.
Bose Audio System

Last edited by yfei; 06-28-2006 at 05:47 PM.
yfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 AM   #16

GTR is really good, although it's one of those sims where it seems like they really cranked up the "driving on ice" factor to make people believe that it's accurate. My favorite is "Live for Speed", which is a physics-based sim and I think approximates the feeling of driving a car about as well as anything else on the market. There's a demo at...

www.liveforspeed.net/

and then you just pay for a license to unlock it if you like it. I would definitely recommend it and there's a "911-like" rear engined car, though none of the cars in the game, with the exception of the BMW F1 car are officially licensed.

ebarker9 is offline   Reply With Quote