Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
In regards to the mid-engined Corvette, I think that it will be underwhelming.

GM, like Porsche and the 911, has had 50 years to evolve and perfect the Corvette's front-engine configuration. I doubt that they have the engineering talent to create a world-class mid-engined sports car straight out of the box. Maybe they'll prove me wrong?

On the other hand, Porsche has had a 20-year head start with the Boxster/Cayman and the mid-engined 911 is already designed and being tested: http://986forum.com/forums/zuffenhausen-lounge-happy-hour-after-17-00-somewhere/65197-pics-911rsr-mid-engine.html
Only argument against that would be the Corvair. It was far superior to the VWs of the time but not quite the Porsche but it was not meant to compete with that at 1/3rd of the price. It got a bad rep but particularly the 2nd gen was actually a pretty good car and one of GMs most innovative and a big departure from standard American fare.
One thing I agree with is that domestic manufacturers can't seem to make a car that feels like a German car or most Euro cars. The reason for that is that most Corvettes are sold in automatic to a 60+ year old guy who will never see a track session so why build it for that when he will just complain about how bumpy it already rides. The said consumer also doesn't care that it clunks when you shut the doors and just could not understand what the difference is in a solid built car. Most magazines always compare the Vette to Euro sports cars but I just don't see them being for the same market. The buyers of said cars are usually 2 completely different people and not too many cross over to the other side. Just because a car has 2 seats (practical seats) and goes around a track at comparable times does not mean it was intended for the same market. I have a feeling that the mid engine Vette will be more of a Viper, Ford GT type car while the Vette goes on in traditional form.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #2

I'm excited to see GM moving forward with a mid-engined Corvette. Considering the shrinking market for sports cars (have you seen recent Boxster and Cayman sales figures) I am glad any manufacturer is willing to spend money on developing a mid-engined car.

Yes it will be American and not German. Each has there pros and cons and I'm not worried about GM not being able to engineer a great car if they put there minds to it. I personally prefer German cars but I'm just glad someone is willing to spend the resources to do it a car like this. Better then another crossover vehicle.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote