Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Top open light

Hello, I had some convertible top problems which I maid some adjustments to and now it lays down straight and closes fine again but the light on the dash still stays on. How do I remedy this? Thanks in advance.!!

SmokinCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Likely that the little microswitch up where the top latch inserts in the middle is stuck. Try fiddling with it with your pinky to see if you can get it unstuck. If so, then remove to clean and reinstall.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Electronic Contact Cleaner squirted inside the switch/at the finger lever ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #4

Top is prob not alligned properly on both sides or it could be the top relay. I had both issues, in replaced the top relay with a used unit and realigned the top and I was good to go. Where in Florida are you located? I'm in Miami, if I can lend a hand let me know, I learned a bit about the top out of need.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
I am No. 1348

Garage
Seems like the Florida contingent on this thread..I'm in Tampa if anybody is around.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Thanks guys..from St. Augustine. I thought I had the top going up and down well but today it was stubborn. The clamshell opened about a foot and stopped. After hitting the button a few times it went back down and that's mostly how I keep it since it a pleasure ride car. There was a clicking noise going on like a gear missing click,click,click. I seen used relays on ebay but don't want to spend if I don't need it. Thanks again for the kind help.
SmokinCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
SmokinCrow; How ya doing on this top issue? Mine was doing the same thing. I researched the whole thing and checked every part of the entire top mechanism. I read everything, checked all the forums, read all the books, saw the videos, the whole 9 yards. I disconnected the top levers and raised and lowered it manually for about 6 months while I was doing all the research. I finally narrowed it down to the convertible top transmission. The are about $700 new. So I removed it and dissembled it on my bench. There was a plastic gear in there that was broken. I could not find the gear anywhere so I continued to look for a used transmission on e-bay. Finally found one a couple of weeks ago for about $100. I bought it, replaced it yesterday and I'm as good a new. Be advised, the price goes up on those things in the summer. If you are going to replace it start looking now. If you have any questions let me know. I'm pretty much experienced on the whole deal now.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
SmokinCrow; How ya doing on this top issue? Mine was doing the same thing. I researched the whole thing and checked every part of the entire top mechanism. I read everything, checked all the forums, read all the books, saw the videos, the whole 9 yards. I disconnected the top levers and raised and lowered it manually for about 6 months while I was doing all the research. I finally narrowed it down to the convertible top transmission. The are about $700 new. So I removed it and dissembled it on my bench. There was a plastic gear in there that was broken. I could not find the gear anywhere so I continued to look for a used transmission on e-bay. Finally found one a couple of weeks ago for about $100. I bought it, replaced it yesterday and I'm as good a new. Be advised, the price goes up on those things in the summer. If you are going to replace it start looking now. If you have any questions let me know. I'm pretty much experienced on the whole deal now.

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #9

If you hear the clicking it could be the transmission. See from what side it's coming from and the exact position to confirm, the transmissions are hidden on both sides of the car where the "V" lever (moving the top and clamshell) is connected to the chassis. If it's coming from there it might be one of the nylon gears inside that broke a tooth or is cracked. To be sure you have to open it. It's not complicated just takes a bit of patience. There are guides on pelican parts on how to get to it. If the gear is toast you have 3 options: buy a new transmission for 700$, buy a used transmission from our resident parts guy Woody (user itsnotanova) or buy aftermarket gears that can be replaced in your transmission. They are made of steel or something similar and will never break but that's prob not a good idea because the oem ones are meant to break instead of bending something else on the mechanism. I think they are about 100$. I'd just buy a used transmission and replace it.. it's unlikely that it will break again for the lifetime of the car and even if it does you have to brake a lot before you spend 700$, the price of a new one

Good luck and let us know if we can help!

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote