Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

Is my coolant tank empty?

Hi,

I just got my car back from the mechanic last week and an engine overhaul was apparently performed.

I was just checking my coolant blue bottle cap for mayo and I notice the coolant tank to be empty.

What can I top up with? Is distilled water OK?

I got this car recently and have no experiences with cars before... The min/max level outside the tank doesn't help as the window is all hazed out..

The tank looks really empty.

I wonder if the coolant is leaking?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

perspectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
engine overhaul was apparently performed.
How can you not be sure? An engine overhaul cost thousands!

Yes, your coolant tank is empty, and yes you can use distilled water, it won't hurt anything unless you live in a really cold area.

Ask the guy who worked on the car about what he did!
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #3

You may have an air pocket in the cooling system - be very careful not to overheat the engine with this loss of coolant..... How does your oil level look - any indication of water in coolant (milk shake), indicating an internal coolant leak.

1) Try cleaning the inside of the tank using a rag dipped in vinegar - try a screwdriver if your fingers are short - just enough so you can see the level
2)Top the coolant up with distilled water.

3) Under the black plastic cover in your photo, you will find an expansion valve with s chrome D shaped ring - lift the ring up into the vertical position (that's open) and drive your car for 3 - 4 days to expel any trapped air. Check the coolant level daily until it stabilises.

4) Return D ring to its close position.

5) If the level still goes down, you have a leak - return it to your mechanic pronto.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

Garage
The only other comment that might help a newbie is that even if the tank is hazy, you should be able to see fluid / non fluid line when looking at the tank when shining light from the rear trunk. If not, you definitely need to add distilled water asap & follow instructions provided here. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

engine overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post

Hi,

I just got my car back from the mechanic last week and an engine overhaul was apparently performed.

I was just checking my coolant blue bottle cap for mayo and I notice the coolant tank to be empty.

What can I top up with? Is distilled water OK?

I got this car recently and have no experiences with cars before... The min/max level outside the tank doesn't help as the window is all hazed out..

The tank looks really empty.

I wonder if the coolant is leaking?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
a engine overhaul is major think, and the description is a little vague. I would insist on seeing a parts list and what as done
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Project Addicted

Pull the trunk carpet up under the tank and see if it's wet. These tanks will fail and leak into the trunk.

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote