Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrebot2 View Post

Interior quality, far ahead, the 986 interior sucked in comparison. 987S interior is like a 911
Odd, the 986 interior is identical to the 911 interior of the same model year. The 987 interiors are very different from the same model year 911. 2005 was the year the 911 and Boxster deviated on so many ways. Prior to that they were basically identical from the seats forward to the front bumper other that the headlights and bumper cover.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
A bone stock 986, those kept in good condition, somehow doesn't look like a chick car at all. Soft maybe, but certainly not definitive chicky. Not exactly sure how to put this into words. Have a look at forum member Chuck's 986 for instance, pictures speaks louder I guess.

Yea had a bike crash. Well, I've crashed more often than as far as I can remember but let's say this one was a bit different lolll Landed right on my shoulder at over 100mph (highside). Thankfully I do not remember anything other than seeing my bike getting smaller and smaller under me... literally lost conscious on the impact. (yup, we are done racing, sad thing)

No clue what's a 'highside'? , here goes a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bOZL9xOlA
I'm familiar (not on a first name basis, thank god), low sides are much better.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #23
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
@Nine8six- I used to ride in college in a state where they don't require you to wear helmets. Thankfully, I never got into any accidents, but crazy now that I think about it. Glad you are ok and are recovering.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yep. Totally looks like a chick car.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #25

"Thankfully I do not remember anything other than seeing my bike getting smaller and smaller under me... literally lost conscious on the impact."

We're blessed that we're wired so that we don't remember those really bad things. I had four accidents in six years. Two I don't remember. Two I do - they just required screws in shoulders. I was 59 for the first. Do that stuff when you're young. There came a point for me where healing pain/time became unacceptable. My biggest hope is that one day the nerves below my knees will reconnect so I can feel the bottoms of my feet again.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
I'm familiar (not on a first name basis, thank god), low sides are much better.
ah! so you are a rider. You are also flying airplane (pilot), race bikes, drive sport/convertible cars, and live under the sun all year long. Interesting fellas on this forum I tell ya... really missed this place

Boxtaboy, helmet or not, any direct head hit above 20mph will send you to the nearest ICU where you'll wake up 11.5hrs post accident with a F N plastic tube running inside your dick. Medical insurance saved me in my case, not the helmet particularly lolll
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #27

Sorry to hear about your accident Fred. Sounds like you are lucky to be alive. A highside at 100 mph is pretty serious. I too ride (Daytona 675) and have done my own highside's in the past. No fun that's for sure.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
My biggest hope is that one day the nerves below my knees will reconnect so I can feel the bottoms of my feet again.
Ouch. Depending on the lesion, nerves do/should reconnects (1mm per week if what I've read before is correct). Takes time, years in many cases but it does come back. Guess that is the ultimate patience test. Sorry to hear bud :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident Fred. Sounds like you are lucky to be alive. A highside at 100 mph is pretty serious. I too ride (Daytona 675) and have done my own highside's in the past. No fun that's for sure.
Thanks brother. That 675 is ultralight, stay safe man
Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yep. Totally looks like a chick car.

Well, it kinda does in white.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm just glad it's not silver!

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrebot2 View Post
Looks, I like the look much better. Old one looked like a chick car. Sorry but the way I felt about it.

Ride quality

Interior quality, far ahead, the 986 interior sucked in comparison. 987S interior is like a 911

Rims are much nicer, I have the 19s. I hated the twisty wheels on my 02.

I did like the color of my old car and the way it handled, but this 987s is better in just about every way. Love the sleeker look

Interesting break down, I've been trying to gauge just how the 987.1 is better as they're getting very affordable.

However you definitely seem to have different visual tastes then myself, the 987 rims look far too "functional" in my opinion, the old twists elicit way more emotion.

Also as others have noted the interior of the 986 is that of the 911 so to say an interior is more 911 is quite odd.

I like the interior look though on the 987 and the tail lights much better, but have heard of issues with interior quality.

Nice to hear that the driving experience is better though!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #32

Ok, Ok, I see a lot of nice 986s, I just like the 987s a lot better. After, I hope to upgrade to a 981s.

--2002 Boxster S 6 speed, Meridian Silver / Cinnamon - SOLD
jrebot2 is offline   Reply With Quote