Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 803
How long does it take your car to warm up?

Guys,
I've search, but none of the threads I found touch upon this specifically.

Basically, my 986 takes bloody forever to warm up. In about 45 degree weather, it takes the car over 10 miles for coolant to get to 180 degrees. For reference, my 08 911 Turbo has oil at 180 before the boxster even gets its coolant to 180. Same story with my 993TT.

I'm wondering if I have a lower temp thermostat or a fan stuck on or something. No codes or fan noise when there shouldn't be. Its not a big deal and I get that the cooling system is pretty large for a tiny little 2.5L, but its kind of annoying to wait 15 minutes before being able to give the car any appreciable load and rpm.

Is this typical or should I continue to investigate?

Thanks.

Quadcammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
A lower temperature thermostat will have absolutely no impact on how fast or slow an engine heats up from cold start, that is a function of other factors. And as your turbo has an entirely different engine in it, I would not be surprised it is different.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
A lower temperature thermostat will have absolutely no impact on how fast or slow an engine heats up from cold start, that is a function of other factors. And as your turbo has an entirely different engine in it, I would not be surprised it is different.
well, if the thermostat opens at 160, it will take longer to get to 180 than if it opened at 180.

So is this a normal thing?

Pretty much every other car I own, including air cooled and water cooled porsches warm up much faster. Granted they have different larger engines, but given EPA regulations, it seems odd to me that this car would take so damn long to warm up.
Quadcammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
In this cold weather (it was 16F this morning), it took me about 15 minutes to get the engine up to 180 at the instrument panel. Sounds about right.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 803
thanks for your input.

definitely a chilly morning today...brrr
Quadcammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,022
Garage
Sounds about right. In summer, it warms up quick, but in this 20 degree weather, it takes a good 10-15 minutes.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LB, Germany
Posts: 1,340
How old is your thermostat and water pump?

I noticed that my car warms up much faster since i've replaced thermostat, water pump and cooling fluid (all were OEM from factory - so 13 years old). I think the thermostates get fatigue and stay longer open.

I did go with a normal temperature thermostat and an water pump with a metal impeller. Yes everybody hates me now, but i know what i'm doing and why i've done it. Also i know that there are different metal impeller water pumps for different engines. So just hate me.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 12-16-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
well, if the thermostat opens at 160, it will take longer to get to 180 than if it opened at 180.

So is this a normal thing?

Pretty much every other car I own, including air cooled and water cooled porsches warm up much faster. Granted they have different larger engines, but given EPA regulations, it seems odd to me that this car would take so damn long to warm up.
Point is that it will get to 160F in the same time as any other thermostat that opens at any higher temperature than 160F.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Point is that it will get to 160F in the same time as any other thermostat that opens at any higher temperature than 160F.
yeah that i know
Quadcammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
2003 Base 5-speed
 
grc0456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stoneham, MA
Posts: 894
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
How old is your thermostat and water pump?

I noticed that my car warms up much faster since i've replaced thermostat, water pump and cooling fluid (all were OEM from factory - so 13 years old). I think the thermostates get fatigue and stay longer open.

I did go with a normal temperature thermostat and an water pump with a metal impeller. Yes everybody hates me now, but i know what i'm doing and why i've done it. Also i know that there are different metal impeller water pumps for different engines. So just hate me.

Regards, Markus


Not to rile the board up, Markus, but what are thoughts surrounding this choice?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
How old is your thermostat and water pump?

I noticed that my car warms up much faster since i've replaced thermostat, water pump and cooling fluid (all were OEM from factory - so 13 years old). I think the thermostates get fatigue and stay longer open.

Regards, Markus
+1.
I consider 15 minutes is too long for water temp to reach "normal" operating temp even at 40 deg. Below freezing temp will affect but not at 40 deg temp. Your primary culprit is the thermostat. It has two primary function.
1. Reach normal operating temp as quickly as possible by remaining closed.
2. Maintain normal operating temps by opening or closing coolant flow.

I suspect your thermostat to be partially stuck open when it's supposed to be fully closed.
__________________
2008 Boxster S PDE2
02 Boxster S Blk on Blk(Stock for the Wife)
88 turbo S (My Toy) slightly modified
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Not to rile the board up, Markus, but what are thoughts surrounding this choice?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Everyone gets to make choices, and sometimes has to live with the outcome of those choices.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
yeah that i know
And long before the coolant reaches 160F, the oil is showing temperature and the car is blowing heat.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
And long before the coolant reaches 160F, the oil is showing temperature and the car is blowing heat.
ok, but that has what to do with the topic at hand?
Quadcammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
ok, but that has what to do with the topic at hand?
It refers to your original comment about your 911 getting oil temperature's up before it hits 180 on the coolant.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LB, Germany
Posts: 1,340
Haha, i knew it.

@grc0456: i sent you a pn.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #17
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,295
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Guys,
I've search, but none of the threads I found touch upon this specifically.

Basically, my 986 takes bloody forever to warm up. In about 45 degree weather, it takes the car over 10 miles for coolant to get to 180 degrees. For reference, my 08 911 Turbo has oil at 180 before the boxster even gets its coolant to 180. Same story with my 993TT.

I'm wondering if I have a lower temp thermostat or a fan stuck on or something. No codes or fan noise when there shouldn't be. Its not a big deal and I get that the cooling system is pretty large for a tiny little 2.5L, but its kind of annoying to wait 15 minutes before being able to give the car any appreciable load and rpm.

Is this typical or should I continue to investigate?

Thanks.
Your 986 doesn't have "warmup" catalytic converters or turbo's which blow heated air into the engine.
__________________
2000 S Speed Yellow LN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle&,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. Fabspeedsport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Porsche9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,795
My Boxster and Carrera both take about 3 miles for the water temp to get to 180 on a cool morning. 10 miles seems really long.
__________________
03 Carrera
02 Boxster S Guards Red, black interior with matching hardtop
89 Carrera 4
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fountain Hills
Posts: 103
In Az (Phoenix area) lately I start the car in the garage about 2 minutes before I back out. Its then up to 180 degree within 10 minutes (total time) and less than 5 miles. I'll give you more science in a few days.
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 803
sounds like I have a stuck thermostat.

No big deal, I'll swap that and the water pump after it comes out of winter storage.

Quadcammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page