Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #1

How long does it take your car to warm up?

Guys,
I've search, but none of the threads I found touch upon this specifically.

Basically, my 986 takes bloody forever to warm up. In about 45 degree weather, it takes the car over 10 miles for coolant to get to 180 degrees. For reference, my 08 911 Turbo has oil at 180 before the boxster even gets its coolant to 180. Same story with my 993TT.

I'm wondering if I have a lower temp thermostat or a fan stuck on or something. No codes or fan noise when there shouldn't be. Its not a big deal and I get that the cooling system is pretty large for a tiny little 2.5L, but its kind of annoying to wait 15 minutes before being able to give the car any appreciable load and rpm.

Is this typical or should I continue to investigate?

Thanks.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

A lower temperature thermostat will have absolutely no impact on how fast or slow an engine heats up from cold start, that is a function of other factors. And as your turbo has an entirely different engine in it, I would not be surprised it is different.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
A lower temperature thermostat will have absolutely no impact on how fast or slow an engine heats up from cold start, that is a function of other factors. And as your turbo has an entirely different engine in it, I would not be surprised it is different.
well, if the thermostat opens at 160, it will take longer to get to 180 than if it opened at 180.

So is this a normal thing?

Pretty much every other car I own, including air cooled and water cooled porsches warm up much faster. Granted they have different larger engines, but given EPA regulations, it seems odd to me that this car would take so damn long to warm up.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
In this cold weather (it was 16F this morning), it took me about 15 minutes to get the engine up to 180 at the instrument panel. Sounds about right.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

thanks for your input.

definitely a chilly morning today...brrr
Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Sounds about right. In summer, it warms up quick, but in this 20 degree weather, it takes a good 10-15 minutes.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #7

How old is your thermostat and water pump?

I noticed that my car warms up much faster since i've replaced thermostat, water pump and cooling fluid (all were OEM from factory - so 13 years old). I think the thermostates get fatigue and stay longer open.

I did go with a normal temperature thermostat and an water pump with a metal impeller. Yes everybody hates me now, but i know what i'm doing and why i've done it. Also i know that there are different metal impeller water pumps for different engines. So just hate me.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 12-16-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
well, if the thermostat opens at 160, it will take longer to get to 180 than if it opened at 180.

So is this a normal thing?

Pretty much every other car I own, including air cooled and water cooled porsches warm up much faster. Granted they have different larger engines, but given EPA regulations, it seems odd to me that this car would take so damn long to warm up.
Point is that it will get to 160F in the same time as any other thermostat that opens at any higher temperature than 160F.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Point is that it will get to 160F in the same time as any other thermostat that opens at any higher temperature than 160F.
yeah that i know
Old 12-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post

I noticed that my car warms up much faster since i've replaced thermostat, water pump and cooling fluid (all were OEM from factory - so 13 years old). I think the thermostates get fatigue and stay longer open.

I did go with a normal temperature thermostat and an water pump with a metal impeller. Yes everybody hates me now, but i know what i'm doing and why i've done it. Also i know that there are different metal impeller water pumps for different engines. So just hate me.

Regards, Markus

Not to rile the board up, Markus, but what are thoughts surrounding this choice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post

Regards, Markus
+1.
I consider 15 minutes is too long for water temp to reach "normal" operating temp even at 40 deg. Below freezing temp will affect but not at 40 deg temp. Your primary culprit is the thermostat. It has two primary function.
1. Reach normal operating temp as quickly as possible by remaining closed.
2. Maintain normal operating temps by opening or closing coolant flow.

I suspect your thermostat to be partially stuck open when it's supposed to be fully closed.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Not to rile the board up, Markus, but what are thoughts surrounding this choice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Everyone gets to make choices, and sometimes has to live with the outcome of those choices.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
yeah that i know
And long before the coolant reaches 160F, the oil is showing temperature and the car is blowing heat.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
And long before the coolant reaches 160F, the oil is showing temperature and the car is blowing heat.
ok, but that has what to do with the topic at hand?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
ok, but that has what to do with the topic at hand?
It refers to your original comment about your 911 getting oil temperature's up before it hits 180 on the coolant.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #16

Haha, i knew it.

@grc0456: i sent you a pn.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Guys,
I've search, but none of the threads I found touch upon this specifically.

Basically, my 986 takes bloody forever to warm up. In about 45 degree weather, it takes the car over 10 miles for coolant to get to 180 degrees. For reference, my 08 911 Turbo has oil at 180 before the boxster even gets its coolant to 180. Same story with my 993TT.

I'm wondering if I have a lower temp thermostat or a fan stuck on or something. No codes or fan noise when there shouldn't be. Its not a big deal and I get that the cooling system is pretty large for a tiny little 2.5L, but its kind of annoying to wait 15 minutes before being able to give the car any appreciable load and rpm.

Is this typical or should I continue to investigate?

Thanks.
Your 986 doesn't have "warmup" catalytic converters or turbo's which blow heated air into the engine.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #18

My Boxster and Carrera both take about 3 miles for the water temp to get to 180 on a cool morning. 10 miles seems really long.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #19

In Az (Phoenix area) lately I start the car in the garage about 2 minutes before I back out. Its then up to 180 degree within 10 minutes (total time) and less than 5 miles. I'll give you more science in a few days.
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #20

sounds like I have a stuck thermostat.

No big deal, I'll swap that and the water pump after it comes out of winter storage.