Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

CEL And Trouble Starting

First off I want to say I have searched and read the other threads specifically with these codes. They all suggest multiple possible issues. Based on the chain of events I am hoping to identify the issue specifically but I wanted the advice of others before I spend time and money trouble shooting.

A week ago I got P0440 Evap system code. I got this code about two years ago, replaced the gas cap and have not had an issue since. Since I know the cap was replaced recently and showed no signs of wear I suspected a larger issue. I cleared the CEL a couple of times this week and every time it came back on with the same code after 20-30 miles.

Friday I went to get gas and after filling up the car did not want to start. After about 5 attempts I finally got it to fire up, drove to work about 20 miles. It drives fine under power and feels normal other than a rough idle.

When I got to work I had three new different codes
P0446
P1130
P1128

My thinking it that since all these codes appeared after filling it up with gas its probably the fuel filler vent/bleeder valve possibly stuck open. Is that logical or do you think that's coincidence?

I replaced the MAF when I bought the car about 5 years ago, I was thinking of cleaning it and seeing if that fixed the issue at least temporarily. I think I was a cheap ass at the time and did not get OEM. Could that be the issue? Also AOS was replaced about two years ago (OEM).

Sorry I know this has been addressed before I was really wondering if anyone thought the codes going off immediately after refueling was a likely symptom of the fuel filler vent bleeder.

It cold and i'm broke so I want to be as purposeful as possible with my time/money

As always any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Most likely purge line/valve plugged. Blow out with compressed air.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

The only thing you can do is start with the simple/obvious and work your way thru the codes.

P0446 EVAP Canister Shutoff Valve (Function) - Below Lower Limit
P1128 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold
P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold

From the above, I'd start with checking the Evap canister shutoff valve (purge valve) and then go from there.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Most likely purge line/valve plugged. Blow out with compressed air.
Which one is the purge line?

Is there way to test to vale without buying a new one?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Lines should be blown out with compressed air and valves tested before buying new. Google the p0446 code...tons of info out there.

Good info here - Replacing the Gas/Fuel Door Actuator - Carrera (996) - Common Fixes and Repairs - RennTech.org Community

And here - http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/106-FUEL-Replacing_Your_Fuel_Line_Vent_Valve/106-FUEL-Replacing_Your_Fuel_Line_Vent_Valve.htm

Last edited by particlewave; 12-11-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Project Addicted

P 1130 & 1128 are codes for a lean condition at idle. This could contribute to the hard start you have been having. I have just been working on a hard start issue for a few months and finally solved with with a new battery and a MAF change to the right one for the early 2000 car. Lean condition could be fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter or fuel pump failure. Time to try to diagnose what it might be.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
JC - Combined with the 0446, the lean condition can be traced to the EVAP system. This is further corroborated by the hard start after fueling issue...dead giveaway (also EVAP related).

P0446 is the key.

Quote:
P0446 indicates that there is a problem with the activated charcoal filter / tank vent system. This is causing the mixture problems leading to the 1128/1130 codes. Possible causes for the 0446 code include:
- Purge air line plugged
- Tank vent stuck in the open state (vacuum continuously enters the tank system from the intake pipe)
- Activated charcoal filter shutoff valve is plugged/stuck in closed state
- Flow resistance of the activated charcoal filter is too high (filter deformed/plugged)
- Pressure sensor closes incorrectly (polarity reversal)
The factory manuals have a diagnosis procedure to determine and remedy the cause.
-Todd

Last edited by particlewave; 12-11-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
JC - Combined with the 0446, the lean condition can be traced to the EVAP system. This is further corroborated by the hard start after fueling issue...dead giveaway (also EVAP related).

P0446 is the key.
Just a quick follow up for anyone using the search function later. Ended up taking the car to the dealer and exploiting employee labor rates one last time. The technician determined it was the purge valve and replaced it. Car has been running perfectly since with no CEL

To be fair I don't know if he tried compressed air but at $36 an hour I was happy with the repair being done for $225 part and labor.