Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

Exclamation Boxter re-birth, No start issue

Hello, I am new to this page.

I am the proud new owner of a 2001 boxter 2.7-
This car was left in a garage for 2 years and used as a storage shelf. I am trying to bring it back to life.

The car was dead with no battery, flat tires and an inch of dust. after cleaning it up and installing a new battery I have been able to turn the key some of the time and get all power to the car lights, dash, doors trunk ext. The issue is (YEP) no start or crank.

I did the start relay bypass and was able to get the engine to crank clean over and over. (Without) the bypass I have nothing but lights on the dash.... fuel pump was also bypassed to test and the fuel pump and that works as well.

Is this an issue with the immobilizer or computer or???

The key remote also will not open doors or function other then red light flash on remote,

Any help would be great ...

Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
When you crank it with the start lock relay bypassed, does the tach needle move? Does the key have the transponder pill inside? Have you looked at the immobilizer under the seat and checked it's fuse and connections for signs of water or rust/corrosion?

Last edited by particlewave; 12-07-2016 at 07:38 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

Yes, the tach does move but just a half inch as the engine turns over..Key does have a pill like transponder within it. And the imb box under their seat looks great. No water damage or issues with wires. Fuse is a ok., thank you for the reply and help..
Old 12-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Generally, when the start lock relay is locking out the starter, it means that the immobilizers start parameters are not being met (transponder, clutch micro switch). The tach moving means that the crank position sensor is good. Don't forget to pump out the fuel and get some fresh stuff in there.

Sounds like an immobilizer issue to me. Try some electrical contact cleaner on the immobilizer connectors and leave it to set overnight. If the fuel is old, that may be what's keeping it from firing with the starter relay bypassed, but you do have other issues.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Ok, I will take a look and replace the fuel also clean connections on the imb box.. Thank you
Old 12-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No problem. Also verify the clutch switch is working (assuming it's a manual).

A bad ignition switch can cause all kinds of weird electrical gremlins, though I doubt that's your issue. At around $20, it would be good to replace it just so it's eliminated. You'll need a new one sooner or later, anyway.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

Ignition switch replaced yesterday and clutch switch seems to be working fine. I will check fuel and clean box tomorrow after work.. Thanks again for the help. I will let you know if it works
Old 12-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #8

"I have been able to turn the key some of the time"

I don't have any advice for you sorry, but this sentence seems worth exploring.

What happens the times that you can't turn the key - it just sort of jambs at the point where you have dash light on, but won't let you turn further to the point where it should crank? Is this also a function of the immobiliser?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
When I changed my battery out a couple weeks ago, the starter would run, but wouldn't turn the car over. I then used my key remote to lock and then unlock the car, and then the car would allow the engine to start. It sounds like your key is not linked up to the immobilizer, and that is preventing the car to turn over. I think if you get the key to communicate with the car, you will be able to start the car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
Project Addicted

Raybo, you should use Deoxit on the Imob plugs and any other electroninc items. It;s $$$ but is a very cleaner and corrosion prevention.

The no crank is the symptom of the root cause, if it's the immob, you can make it crank but you will get no spark or fuel injection pulse and it will obviously never start. Yank the immob box from under the seat and take the cover off to inspect for corrosion and bad solder joints. This are getting wet is very very common.

Why was it parked originally?? My guess is the same issue.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #11

Well the immobilizer was cleaned, new fuel and still nothing. It must be the immobilizer not letting the car start. No rats, fuse ,relay or starter issue. The box just must have failed. After cleaning the wires I forgot to put the small fuse back in the imb box. The car gave me the same power (dash lights ext) as with the fuse in. Fuse or no fuse in the immobilizer I get the same results..
Old 12-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #12

Garage
Did you check whether there is a voltage across the immobilizer fuse terminals with the fuse out? I could be that the immobilizer is getting no power!

Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #13

"This car was left in a garage for 2 years and used as a storage shelf. I am trying to bring it back to life".
Suggest you drain,Techron(or similar)flush the fuel system.New fuel filter.
Without Stabil in the gas ,it is 'good' for no more than 6 months maybe less.If you are observant, you will notice the old gas is slightly yellow.What you my not see is the jelly in the bottom of the tank and maybe in the fuel filter. This old gas problem will not cause CEL but my result in all manner of associated prblems by gumming up parts of the fuel system.
Check my recent post on how to do this. The Pelican diy has some basic/expensive errors.
Be prepared to struggle with the fuel filter.The rearmost connector up in the hump in the floor can be recalcitrant.The special tools are a pair of 'spreading' pliers to push the connector off the pipe and another pair to depress the button on the connector. Without the tools you need good access and strong fingers. Do not force it ! The fuel filter will have the yellow ,deteriorated gas in it.
After reading it, you my wisely decide to give the stinky job to a pro.
Fuel Pump Relay - Jumper- drain fuel tank

Last edited by Gelbster; 12-09-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #14
Project Addicted

Woody on here; itnotanova screen name breaks many boxsters and sells part very reasonably. To replace the immobilizer you will need at least the immob, keys door lock, ignition lock and maybe the ecu. It's a PIA for sure.

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote