Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
Coffeeandboxster

The Plucky Porsche

Hello all! I'm a longtime forum reader, but this is my first post. I just wanted to share a little about my 2001 Boxster S that I bought a little over two years ago. I spent quite a long time reading this forum and others while I searched for my car. I finally found one that met all my criteria, silver, IMS replaced, and an S. It didn't hurt that it also had a Fabspeed Exhaust and aftermarket head unit with nav. The gentlemen selling the car was several hours away in Illinois. Luckily I was able to get my dad to go down to purchase it with me, so we drove down in his 911 and after purchasing it we raced all the way back up to Milwaukee.

Shortly thereafter I loaded the little Porsche up with as many of my worldly possessions and drove her across the country to San Diego where I lived for the last two years. Even though it was in winter it was a grand adventure driving my new car, that I was head over heels in love with, across the country and arriving in a new city I'd never been to before where I had little idea where I find a place to live.

In the two years that followed I piled on almost forty thousand miles on her exploring all of southern california. From cruising along the beach with the top down, to struggling through LA traffic to visit friends, to the many many days spent just bombing around the canyons and seemingly endless mountain roads. The Plucky Porsche was my faithful companion only letting my down three times. Once when the water pump went, and the other when the alternator went. Thankfully I was able to find Performance Porsche in San Diego where I could take her and just generally hang out and talk with Mark, the owner, and his son (who was my age) about Porsches all through the ages. Mark put up with my constant questions and general desire to learn more about my beloved car.

Unfortunately the sales job that I transferred out to San Diego with was not for me. It was a very different sales culture from Wisconsin and after two years I couldn't take it anymore. I just didn't like being told to be deceitful with my customers, so I called it quits and decided to head home for awhile. So once again I loaded the car up with all the physical possessions I could (not all that many) and headed off for the midwest, stopping in Phoenix to meet up with my old boss who had relocated. Sadly just sixty miles from Phoenix I pulled over to put the top down and when I went to set off again the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. Leaking fluid from the clutch line I was lucky that it had decided to go just before all cell reception would have been lost. I was able to flat bed it a dealership in Phoenix (thank goodness for AAA) and was on my way again the next evening.

Along the way home I went a little out of the way to see the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley as well all the beautiful country through Utah and Colorado. The car performed amazingly and took me from sea level to 13,000 feet, through rain and shine.

And now it's time to let her go. I wanted to write all this as a little tribute to my Boxster that has given me some amazing driving pleasure and happiness. I'll be posting a listing in the classifides section, but I wanted to write this hear to share my Boxster story. I also wanted to thank all the wonderful people that post in this forum. All of your posts have helped me do many DIY tasks on my car from replacing the AOS to the window regulator, as well as giving me something to read on my lunch breaks. Seriously this forum is just an amazing resource and I want to thank all of you knowledgeable folks that answer questions and offer guidance. You rock! Thanks for reading and happy Boxstering to all of you!

coffeebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Thanks for posting your story and amazing photos.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #3

Awww. A love letter!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Thanks for sharing. My favorite picture is the rear view mirror.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the post and the pics.

I'm a bit sad that you're letting her go...

...but maybe someday down the road you'll meet again...
Old 10-27-2016, 03:30 AM   #6

That's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

Why is it time to sell?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
Coffeeandboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
That's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
Thanks everyone for the awesome replies!

I'm letting her go because I foolishly bought a 996 recently, and also recently left my job. I hate to let her go, but sadly I can't afford two P cars.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #9

coffeebrandon, what wheels are those? they look great!
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Coffeeandboxster

Thanks! They're Victor Equipment rims, but I don't recall the exact name of the wheels.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

thank you!
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #12

I think about a 996 from time to time. Why do you say foolishly? Not working out as you had hoped? Don't like it as much? I think it's a great time to buy a 996.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
Coffeeandboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung73 View Post
I think about a 996 from time to time. Why do you say foolishly? Not working out as you had hoped? Don't like it as much? I think it's a great time to buy a 996.
It is a great time to get a 996! I said foolishly simply because my Boxster was just a perfect car and many wear items and big stuff like the IMS had already been done. The 996 I bought is fantastic and I love it, but I bought it with almost nothing in the way of maintenance records and am going to put a fairly large amount of money into it just for peace of mind. The power diffence is certainly noticeable with the 996, and the rear engine handling characteristics. Though I like the challenge of it. Whereas with the Boxster it had more grip than I have balls and I could toss it into any corner and know it would pretty much take care of me, the 996 is a bit of a different beast. The 996 is more like "you're fine, you're fine, you're fine, you're fine, I'm going to murder you now!" But it's a blast and it is a beautiful looking car. I took it on a road trip to North Carolina the week I bought it, accompanied by my brother in his Cayman S and my dad in his 06 Carrera S and it was just a perfect introduction into the 911 world. I just now live in the full on Porsche paranoia world where I over analyze every sound and spend far too much time on the forums reading about what horrible way in which my engine will decide to grenade itself.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #14

"Unfortunately the sales job that I transferred out to San Diego with was not for me. It was a very different sales culture from Wisconsin and after two years I couldn't take it anymore."
I empathize. You did the right thing. That situation would corrode even a decent person. Hopefully your new job will enable you to visit your erstwhile customers. That for me was the sweetest revenge.Taking back all the business I had developed and hearing the accolades from customers. 20 years later, I still talk to those guys. My former employer -long gone ! Hang tough but sell the 996 not the Bxtr !

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote