View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
coffeebrandon
Coffeeandboxster

The Plucky Porsche

Hello all! I'm a longtime forum reader, but this is my first post. I just wanted to share a little about my 2001 Boxster S that I bought a little over two years ago. I spent quite a long time reading this forum and others while I searched for my car. I finally found one that met all my criteria, silver, IMS replaced, and an S. It didn't hurt that it also had a Fabspeed Exhaust and aftermarket head unit with nav. The gentlemen selling the car was several hours away in Illinois. Luckily I was able to get my dad to go down to purchase it with me, so we drove down in his 911 and after purchasing it we raced all the way back up to Milwaukee.

Shortly thereafter I loaded the little Porsche up with as many of my worldly possessions and drove her across the country to San Diego where I lived for the last two years. Even though it was in winter it was a grand adventure driving my new car, that I was head over heels in love with, across the country and arriving in a new city I'd never been to before where I had little idea where I find a place to live.

In the two years that followed I piled on almost forty thousand miles on her exploring all of southern california. From cruising along the beach with the top down, to struggling through LA traffic to visit friends, to the many many days spent just bombing around the canyons and seemingly endless mountain roads. The Plucky Porsche was my faithful companion only letting my down three times. Once when the water pump went, and the other when the alternator went. Thankfully I was able to find Performance Porsche in San Diego where I could take her and just generally hang out and talk with Mark, the owner, and his son (who was my age) about Porsches all through the ages. Mark put up with my constant questions and general desire to learn more about my beloved car.

Unfortunately the sales job that I transferred out to San Diego with was not for me. It was a very different sales culture from Wisconsin and after two years I couldn't take it anymore. I just didn't like being told to be deceitful with my customers, so I called it quits and decided to head home for awhile. So once again I loaded the car up with all the physical possessions I could (not all that many) and headed off for the midwest, stopping in Phoenix to meet up with my old boss who had relocated. Sadly just sixty miles from Phoenix I pulled over to put the top down and when I went to set off again the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. Leaking fluid from the clutch line I was lucky that it had decided to go just before all cell reception would have been lost. I was able to flat bed it a dealership in Phoenix (thank goodness for AAA) and was on my way again the next evening.

Along the way home I went a little out of the way to see the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley as well all the beautiful country through Utah and Colorado. The car performed amazingly and took me from sea level to 13,000 feet, through rain and shine.

And now it's time to let her go. I wanted to write all this as a little tribute to my Boxster that has given me some amazing driving pleasure and happiness. I'll be posting a listing in the classifides section, but I wanted to write this hear to share my Boxster story. I also wanted to thank all the wonderful people that post in this forum. All of your posts have helped me do many DIY tasks on my car from replacing the AOS to the window regulator, as well as giving me something to read on my lunch breaks. Seriously this forum is just an amazing resource and I want to thank all of you knowledgeable folks that answer questions and offer guidance. You rock! Thanks for reading and happy Boxstering to all of you!

coffeebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote