Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 AM   #61

Read the last two pages of my build thread to see what you're getting into

Old 11-23-2016, 06:41 AM   #62

I'm impressed with the knowledge sharing and cooperation of you guys.

Had no idea the lowly AOS had to fit so many operating parameters.
I guess its more than just a simple oil trap.

With any development your going to run into some bugs and it encouraging to see that the potential pitfalls have been identified so fixes can be worked out for version 2.0.

Looks like you could have 2+ versions going forward for the different displacements and oil drain arrangements.

Keep up the great work, cooperation and knowledge sharing, that's what makes this forum so awesome along with the fantastic and brainy members.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #63

"A stand alone data logger with a 2 channel manometer is the best tool for this job, so you can plot the vacuum changes in inches of water values. Overlaying that data with fuel trim plots gathered at the same time, and MAF signal can help see the real story of the changes that you made"

Seems Jake has done way more testing of the AOS than anyone at Porsche !
Now I understand why he was able to identify the problem of defective , new ,OEM AOS units.
For the good of the environment, the CARB and EPA should be encouraging such developments ,not obstructing them. Who else is going to develop effective emissions control equipment for a micro-niche vehicle for which the emissions warranty has long since expired ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #64

How's it going with testing on the 3.2?
emore93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #65

Hopefully Stelan has a fix for his kit. We really need a solution to this AOS problem and sadly Porsche OEM is an unreliable answer.
One of the differences between Stelan's system and OEM is the deletion of one 'hole' - perhaps that should be restored ?
"OIL RETURN PLUG
this is a mall rubber hose and screw to block the tiny OEM engine block oil return, this small engine block opening is not longer used and it is blocked with the Stelan AOS system."
Maybe if that hole is used in the 2.0 version of Stelan's system it would help the Fuel Trim problem? Just reconnect it via a Tee at the base of the new can ?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #66

Any additional info on how the testing is going?
emore93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #67

Garage
I've sent Stelan a few PM's but no answers.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #68

Any updates.

I have a 3.2. Any updates? Has anyone replaced the AOS hard plastic accordion hoses with rubber or silicone? I broke the lower and can’t get a new one on without taking the entire top off. If the hose was flexible I could do it in minutes.
Josephjochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #69

Garage
[QUOTE=Josephjochoa;562725]I have a 3.2. Any updates? Has anyone replaced the AOS hard plastic accordion hoses with rubber or silicone? I broke the lower and can’t get a new one on without taking the entire top off. If the hose was flexible I could do it in minutes.[/QUOTE

What year engine ?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #70
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephjochoa View Post
I have a 3.2. Any updates? Has anyone replaced the AOS hard plastic accordion hoses with rubber or silicone? I broke the lower and can’t get a new one on without taking the entire top off. If the hose was flexible I could do it in minutes.
Here's mine (below). I used clear, and put the large loop in it to hopefully catch any liquid oil that would otherwise cause the dreaded "smoke bomb" at the track. If I pop the hood and see oil int he loop, it's a very easy task to remove it, drain it / wipe it out and reinstall it.
The first effort was simply a nylon-braided-reinforced hose.... but once it was warm, it collapsed under the vacuum. This is a wire-reinforced hose and seems to be holding quite well.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #71

Garage
I like that set up. What is the diameter and length of hose? Where did you source the hose?
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #72

It will be interesting to read about the longer term effect of heat/oil on the hose. In theory, wire reinforced Silicone hose may a better choice - if you can find it.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #73

Garage
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23600

Not clear but translucent enough to see any oil.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #74
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post

I like it, but still uncertain to me if it'll collapse under vacuum, the way my first one did. But being silicone is a plus, for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post

In my experience only the steel wire reinforced tubing will withstand the vacuum in this diameter. The smaller vacuum lines can be thick wall silicone without collapsing but not the large ones we are discussing.
It will be great if the hose shown stays clear colored and does not become brittle. The silicone equivalent is expensive in clear and difficult to find.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #76

Garage
Have you seen this? Best solution I've seen so far.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ecs-tuning-baffled-oil-catch-can-8oz/003779ecs05a02~a/
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #77

I'm skeptical about the ECS system linked above because many catch can systems have been tried for the M96 and none work correctly - so far. The generic ECS catch can seems much the same as other systems.
The limiting factor on the M96 is reputed to be the low tension oil control rings if you read this and other threads.
Aos
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #78

you can simply run a catch can inline with the hose to the intake manifold. You won't remove ALL the oil, but it may save you if you have a dramatic AOS failure.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #79
Who's askin'?

The ECS (and several other) catch-can setups have provisions to "vent" back to vacuum, so I don't think the rings are the problem. As I see it, we're introducing volume to the system, but once initial vacuum is built, the added volume is not likely a problem. (I say "not likely" because I haven't tried it myself. there is theoretically a potential for the additional time required to regulate changes in vacuum in the larger volume to create a lag under part-throttle situations?)

For me, the problem with this catch-can is that I couldn't find anyplace to mount it, except in the trunk, and I don't want to do that to my street car.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #80

Why does the catch can have to be mounted in the engine bay or trunk ? Is there enough space down by the transmission ? A hose could extend from the AOS down to the catch can then up to the manifold . This would create a loop of hose plus the can plus the OEM AOS . Crazy idea ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote