Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Pls help!!! Urgent!!!

I have posted a number of threads on how problematic my boxster is, having many many problems since the start.

Today, while I was driving along the highway, I could hear the engine was making a loud noise

When I was reaching home, I could smell a thick pungent smell.

When I step on the pedal, the car was also barely moving.. I have to rev very hard

When I park my car, the smell was stronger and also there was white smoke coming from the front and there was this loud boiling or spurting sound.

When I went to check the bumper I saw this yellow liquid spurting out..

What's happening? Is it even safe to drive my car to the mechanic? He is at least 15km away

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

perspectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Don't drive it, but sounds like you already killed it.
That is coolant, most likely mixed with oil from the looks of it. Cracked head or cylinder wall is my guess...probably a goner, but you never know.

What was the temp gauge doing? Check the coolant reservoir tank in the trunk for signs of coolant/oil intermix.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

Looks like mixed with both oil and coolant?

Guess what, I just drove it for a week.

I'm so so angry with my mechanic and the seller.

Not sure if I'm reading the correct gauge but the coolant seems empty.

Are you quite positive this is not just simple coolant but likely mixed with oil? Why would you say this is a goner?

Thanks, im weighing all options now. The seller was very dishonest.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #4

IT IS NOT SIMPLE COOLANT. Don't drive your car. You have a 'Milkshake', which is oil/coolant mixed. Headgasket or cracked head is a typical cause.

Someone else weigh in..is it possible to get this from bad oil cooler O-rings? I doubt is but it is the best, bad scenario that comes to mind.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Pls continuing chipping in. My mechanic and ex seller hasn't been most honest I feel.

Everytime I ask them for mlre info.. they would say, don't worry we will sort it out for me.

Pls let me know what u think I wanna know more

Old 10-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
Intermix in the entire cooling system?
That may be from bad oil cooler o-rings, but most likely a cracked head.
You need to check the coolant reservoir tank in the rear trunk and see if you have the same goop in there, and check if the oil dipstick has the same stuff on it.
Best of luck, but it doesn't look really promising from the picture you've shown.
Don't drive the car!!!!
That intermix does not lubricate engine parts adequately and you will cause further bearing damage if you keep driving it.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
Today, while I was driving along the highway, I could hear the engine was making a loud noise
And then you continued to drive.

Quote:
When I was reaching home, I could smell a thick pungent smell.

Quote:
When I step on the pedal, the car was also barely moving.. I have to rev very hard

Quote:
When I park my car, the smell was stronger and also there was white smoke coming from the front and there was this loud boiling or spurting sound.

When I went to check the bumper I saw this yellow liquid spurting out..
Well. You really didn't continue to drive?

Quote:
I'm so so angry with my mechanic and the seller
Because they told you to continue to drive even if strange things happen?

Quote:
What's happening?
Your front cooler or a cooling line blasted. But it seems that this is not the only thing that went wrong.

Quote:
Is it even safe to drive my car to the mechanic? He is at least 15km away
No.

Last edited by Smallblock454; 10-11-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your kind input. This is my first car and I have only driven this boy for less than a week.

It has been in and out of the mechanic for the past month, with about 1 or 2 days of driving in between some major issues.

I called my mechanic. He initially attributed it to a simple coolant leak and I retorted that it looks like coolant mixed with oil.

He will come and tow it later. Will keep u guys updated.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #9

Am curious when you guys said that the car is a goner. What do you mean? What parts may be irreparably damaged that repairs would prove too costly or impossible?

Old 10-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
still plays with cars...

Garage
Car is a goner... the engine is f#%ked because you kept driving the car with literally no oil in it.
To paraphrase Smallblock 454, it was telling you to stop, but you didn't listen.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
Old 10-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

Garage
Victim of seller and mechanic

Give the guy a break!!! Do you remember or have you gone back and reviewed his first posts??? I don't care where you are, his repair bills from the shyster mechanic in my opinion are clearly someone taking advantage of him. In there it clearly states the car overheating twice while being repaired by the mechanic. I think he was sold a POS car and then the mechanic took him to the cleaners.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/63344-hello-singapore.html
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #12

They are saying that they believe your engine needs expensive repairs, which means if they are correct you will have to replace the engine. And with the cost of a Porsche engine being what it is you have two options (unless you are wealthy), find a used engine, or probably your cheapest option is to simply find another car.

Having said all this, this is their judgement reached from what you have told them. I guess if you were extremely lucky you might get by with replacing an engine head.

I really feel bad for you, obviously you have grown up and live in an environment that hasn’t given you the skills needed for car ownership. Nothing wrong with that except the learning curve has been horrible for you. Heck, its painful to watch.

Good Luck!
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #13

Indeed this is my first car and I apologize for the inconvenience I might have caused here.

Why would you guys say the engine may need repair? What are the obvious indications?

What is an engine head

Old 10-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
still plays with cars...

Garage
Sadly the OP's experiences illustrate how vital a PPI by a competent mechanic really is. Sure I feel for the guy; he's had a crappy go of it.from the start. I wouldn't wish that type of hell on anyone.
But I can't be convinced he has made things easier on himself by continuing to drive a car with an obviously damaged engine.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #15

Garage
Unfortunately I don't think the OP would recognize a damaged engine. He is still asking how an obvious intermix indicates a problem. In his original post the second time the car overheated the mechanic told him the radiator was plugged and had to be flushed. I'd bet it had intermix then....and the mechanic told him to drive it and report if anything wrong. Man this story is hard to read.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Indeed this is my first car and I apologize for the inconvenience I might have caused here.

Why would you guys say the engine may need repair? What are the obvious indications?

What is an engine head

The obvious indications are the mixing of coolant and oil. Coolant does just that, it keeps your engine in an operating temperature range that is healthy for it. Oil keeps the moving parts lubricated. They work in separate channels and are not supposed to intermingle. When they do, it means that something has failed and allowed them to mix.

Very generally, the engine is made up of the block or crankcase, and the head (or heads-- Boxsters have two). The heads and the block are bolted together. the channels of oil and the channels of coolant run through both the heads and the block. What people are saying is that it is possible that the head and the block have come apart from each other enough to allow those channels to mix fluids. That's bad, and in the case of a Porsche, pretty expensive. It can cause a lot of other things to go wrong.

We were all there once. I definitely did a lot of things I shouldn't have with my first car. If you think your car may be telling you something is wrong, stop driving it if you can. That will allow you to spend less money later.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #17
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
1. STOP DRIVING IT NOW. (Have it towed to the garage)

2. FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC NOW. (Preferably a mechanic that knows Porsche's)

3. PRAY to the motoring gods for leniency.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #18

Quote:
1. STOP DRIVING IT NOW. (Have it towed to the garage)
rex is correct. Driving it will only cause more damage and more damage means more expense to repair.

Quote:
2. FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC NOW. (Preferably a mechanic that knows Porsche's)
rex is correct….. Unless, and I hate saying this because rex is correct, rex is correct, rex is correct, but if as you said the purchase agreement was for the mechanic to repair it for free, “maybe” you should give him a chance to make good on the agreement, at this point I don’t see the harm, how could he make things worse, just don’t pay him any money. If you are ask to pay FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC.

Quote:
3. PRAY to the motoring gods for leniency.
American Humor.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #19

Garage
Attached is a simple diagram of a head and block of an engine. In a boxster it would be different as there would be two on either side, but the general concept is the same. In the head, or cylinder head, coolant and oil run in their own separate channels. Coolant cools the engine down, and oil lubricates. This is the main function of each. Oil usually will not cool an engine adequately, and coolant cannot lubricate the internal parts of an engine. When failure like this occurs and the milkshake mixture is present, it means that there is a crack in either the head or the cylinders of the engine that is allowing these two to mix. Because coolant is now in the system, and it cannot lubricate, all of the engine components deep inside the engine are now wearing out incredibly fast. If this is the case, then it is likely too late to save the engine in its present state. Sooner or later, even if you replace the head, the damage caused from driving the engine with that mixture will cause it to fail prematurely.

cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #20

Garage
I do most of the work on my 99 myself. Havent found a mechanic I trust. I have resolved most of my problems myself, without putting it on the MACHINE which costs $60 a shot. if you THINK something is weird with your car stop driving it and check it out.