View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
Indeed this is my first car and I apologize for the inconvenience I might have caused here.

Why would you guys say the engine may need repair? What are the obvious indications?

What is an engine head

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The obvious indications are the mixing of coolant and oil. Coolant does just that, it keeps your engine in an operating temperature range that is healthy for it. Oil keeps the moving parts lubricated. They work in separate channels and are not supposed to intermingle. When they do, it means that something has failed and allowed them to mix.

Very generally, the engine is made up of the block or crankcase, and the head (or heads-- Boxsters have two). The heads and the block are bolted together. the channels of oil and the channels of coolant run through both the heads and the block. What people are saying is that it is possible that the head and the block have come apart from each other enough to allow those channels to mix fluids. That's bad, and in the case of a Porsche, pretty expensive. It can cause a lot of other things to go wrong.

We were all there once. I definitely did a lot of things I shouldn't have with my first car. If you think your car may be telling you something is wrong, stop driving it if you can. That will allow you to spend less money later.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote