View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #21
geraintthomas

Right. This is the problem with owning a Porsche as your first car while knowing nothing about how it works.

I really feel for you dude, and I can completely sympathise with what's happening, but you just can't buy a car like this as your first car without knowing even a little bit with what's going on under the skin. You have to do a bit of research dude.

Now in a very basic way, let's look at that diagram that Cornontherob posted. See the cylinder head and engine block here?

Oil within the engine block lubricates all of the moving parts (and also helps cool it). All of the oil sits at the bottom of the engine block, then gets circled around to lubricate the moving parts, like this:

Coolant is the liquid that cools your engine, which gets pushed around the block to cool it down. Hot coolant goes from your engine into your radiator, the radiator cools it down, then it goes back into your engine, and so on. Like this:

The head gasket in the first diagram sits between the two ensures that the oil and coolant doesn't mix. When this fails, the oil will mix with the coolant which means two things:

- Oil can't lubricate the parts well as it's now watered down
- Coolant can't cool the engine down due to having oil in it

When the two mix, you'll get a creamy liquid which is clean coolant and thick dirty oil mixing together. One of the checks people do when buying a car is to look under the oil cap for this creamy substance, also nicknamed 'mayonnaise', as it's a sign that this has happened. So to see that it's pouring out of your car, it's sure sign that this is the case.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much catastrophic. The mixed substance has now gone around your engine and around your radiator too. All of this will need repairing and, unfortunately, it's very expensive as you're talking engine rebuild.

Now I don't want to rub it in, but when oil and coolant start to mix, the engine will start to overheat and you should have noticed the temperature gauge go up on your dashboard before any other signs happened, before any noises, engine struggling, etc. If you had stopped the car at this early stage of it starting to overheat, you could have saved it. But seeing as you drove and drove it without even thinking of googling what you should do, it looks like it's probably game over.

Again I really, really feel for you mate. But if there's anything to be learnt here, it's to do some research on some basic workings of a car. If you knew everything I said in this post (and what other people have said), which is just basic car knowledge, you could have saved the car.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 10-13-2016 at 05:27 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote